Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SUCCESS!!! The disc brakes work!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well... long story but after some research online, many posts both here and at Off-Road.com and I have figured it out. It wasnt the proportioning valve at all. I was reading about the valves, and bleeding etc. and they mentioned that all the bleeder screws have to be pointed up to bleed them, and that a guy has to rotate the caliper to make it happen. Well, I ran out, removed the calipers, bled them upright, and bolted them back on and voila! Rear brakes. Felt a little sheepish, but chalk it up to a learning experience, and here I am putting it out for you all not to make the same mistake.
    I will post some pics in my gallery next week. It was very cheap, easy and works awesome. A longer road test is happening tomorrow, so I hope everything continues working.

Thanks for the advice and support.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

How much did the conversion cost, Mike?

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</a>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, I havent added up the bills yet, but sumthin like this...
    stock backing plates: free off a wreck truck I stripped last yr.
    New stock rotors: $37.00 per side
    New stock calipers: $41.00 minus 20.00 for the old cores (from the wreck again) so $21.00 per side
    New stock flex lines: $30.00 per side
    New steel lines from the T to the flex lines: about $10.00
    New stock front studs x12: $42.00
    about 4 bottles of fluid: $20.00 (cause of all the bleeding and rebleeding)
    Couple of odd sized drill bits: $50.00 (a bit of trial and error sizing)
    That about does it. Oh and about 30 hrs of my time... : priceless [​IMG]

So totalled up I guess about $300.00. Not bad as far as I can see.
    BTW, I am going to pick up a pair of thin spacers, I think they are 1/4", cause my lug nuts (deep dish because of my rims) are bottoming out... the front studs pulled thru a bit too far and there is a shoulder on them. They are about $8.00 per side. You may not require them.

Any more questions let me know!

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

5. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

what truck did the backing plates come off? did you also use the mounting bracket that came off the truck? and how much modification did it take to make them fit?

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, the backing plate is from an 82 Chev pickup... but its the same as mine from my 85. It incorporates the caliper mount and plate into one, the calipers bolt right to the back plate. It didnt take that much to get them to fit. I cut the opening wider so they would fit over the axle tube and bolt on from the back. Then the rotor is put onto the back of the axle shaft, and the new front studs are put thru from the back and pressed in to hold the rotor the same as they are on the front. You have to drill the stud holes in the axle a little bigger to accept the new studs but thats about it.
    BTW, I cant take credit for the mod. Steve Frisbie has done it to his Blazer, and I tapped him for instructions as well. I will answer anything on how to do it, but he deserves the credit!

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]

7. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Mike,

Not sure If I am thinking right, but couldn't you swap sides on your calipers and rotate them 180 degrees to where your bleeders point up? This way you will never have to remove them to bleed them. Just a thought...

One thing I immediately noticed about my disks, you can now hold yourself on most hills - Unless you are on the trails at Disney*, Right: Ken, Steve, Layne???[​IMG]

* See the Disney Trail Writeup coming soon....

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://ww.mudzer.rockcrawler.com>ww.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</a></font color=blue>

8. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Hey Mudzer... I came to exactly the same conclusion today when I was sitting there staring at them. They are in the same relative position on the back plate as the fronts... the fronts have thier bleeder screws pointing straight up... the backs are pointing down and back at an angle. My mind started adding up the angles and then I realized I put the left caliper on the right and vice versa. OOPS!! Felt another wave of sheepishness and vowed never to tell anyone about it. But here we are... [​IMG]
    So, the next time I find myself removing the calipers, they will get reversed, and will make bleeding much easier! Go figger...
    LOL

I dont think there can be any ill effects from running them on the opposite sides is there?
    Later, and thanks for the input.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What axle did you do the conversion on? From what you said about putting the front backing plates on the rear, I would assume 10 bolt. Just wanted to clarify. Thanks

There is a Right way, a Wrong way, and then there is My way. The latter is usually the most fun! [​IMG]

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

LOL, I did the same thing. It was WAAAY late at night when I did it and I didn't catch it till a few days later. I still haven't turned them over. It's hell to try and get the blazer in the garage right now. I must have bled the brakes a hundred times trying to get them to work. [​IMG]

Kyle
    89K5

11. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I converted my rear 12bolt. The front parts were from a Dana44.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]

12. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

would you post pics?

<font color=red> and everybody knows that the world is full of stupid people</font color=red>

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Could you also put the backing plate/caliper mount on the outside of the axle flange and then mount the rotor to the outside of the axle?

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>