Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Subwoofers behind the seat in a regular cab K10/20/30 truck....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

How the hell do ya do it without being smashed into the steering wheel? Is there a way to make a 12 fit behind the seat of a regular cab truck? I have one of these-
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tXSei1k2cOW/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=520&I=108PER121

Pretty bad ass sub, and I'd love to use it...
    It's in a box that's as shallow as is possible...theres like 1/8" between the magnet and the inside of the box. Can't make another one shallow enough. Has anyone made a 12 fit? A 10? Maybe a couple of good 8's? The seat pretty much ahs to stay all the way back....I'm a big dude. So who has what?

2. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

I built a box with 2 / 10's but I don't think you could get 12's in a box behind the seat . I'm building a new box with 1 / 10 and 2 / 8's for my crew cab and using 4 Infinity kappa 6x9's in the door's . I still like having some room behind the passenger bench seat in the crewcab for tools & stuff . The burb has no tunes at this time .

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  3. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can make a box for under the seat, For the bigger subs that is not a big deal. Or I'm sure you could make some cool kicker panels. There is always a way to get the sound you want. I am looking for another amp (1000watts)my self. I am currently runnin two MTX 10's off of 1200watts. Need 12's Anywho good luck and have a blast man

4. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I have seen 3 10's behind the seat of a 80's c-10 before, wish I had snapped a pic, but I don't recall the seat really being foward much at all.
    Me and my cousin (who is an audio expert, and hands out at caraudioforums) have been talking about builing a cheap system for the burb. We don't want sound quality, just want it to be SUPER loud. We are going to piece it together completely from used and remanufactured items. Going to get a cheap head unit, remanufactured amp, and two 15" Kicker L7's in a big ported box we will make. That is the plan at least. He's shopping around for deals for me right now. The goal is to keep the total budget under $350, but that's a long shot.

Right now I have 2 MTX 10's in a thunderform box under the rear seat of my extended cab '96 dodge 2500. Pushing it with an Alpine class D M-350 amp. It hits ok I guess, nothing very special. Hopefully the system in the burb is gonna blow it away.
    thanks,
    James

5. gn4u2c

gn4u2c 1/2 ton status

you need to go to a good auto shop and locaate a sub that uses a small chamber that way you can build a box with a lower volume giving you more space . :)

6. Propayne

Propayne Registered Member

buy shallow subwoofers, they need around 3 inches of box space

7. Zeus33rd

So I guess I'm SOL with the 12 I have...That sucks ass. I guess I can make a box for some 10's. Thanks for the replies. :)

8. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

A single 10" is plenty for a truck cab. If you need help with the box, I can whip one out for ya. Just let me know what speaker and how trick you want it. I spent 15 years making cars go boom. I retired from building show trucks, but still tool around every now and again.

DSC00246.JPG

DSC00249.JPG

9. Zeus33rd

Can't see the pictures cause I'm not a member...Can ya upload them to PhotoBucket or somthin and post them that way?

You could make me a box that would fit behind the seat of a regular cab truck? I have 8.5" of space at the bottom and 5.25" at the top.:eek1: Basically the exact same dimensions as this Q-logic box-
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-t3m0GW92svJ/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=178650&I=044T6510SB

This is the speaker I would want to use-
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-s0GEmPgLGLI/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=520&I=108PER101D

Doesn't have to be trick at all...Just a sealed box that'll fit back there. :) Lemme know what you'd want for something like that....

My email is Carpe_diem76@comcast.net ....Thanks dude!:wink1:

10. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Joe, the pics were just of a rig I worked on. We charged around 3k for the box, but you can look at those at www.amesaudio.com. No charge for the box if I have the materials lying around. I will drop my number in an email.

11. Zeus33rd

Sweet dude....Thanks! :bow:

12. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

ive got 4- Resonant Enginering RE8's. im planning on putting them in custom boxes in the side panels of my k5 right behind the front seats. right now, they are in a big ported box. they have like a 3.75" or so mounting depth, which is why i bought them..... they sound badass too.... will handle 200w rms. im pushing the 4 i've got with a jbl 600.1 mono amp, and i'm impressed at how hard and clean these 8's hit. i'm actually going to switch from a ported to a sealed, because its just too loud for me. oh yeah, the best part, they were CHEAP.

www.reaudio.com

here's some pics of mine:
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150090

13. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

In a regular cab, if you want alot of cone area, clearly the best way to do it is with an array of smaller subs such as 8's, rather than larger subs like a 12"+. 12's and even most 10's are simply too deep for anything other than extreme installs. For example, here's what a guy from s10forum did behind the seat with 12 (yes twelve) RE8's in his regular cab S10 (much smaller truck):

[​IMG]

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/audioholic/778491_91.jpg

Here's his cardommain page if you want to see more:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/778491/1