Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Success!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I'm excited. I'm trying to install ArchLinux on my friend's laptop. No big deal, except he has a Dell Inspiron 6000 (Centrino thing :( ). My net connection is wifi, and that requires the ipw2200 drivers. Which have to be downloaded =\.

So, instead of playing musical jump-drive for hours on end, I got out my ethernet router, connected it to the nic in my desktop. Connected the laptop to the router. Set up a DHCP daemon on the nic interface, and wrote a masq/bridge script using iptables.

Solution: laptop now has ethernet internet until I can configure it for wifi. I think I'm going to try to write some smart scripts to figure out whether it's connected on etherenet or it should search for a wifi ap. I've already got it configured to switch between the integrated keyboard/pad and bluetooth :D

If you understand what I said, you get some bonus points.

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know what a laptop is, do I get any points for that?:dunno:

3. cbbr

[​IMG]I also like the ads for linux

4. cbbr

5. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

damn dood .... alot of work for a standard tcp/ip

uninstall this suck and use a mans linux. in slack you would have had to do the following.

plug in cables
    ifup eth0
    dhcpcd

BANG network

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

The IPW2200 drivers are only in the most recent kernels. Also, I'm setting up his laptop to adapt to different connection states. It can now figure out itself on bootup whether it should be using wifi or ethernet.

I just had to set up the freak bridge thing to give it ethernet access. My wifi connection is remote from my location, so I have no AP or router to directly connect to. My main linux box serves as a gateway for anything plugged into my ethernet router.