Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sucked an intake gasket??? please help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rh88k5, Mar 8, 2003.

1. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

I thought I blew a head gasket, so I pressurized the coolant system, and noticed coolant leaking above the starter, up high to the rear of eng. did a compreeion test, half way before seeing coolant squirt out of #8 cylinder, Could I have just sucked an intake gasket?? please help, I really dont feel like taking the head off, Im working outside! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Yes, and since it is #8, that is even more evidence of an intake gasket problem, since the coolant port in the back of the head is right next to #8 intake port. What did I tell ya?

3. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

I dont know for sure, but I'm thinking that if you blew an intake gasket you would also have coolant in your oil. Its been a while since I looked at a heard but I don't think that coolant can get into the combustion chamber without getting into the oil at the same time. Bwetwwen intake and coolant ports is a uncommon place for an intake gasket to fail AFAIK. You have to pull the manifold to check your intake gasket and to pull the head so you might as well do it and find out whats wrong.

andy

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Pull the intake manifold. Replace intake manifold gaskets with these. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

Well I just pulled the intake,what a pain that was, I miss my '69 pickup!! I couldnt see any thing that looked too bad just very grungy in the suspect area, I'll put new gaskets on tomorrow. Thanks for reasuring me that it may be just an intake, but we'll see for sure tomorrow!

6. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Do these really work? or is this another "Tornado"?

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I doubt they help torque or hp, but they would be handy if you dropped something down the carb!

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've used them in meny engines I've had. I could feel a difference. Never had one on a dyno, but I could feel a difference when driving the car after I installed them.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I've used them in meny engines I've had. I could feel a difference. Never had one on a dyno, but I could feel a difference when driving the car after I installed them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am skeptical on this product. Looks like nothing more than intake restriction to me.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am skeptical on this product. Looks like nothing more than intake restriction to me.

[/ QUOTE ] Just try them for yourself sometime. They made me a beleaver.