Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Subwoofer boxes

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Blazer79, Nov 4, 2000.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I'm planning on building two sealed type boxes for two 10" subwoofers behind the rear wheelwells. These subwoofers need a 0.75 cu. ft. box each. I've seen that most of the aftermarket boxes for these are 14"x15"x10", but they are square (90 deg. each corner). I think it's because their engineers found that that sounds better. Will I lose any sound quality in any way if I keep the dimensions, but change the corner angles to make a rhombus (is that the way it's called?), like the attachment shows?
    [​IMG]

Also, what is MDF? What does it look like? Where do I get it? Can it be sawed, nailed and glued together just like wood to make my boxes?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

It will not make any difference in the performance if your box is shaped like that. The reason most prefab boxes are square is because of cost. It is much easier to build a square box, it is also much easier to storea square box, amd it is also easier to ship a squarer box.

MDF is Medium Density Fiberboard. It is stronger and better the partical board. I ALWAYS use wood glue when building an incloser, and a nail gun. I think you can get it from Home Depot, or maybe Payless. Good luck and HAVE A NICE DAY!!

[​IMG]
    http://dblazer.coloradok5.com

3. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

As long as you have the correct amount of airspace, shap doesn't really matter.

BONDO WILL FIX ANYTHING!!!

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Help me out here DBlazer. I seem to remember something about if you make a cube box, then the waves change and the sub won't sound as good. I heard it somewhere a long time ago, but I can't remember it all. I think maybe they were called square waves. Do you have any idea what I'm talking about?
    I don't have to worry about that much anymore since the only boxes I install are the sh--ty prefab Best Buy ones. lol

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. KingSmoth

KingSmoth Registered Member

Yeah, I believe it can create standing waves. I use 3/4" MDF, Liquid Nails, and screws for a tight seal. Liquid Nails is the bomb.

6. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Richard Clark wrote an article that talked about standing bass waves and encloser sizes and the like. Basically what he said is that most of it really doesnt matter. I totally agree. I hear people talking about their airspace in a box. 1.75 or 2.89 or whatever. It really doesnt have to be that specific. 1.5 or 2., .5 or 1. A car ia the worst possible enviroment for a car audio system. You have carpet obsorbing sound and glass reflecting it. seats the change sound waves and headliner that kills it. Do get what I mean. Standing bass waves blah blah. Not really a factor unless you are building an Extreme db machine. Even then i wonder. ANyway, my .02 !!!!!

[​IMG]
    http://dblazer.coloradok5.com

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I just found a shop that sells MDF here in my country. I'll buy it next week and see how it goes building the box.

Thanks again.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

8. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

Dblazer is right. I have built some CRAZY[​IMG] shaped boxes and they all sounded fine.

[​IMG] '87 Beast
    Colorado, USA

9. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

does anyone have bazooka tubes? i think it would be more practical for me cause i can take it out easier when i take the top off, or am i wrong?
    help!

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    "DONT BE PROUD IF IT AINT LOUD!"