Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

subwoofers..... and the box you put them in.

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Prembird, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Ok we have all got our favorites when it comes to subs... What i wanted to discuss in this thread is the box you intend to put them in.. Lets start off by saying that it really doesnt matter what type of sub you have.. Also most of your boom comes from the box... I.E. a jl audio sub and a fosgate sub will sound the same in a ported, bandpass, isobaric box.... So with the sub question out of the way on which is better.. .what type of boxes would you use if you could build it, had the room for it, etc....

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I prefer a sealed box. I liston to mostly metal and alturnitive.

3. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Man this is a pretty open ended question. I will go with the fact that "most" of your output comes from the box and not the brand of speaker (this has to be within reason and only used on quality subs)

So now you are talking about desining a box for an unknown sub with an unknown purpose. I have 4 vehicles right now with 4 different boxs in each and I like them all, but they all have thier purpose. My 80 Impulse has a 12 cubic foot enclosure for one 15" with a 286 cubic inch port (that is big enough for me to crawl into and I am 6'1") My honda accord has a 4 cubic foot sealed enclosure for 2 12"; my chevy z71 has a custom single reflex bandpass enclosure in it and my blazer has a set of free air on a baffel board mounting in the side (it is going soon since it is an offroad only vehicle)

Now I like all the enclosures and I use all of them for a specific reason. Sealed enclosures will play a wier range of tones, the do require a bit more power to get the same amount of output as a ported enclosure, and they provide more suspension for the sub then a ported enclosure and this leads to a longer life for your subs. So for the general user a sealed enclosure is much better and for a shadetree box builder a sealed enclosure is the best.

A ported enclosure will provide about 3 more DB at the same power input over a sealed, but you will have more wear and tear on the sub itself and you limit yourself to a narrow band of tone. It takes some knowledge to tune a ported enclosure and you can't just take a sealed enclosure and cut some holes in it. I have spent countless hours on the 12 cubic foot enclosure just tuning the port. To kinda show the effect of a port on a sub I can tell you that by removing only 1 inch from my port length I gained 4 db at 70hz yet when I removed one more inch I lost 6 db. The only way to find this is by using a mic and test tones. You can't do it by ear.

Overall without going into a five page summary of all the enclosures I would suggest a sealed enclosure for most subs. Yet you need to design your enclosure for "YOUR" needs and "YOUR SUBS" needs. I would never suggest a new L7 in a small sealed encosure but I would highly recommend it in a large single reflex bandpass. But the Crossfire C2 shines in a sealed enclosure and sounds blown in a ported, unless you step up to a Crossfire P1 that rocks in a small sealed and a large dual ported enclosure, I could go on and on with brand after brand. So in the end it depends on your preference and listening style and your subs.

4. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

The reason i left the question "Open ended" like i did is to find out what people prefer... I.E. what they listen to and which box they feel suited them best... I apologize if it came off as if i was asking what type of enclosure i should use. I just wanted to get other opinions on different type of enclosures...

5. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

I'd build another sealed box for mine anyday. To me the sound is much more accurate, and feeding it enough power it's loud and clean, which I like. I listen to pretty much anything on mine, mostly rock and country, and its just great.

6. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I have a home made bandpass box mounted between my front two seats. The ports point towards the rear of the truck. I drove with the top off recently and was surprised to still be able to hear a fair ammount of the bass from the box. I wonder the box was in the rear if the sound would get lost easier.

7. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know anything about building a "non resonating" box? My friend has a box he says was designed so that it wouldn't resonate and rattle, so all you get bass and not the vibration of your car.

Also, does the shape of the box make a differnece in sound? I was thinking about getting or making some plywood rear side panels for my Blazer and building a sub box into the panel (I think some other members have done this). I think to fit the box would have to be shaped a little funny though. Is that going to change the quality of the sound?

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Is a square sealed box bad for subwoofers in terms of the frequencies canceling each other out? or is that just something i made up?