Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sucked up some bad gas, what to do??(updated)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TrcksR4ME, Jun 23, 2003.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

My truck had been parked a while and I moved it around now and then to keep everything working, but the gas got pretty low so I put in some gas for the lawn mower before going to the gas station.

Well it ran fine until the next day, then it wouldn't idle. Changed the fuel filter but still won't idle and looked at it again(see through) and it was dirty again.

(update)....................................

SO it seems to be running better, I made it run for a while in the driveway at about 1200 rpm and it seem to get through the bad gas. I changed the filter again, and I still see some crap in there, but I'll see how it does for now.

This was weird though cause my truck has been sitting a lot off and on for 5 years and I never had this problem before. It is really sensitive to gas brands, as in ARCO need not apply /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Thanks for the help and ideas!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Sucked up some bad gas, what to do??

If it were me, I'd probably fill it up with good gas, and take it for a drive. Will mix all the gas (bad and good) together, and if its only one gallon of bad gas, you won't notice it.

The "sock" in the tank should be preventing a lot of garbage from getting to your filter, are you talking just small stuff, or pretty large chunks?

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

looked like mostly small particles. I put about half a tank of gas in before it started acting up so hopefully anytime it will start running a little better.

I ran it for about 15 minutes at about 1200 rpm, and the filter looks like its collapsing in on itself, and the fuel level in the filter was only at about 1/3 (Spectre see through filter). It also looks like there was moisture or something in the filter, looked like condensation on the glass... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I dunno, story of my truck, runs fine one day, the next ... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well the sock in the tank is supposed to prevent water from leaving the tank, but after this many years, who knows. They *do* wear out.

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i'm with DYEAGER535 get some good gas and drive it. my truck sits alot to ,it's runs but no lights right now,i'm painting it. it took 2 yrs. to get it drivable and damn that gas is like varnish.every friggin' year it's the same.but after the new gas she pures like a kitten, and stinks frow the old gas. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

Fill her up w/ Ethyl. If Ethyl isn't available, take her sister w/ you.

Fill it up w/ "branded" gas(ie. Shell, Exxon, etc) and add a pint of B-12 Chemtool or the like in order to help "dry out" the bad fuel.

Good Luck

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I'll give it a try once it will idle well enough to drive, think it might now. Since I have an auto, it makes it hard to drive it around when it won't idle.

Also might check out the fuel pump if problems persist, have to pull it anyways cause it has an oil leak.