Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SUBWOOFER poll

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Rebel-Rider, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Rebel-Rider

Rebel-Rider 1/2 ton status

hey im trying to decide what subwoofers to use im gonna use 2 12's or 2 15's let me hear what your running or what you would run if you had the money and why

2. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

I'm running 2 12's now in my sonoma, and my next system I'm planning on running 1 15 with a lot of power to push it. But in a blazer I think I'd just run 2 12's w/ a lot of power

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I use to run 2 Pioneer 12s in a bandpass box with a 600 watt amp in my Jimmy when it was a daily driver. It hit and sounded really good. If I had to do it again I would do it like my buddies 4runner though. 3 Diamond Audio 15s with a 1000 watt amp /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Adam,

There is a temptation to buy the biggest subwoofers possible to get lots of bass. I suppose it depends on what you call "bass" though...

When you hear one of those cars driving by with the stereo cranked and you hear the rumble from a long ways off....it's usually a box designed to boost frequencies in the 60Hz range. It's easy to do, and it's CHEAP to do. The only problem is that it's not accurate, and after a while you'll get bored with it......the subs will completely overpower the rest of the music.

A lot of folks will judge how hard a system "hits" by listening to music where the drummer uses a double-bass drum and the "attack" is very fast. In a good system you will hear each drum beat of the bass drums....in other systems, it will just be a muddled, rumbling bass note. The problem I believe, is that most people don't realize how important the "mid-bass" speakers are to making this sound right.....it's NOT just a subwoofer issue!

My stereo is set up to demonstrate this phenomenon. I have switches that allow me to shut off specific speakers in the system so that I can listen to "just the subs" or "just the mid-basses" or "just the tweeters". You would be amazed at how MUCH of that "double bass drum" is coming from the mid-bass speakers!!! I gave this demo to CK5 members "RyanB" and "4x4High"(Scott) recently, and I'll bet if you ask them they'll tell you the results were surprising, but true!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

My point is that is it MUCH more important to "blend" your subwoofers with your mid-bass drivers to get an accurate "hard hitting" system.

By the way, my system uses "only" (2) 10" subwoofers...but I also use (4) 6" Mid-Basses. If you are curious to see more about it, you can follow the link to the system install in my .sig line.

Hope this gives you some more to consider....and some new ideas to think about.

5. Rebel-Rider

hey greg thanks i was looking at your boxes and i might build some like that i have a 1984 jimmy and what i was wondering is how big in cu. ft are your boxes a piece and also i think im going to go with 2 12" or 4 10" what would you suggest brand i was looking at the kicker solobaric ps would 2 solobaric12"l7 or 3 12" solobaric L5 all hooked up to a 1200wt kicker amp, and i dont know if you saw my other post but what i was wondering is if i do a system that has around 1500-1800 watts what should i do get a new alternator, capacitors, both, dual battery?????? im a little stumped on this issue thanks ADAM

6. Rebel-Rider

greg72 sent you a PM on jl audio subs and such

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Adam,

The boxes in my K5 are just under 1 cu ft each, and they are ported. I followed the JL Audio recommendations EXACTLY and they came out really good.

To be honest, it sounds like you are going WAY overboard with the amount of equipment you are considering! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif The BIG systems like the one you are starting to design get expensive in a hurry because of all the "extra" things you need to do.....you have started to notice this on your own. Things like stiffening caps, bigger alternators, dual battery setups.....add a LOT more cost and complexity to the system. And we haven't even discussed the REST of the equipment that you'll need (Head unit, crossovers, midbasses, tweeters, amps for everything else, power distribution blocks, LOTS of wire, etc.

My biggest concern is that you are planning an "over the top" stereo system and I get the impression that you haven't really done many stereo installations before. It may prove to be an overwhelming project to try to do by yourself. I spent over 200 hours installing my system, and getting everything designed and wired up that way I needed. Are you willing to spend THAT kind of time (or more?) installing your system?

I'm not trying to be a "downer"....but I do think you haven't fully considered the magnitude of what you are about to start.....cost-wise, and time-wise.

There is no reason why you can't "plan" the BIG system that you want, and build towards it. In fact that's how most of my BIG systems got done. I made the overall plan, and then installed the "basic" equipment to start with, and added more amps and speakers as time and money allowed.

If you want, you can let me know ALL the equipment you are planning to install, and I can probably help you break it down to a more manageable "Installation Phases" so that you can still get the ULTIMATE system, but in more manageable blocks of time and money. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Just some more thoughts for you.... from someone who's been "over his head" plenty of times!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

2 x 12" MTX thunder 5000s...

J

9. Rebel-Rider

thanks, but i wont be installing any of the stuff myself i well have a friend do it for me or help me,, or the local stereo shop will install it all i really dont think that im going overboard i am planning to spend $1000-1400 and a caraudicrazy.com's prices i can afford quite a bit of stereo equipment,,,,, as for amps for midbass i bout two orion cobalt 400wt amps for $75 i have a rockford fosgate headunit and i will definately put in more speakers not just subs thanks ADAM

10. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

My biggest concern is that you are planning an "over the top" stereo system and I get the impression that you haven't really done many stereo installations before. It may prove to be an overwhelming project to try to do by yourself. I spent over 200 hours installing my system, and getting everything designed and wired up that way I needed. Are you willing to spend THAT kind of time (or more?) installing your system?

I'm not trying to be a "downer"....but I do think you haven't fully considered the magnitude of what you are about to start.....cost-wise, and time-wise.

There is no reason why you can't "plan" the BIG system that you want, and build towards it. In fact that's how most of my BIG systems got done. I made the overall plan, and then installed the "basic" equipment to start with, and added more amps and speakers as time and money allowed.

If you want, you can let me know ALL the equipment you are planning to install, and I can probably help you break it down to a more manageable "Installation Phases" so that you can still get the ULTIMATE system, but in more manageable blocks of time and money.

Just some more thoughts for you.... from someone who's been "over his head" plenty of times!!

<hr></blockquote>

You said it better then i did when trying to answer this question for him... Thanks

11. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> 2 - 12's is all you need ! Even some 10's pound plenty !

12. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

When I get a box and amp, my brother has a 12" sub for me... he's got a 12" in his Taurus and it's pretty good... You can't hear each individual bass beat thing, but if I get something like that, I'll handle it for a while, I just don't like that what I have now has NO bass, and it sounds like crap... but my two speakers are also out in the open... hmmmmm

13. wahbob

wahbob Registered Member

2 12" Jl Audio W3's

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'VE BEEN INTO POUNDING STERIO SYSTEMS FOR QUITE AWHILE NOW. I'VE TRYED ALOT OF SUBS. I PERSONALLY THINK THAT THE MMATS JUGGERNAUTS ARE THE BEST SUBS YOU CAN BUY. I WOULD ALSO USE A MMATS CLASS D AMP. IF YOU'RE INTRESTED, YOU CAN CHECK IT OUT AT www.MMATS.COM I'M NOT A SALESMAN FOR MMATS, I'M JUST A AUDIOFILE, AND I THINK MMATS MAKES THE BEST SUBS ON THE MARKET. MY SECOND CHOICE FOR SUBS WOULD BE TREO ENGINERRING

15. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Rebel-Rider Make sure that caraudiocrazy is an authorized dealer because a lot of the places i looked at when i was in the market for subs were really cheap but not an authorized dealer,try <a target="_blank" href=http://www.thezeb.com>www.thezeb.com</a>, but about the subs i have 2 12" Audiobahn Alum12x's and they seem to sound good considering my box is to small.

16. blazingjesse

blazingjesse 1/2 ton status

I'm just running a fosgate he2 15" sub Way more than enough for me.

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I really want a set of "Treo Engineering" subs !!! My friend Carrie has a pair of 15"s powered by a MMATS D-100. The first time I rode in her Explorer she played "My name is mud" by Primus and it hit so hard I thought my head would cave in !!!!

18. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Let me know if you guys need some audiobahn we just picked the line up here at my store. I haven't been able to play with them much yet. As always I do it for little of cost for the K5 family. Yet if it was me I would look into Crossfire. I am with team crossfire and have never been hapier with any overall car audio product line.

19. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Never thought I'd hear someone mention Treo on this forum, but I'm running 2 CSX 18's, I like them.

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

So the Treo's doing good for you, kewl, as soon as I get the money up, I'm getting a pair of 15's for my Blazer.