Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Such a DEAL!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Grim-Reaper, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well I just had to tell somebody so I guess I'll tell everybody.
    Had a customer come in today. Pulled up in a SUPER clean 72 K5. Looked great. Get talking to the guy and tell him about CK5 and talked K5's for a few minutes. Well I mentioned I loved that body style and had missed out on a 2wd Blazer in the paper and that a 70 SUb had been for sale recently no running for $500. He asks if I'm interested in a Sub. Told him Maybe. Turns out he has a 70 2wd sitting in his driveway. Lobe on the cam wore off he pulled the cam got all the parts to put it together but never got around to it. Tells me $250 it's yours come get it. Yes Two hundered and fifty dollars. Said floors are solid, Truck is southern and the only real problem with the body is the passenger side rocker has a couple rust holes in it. Going to go look at it in the next couple day's and see if it's for real and worth my time.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>

Grim-Reaper

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Good luck Brother!!
    Hope it's a winner!
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

How could it not be worth $250 bills? Buy-It-dude!

Twiztid

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

some people have all the luck, if you don't want it let me know.

5. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Congrat's Grim...
    Good things to happen to people who have patience.. [​IMG]

A well armed society is a polite society.UPDATED <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com>www.rocko.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Wow! What a steal! [​IMG]

I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Dammit Grimmy, why do you get all the deals?[​IMG]

Sounds like a score. Hope it turns out for yah.

Beer!!!! Its not just for breakfast anymore!!.[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

8. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

I am with Twiztid, How could it not be worth $250?! Awesome deal, let us see pics when you get it.

Good lord. The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up it's butt.

9. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

congrats hope it works out for you[​IMG]

77blazer see it at<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</a>

10. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

man grim, whadda ya have to do to be like you??? [​IMG]

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My friend got a K10, rotten body, 305/TH 350/NP 203 10bolt/12 bolt for $200 drive it home nothing wrong with it.

SO WE'RE GOING TO TOUGH TRUCK IT!!!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My friend got a K10, rotten body, 305/TH 350/NP 203 10bolt/12 bolt for $200 drive it home nothing wrong with it. 4" blocks all around 35" Ground Hawgs.

SO WE'RE GOING TO TOUGH TRUCK IT!!!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

13. Grim-Reaper

Went and looked at it tonight. Little more rust than I was expecting. some surface rust and a weird hole above the windsheild. It is all there though. beach seats front and rear...those have to go. floor does seem solid but the rocker is horrible! it's up into the lower door frame on the hinge side. This seems to be a common issue because Year one list a repair pannel for it. thankfull the BAD rust is pretty well isolated to that area. drivers door has a busted hinge. so I didn't open it but the rocker looked ok over there. some rust in the rear 1/4's. typical stuff. some ruse around the body seam on the rear but no rust through yet. little areas like that in several places. passenger side door looks full of bondo and probably rusted out on the bottom but repair pannels available. Body is VERY straight in regards to dents. didn't fin any signs of fenders full of bondo hiding rust other than that door. Had a 286 (think that's right) according to the badge but according to the guy it now has a 327. Like I said he told me the came was bad. He has already installed a new cam, water pump and timming chain. Just needs the intake installed and valves lashed. Has new break cylinder but unfortunatly it has drum fron brakes that I will have to dump and convert to disc. It's a 6 lug 2wd so I may be stuck with the $900 stainless disc conversion kit. Anybody ever mess with that?.
    I think it will soon be residing at my place. Gee the parking lot grows.
    Got a real good look at his 72 CST K5. Not a wave in the body! restored to original other than a nice set of aftermarket wheels. Get this...402 engine! just as clean under the hood as the rest of the truck.
    The collection of old GM iron looks like it will soon grow.

<a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>

Grim-Reaper

14. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

It always seems like someone elses idea of rust is someone elses NIGHTMARE!!! [​IMG] Everybody has their own opinion about rust.

BTW, I will give you $200 for it!! [​IMG] And you deliver to me. [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>

15. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Get this! I just bought an '85 K5 yesterday that is complete and rust free. The body is as straight as a pin and the truck has 121,000 miles on it. The transmission is messed up and the old guy that had it just wanted to get rid of it. Picked it up for $800. I always hear about people getting good deals, and this is the first one I have ever fallen in to! WHOOOO HOOOO!!!!!

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

16. Grim-Reaper

Heck compaired to my 75 the rust in this looks minimal [​IMG] I had to cut out all the way to the tranny tunnel on both side to fix the 75. Just a rocker pannel and some lower rear fenders and this one is done. Motor would run once it's back together. Now if it's any good and smoking is yet to be seen but it can be made to run. Tranny I can rebuild for $100 if it has any problems.
    Just like the old body trucks....Think that 3 door stuff is great. This may make an excelent family hauler once it has some A/C. I think it may be come a prerunner. 33's 6 inch lift and prerunner bumpers. The lift will have to wait the the youngest is self loading. That's the problem Lady Reaper is having with the 79.

Grim-Reaper

17. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Do it! Can you say tow vehicle? (After the disc swap, of course!) Looks like I have to buy something else now, too. I can't let you be tied. Maybe not the wife would kill me, then again, she is going out of town for a week. LOL. Let me know if you get it I would love to check it out.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com>www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com</a>

18. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well Grim, I went back by the place I had told you about in regards to those "axles" I had a run down to the jail thats close by it. Left a business card on his door with my contact info and what he had told me in the previous conversations (about 2-3 months ago now) Have not heard back from him. I am gonna bug him till I speak to him again and go from there.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</a>

19. fatdog

fatdog Registered Member

The disc conversion isn't too bad mostly just time. I've never used a kit though, just robbed the parts from a 71 or 72. The last one I helped with was my friends 67 GMC 2wd. The doner truck was a 71 chev wreck. Also it was a 5 lug which I like better for the 2wd's anyway, so it also inluded the rear end swap. Take everything from the spindles out, and the front brake line as well. Then you'll need new ball joints for the year of the doner truck. Then just R&amp;R using all the disc stuff. Look around for a doner 71 or 72, the 71 wreck purchased for a doner truck on the above conversion was bought for $50.00. I think he spent about another $150.00 for the new ball joints, new seals &amp; rotor machining. So for $200.00 &amp; some time, he did a 5 lug disc brake &amp; rear end conversion, plus got some other good parts out of the deal including 2 good doors.

These trucks are around, we just found another one yesterday. It's a 5 lug 71 2wd that's been sitting in a guys back yard for 10 years. He said it ran when he parked it. Also said he might sell it for $100.00, but needed a couple of days to think about it. You can bet we'll be checking back on that one!

Rob

Self and Spouse Proclaimed GM Junkie
    She thinks I'm Sick and... She's Right

20. Grim-Reaper

Yeah I did some looking around on a few other sites. The conversion kit isn't a bad deal. I found another company that does it. The kit's I'm looking at are complete. Keeps it 6 lugs so saves the rear end conversion. Comes with a master cyl, proportioning valve, brake hoses, ball joints, tierod ends discs, calipers and brackets. Really when you add up the parts it's not a bad deal
    Also the A arms from the 73 up 2wds can be swapped on by swaping out the saddle. That way it would be all off the shelf parts. Most people recomend just buying the whole frame front complete and that gets you the proportioning valve and all the mounting hardware and usualy a newer close ratio box. Most are saying they can get that for about $150. Still need to rebuild but nothing fancy, all parts available at the local part store deal. Just leaves you with the rear end conversion to 5 lug. That's probably not a big deal as long as the 70 uses the same length shafts and same spline as 71up.
    Hey Depdog you still got that rusted 2wd K5? it would have the parts I need to do the conversion!.
    Big reason I wouldn't mind the 6 lug is if I do prerunner the truck the 4x4 rally wheels bolt right on. But the truth is I would probably buy some nicer wheels so I could pick the lug pattern I want.
    My big problem is Time and space. probably get it running pretty quick but it needs a LOT of time spend on the body. $250 for the truck is not big deal but it could soak up a lot of cash in the body.

Grim-Reaper