Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Subwoofer in factory console?? (searched)

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 88K5Jimmy, May 3, 2005.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Has anybody attempted to make the factory console into a sub enclosure? I have the itch to leave the top off for good but the 15" that sits behind the rear seat reminds me of how much I like bass. i know I won't be able to fit a 15" in a factory console or even between the seats for that matter but I was wondering if anybody has attempted to use part of the factory console as a sub box? I did some quick measuring and an 8" would definitely fit but I think a 10" would be pushing it. I would like to be able to use some of the console to store stuff but would there be enough box space for an 8" or 10"? Also, will an 8" put out enough bass?

Thanks and pics are always welcome

2. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

I hevent seen one done, but I have toyed with the idea some... I was thinking that raising the center console about 2" and putting an 8" sub firing downward in an enclosure design that utilized most of the console, (all but maybe the top 3-4") and leaving the remaining space at the top of the console for small items like papers, maps, cds and such. Was actually thinking the best way to do this would be to get a trashed console and cut the top 3" off it and then use the opening as a template to make an MDF board that would then be put in the good console and screwed in place, then cutting a hole in the bottom of the console for the sub and port and then lining the entire interior with fiberglass to add ridgidity, then finally install the sub and wire it up.

This would be a somewhat stealth install and should provide enough umph for most people... will it hit like a 15... nope, but then again if you get a very efficient 8" sub and run it with clean power, I imagine you'll be pretty satisfied considering you have your top off all the time and dont want your sub stolen.

3. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

My buddy did exactly what you are talkin about. He put a 12 in sub in the factory console up firing into the cab. He used a piece of mdf for the top and left the factory console for the encloser. It short, it sounded like crap. The plastic flexes way to much for this to work. Your best bet would be to build a new console out of MDF to make it sound good.