Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sucked in, The rag upon the Exhaust Tip is being

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigburban383, Jun 20, 2004.

1. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

This is one of the first things I learned in diagnosis. A rag being sucked inward at the tip of the exhaust in rthyme of the idle is a burnt exhaust valve. This is the first thing I noticed helping a friend out with changing the spark plugs.

My buddy thinks he knows about fixing cars, he can do the work but hes a retard. I get a call, "Kenny get over here now!" I get there and hes telling me he broke 3 spark plug wires when changing the plugs on his 00' Ram 2500 and that he "repaired" them. Hes also telling me he messed up the firing order, he said that he tried a bunch of times running it trying to get it right. So i'm thinking OMG when he starts it up, seems to idle, puts it in drive and it bogs and almost stalled.

No fear, the expert is here:
    I told him to get new wires, we goto the store and get em. I prayed that #1 was right on the order since Dodges are the same as Chevy 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2. I took off all the wires except #1 and started from there putting the new wires on. I start it up and it ran a little better, slightly shakey though. It seemed to sound wierd at the exhaust tip so I got a rag and it would be sucked in about 1/4 inch in rythme with the exhaust, suck blow suck blow /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

I told him its a burnt exhaust valve. He doesnt want to believe me because he said it ran good until he did the tune up. We drove it around, I told him to floor it and it didn't go anywhere, then the MIL came on. I figured it was the O2 code acting up because one cylinder isn't firing.

When I think of burnt valve, I think of a sick race car engine, not an engine after a tune up.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

UUM, could also just be a worn/stretched timing chain as well,,, there a few things that do cause this to happen.

Actually sounds to me like maybe two wires are mixed up, i did this a long time ago, the engine ran, but not as good as it was supposed to, double and triple checked the wires and sure enough, i had two switched.

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

This is what you get for helping people with their truck. You are married to it now, and anything that happens to it from now on is your fault; even if the radio stops working, it's your fault. Try getting a repair manual so you will know for a fact what position the spark plug wires go on. Also, make sure your friend has the gap on the plugs set correctly, or did not crack any of them screwing them in.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    UUM, could also just be a worn/stretched timing chain as well,,, there a few things that do cause this to happen.

Actually sounds to me like maybe two wires are mixed up, i did this a long time ago, the engine ran, but not as good as it was supposed to, double and triple checked the wires and sure enough, i had two switched.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty common, and it's usually #5 and #7. I'd damn sure go look again before diagnosing a burnt valve, especially if the guy says it only started doing this after a tune up and him messing up a few wires.

Rene

5. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

We were also contemplating that a miss could alter the exhaust flow so that it appeared to be sucked in.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Pretty common, and it's usually #5 and #7.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll 2nd that.

When I first put this engine in my truck, I couldn't figure out why it ran like complete crap. I had double checked it a number of times but I kept thinking it was right. Then, for the hell of it I checked again, and sure enough, #5 and 7 were misplaced.

I swore I checked it a number of times....but s*** happens.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You have the firing order still mixed up if it ran fine before.