Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Success in last weekends projects

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Scooter, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

First off I want to thank my younger brother Greg (Prembird) for helping out on Saturday. If it wasnt for him I'd probably still be working on it.

Got lots done to the Jimmy this weekend. Starting Friday, I changed out the fuel filter and took off the running boards. At about 9:30am on Saturday Greg showed up, we made a quick run to O'Reillys for some last minute things and got started on the Jimmy by about 10:30am. We decided to start with the tranny cooler and O2 sensor. So while Greg was taking the grill off I decided to change the O2 sensor. I let it soak with Liquid wrench penetrating oil for about 5 minutes and it came right off. We got the tranny cooler put in quickly. So quickly in fact that I thought that we missed something. The destruction ..err instructions ... said that it should take about 1hour, I think it took us maybe 30 minutes.

After all that we got started on the valve seals. The valve covers came off easily enough but we did have to remove the AC compressor to get the drivers side off. Unfortunately O'Reillys did not have the tool that goes into the spark plug hole so we could use compressed air so we had to use the "rope trick". Basically we got the piston close to TDC and then started shoving rope into the chamber until it wouldnt go in any more then brought the piston up to TDC. It worked like a charm. I was nice to know that there was a positive barrier there to keep the valves from falling into the cylinder. The seals were all kinds of messed up. ALL of them on the exhaust side were toast. The best one of them came out in like 4 pieces and about 1/2 of them werent even there. Most of the intake sides were ok except for cyls #1 and #5. Got all of them changed out and put back together thinking that we got all of the valves adjusted right. Spent about another hour or so on changing the spark plug wires (dont ask!) and put it all back together. It seems we goofed a coulpe of the valves on the pass side but by then it was closing in on 8pm and we were both beat so I figured I'll adjust the valves and put the grill back on Sunday. Sunday afternoon I adjusted the valves and put the grill back together and took it for a test drive. WOOHOO!! No smoke, runs smooth, has some extra pep (which is a good thing considering i still have 3.08 gears!). All in all it was a successful weekend. I drove it to work today, no leaks, only a hint of smoke at start up, all is GOOD!!!

Now, what to do next weekend???

Scot in KC, MO.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.ws/images/users/Scooter/side_right_2.jpg>Blue 87 GMC Jimmy</a>
    Red 86 Toyota 4Runner (for sale $2000 obo)

2. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

wish all my work went that smoothly.

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 6" lift, 36" TSL Radials, 14 Bolt, Rancho 9012s

3. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

well just give me a call.. more then happy to come down and help ya out some more..... And dont let him get off that easy.... he forgot a bigest pai of it all... the damn tool we got to compress the springs kept slipping off over and over again... it was kinda a pain to use but better then nothing...

Maybe next time they other guys that showed up will actually help us out.. hehehe [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]