Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sudden brain storm..what you think..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Jul 12, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well..
    ive been thinking it over a lot..a lot fo you know how ive talked about my blazer and how it needs a new floor and all..im thinking...like what some of you had said.....to put the money into a lift, and new tires and wheels, and al lthat..to get it trial ready, and then worry bout the floor and body work last..i think its a good plan, i would have all the really important stuff out of the way, and could worry bout the not so important..(just cosmetic stuff) later...becuase i think saving up for another truck..(good one costing me probobly at least 2000, and saving with a minumum wage job would take a while..then having to save up for all the other stuff)..when i only have 500 tied up in this now..so i could put all my funds to the lift, and would be almost done with the truck, spending probobly just about 1500- 2000

Bryan

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

anyone..i really want some opinions on this...

Bryan

3. wahbob

wahbob Registered Member

Sounds like a plan man! Cosmetics shmosmectics-- its gonna get beat up anyway. My blazer has rust on both front fenders and one rear. Instead of trying to fix that i made sure it ran good then, lifted it and then put 35's on it.
    It still has the rust. I just tell people its a factory option.!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

haha..the only thing im really concerned about is the tailpan thing..cause basicly i have no tail pan at all and its in the garage..and i stuck a 4x4 in there to hold the rear end up..lol..but when i get it running im ganna need some way to hold it up good..and put the tailgate on the back to..cause theres no place to bolt the hinges to...what do ya think i should do about that..and is it a real big deal if the last to body mounts were thre tail pan sat are gone?..like could i still drive it and all...im going to put new ones in anyways...

bryan

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

if the tailpan is rotted away...it's a good reason to bob the rear,LMAO!!!!!!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I once owned a 1984 GMC Suburban. Bought it in Minnesota and it was rough and rusty when I got it. Drove across the country in it on vacation with my family, used it to move across the country with my family, been a lot of places in it.

Finally the rear sagged so much I could not open the rear barn doors with out lifting the door up over the bumpers /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

I decided it was time to part it out and build something that was rust free (I now lived in Central Oregon and rust free trucks are easy to find and cheap). I cut off the roof with a sawzall and almost got crushed when the side of the truck fell off! I got to poking around and found I only had 2 body mounts actually holding anything on the frame. If I would have been involved in any accidents with my family in the truck it is not likely anyone would have lived. Even a minor accident would have been enough to seperate the frame and body.

So my first priority with any vehicle is safety. Second is getting it running good mechanically. Next would be lift, tires extra's, last is cosmetics.

If you are missing any body mounts they are not cosmetic. They are a safety concern. We want to wheel with you when you are an old man as well as now.

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Wood won't rust.

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'm with Kenny on this one, I wouldn't consider a rotted tailpan cosmetic. Rotted fenders, hood or doors, yeah that's cosmetic but the tailpan is more Structual IMO.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I fixed my rust for structural and safety reasons. The holes in the floor allow exhaust fumes in and my body mounts were all compromised strength wise. Cosmetically my truck is still 'challenged' but structurally it is strong and solid now. I would concentrate on achieving that before any lift or other goodies.

Rene

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea i suppsoe your all right..i never thought of the exhuast fumes! well looks like its going to be in the garage for a while... i dont have the time or money to save up for a really good one like 2 grand or more so i might as well fix this one...and at least i would have the experience from it! think what i would do is when i get the floor panals..paint them up in POR-15!! then put them in...and then spray the whole floor inside with rhino liner..now that would make for one tuff floor. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
    bryan

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

POR-15 is hard to weld over...better to POR-15 it after the panels are welded in. Then add the herculiner or whatever bedliner you like.

Just say no to carpet...poor drainage and poor ventilation cause the majority of rust.

Rene

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea would floor mats be good..i want somethin like that like in my dads custom delux...

Bryan

13. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I'm with Willy! Chop her off right before where the rust ends! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

no lol i would only do that if it were a trail rig only but this is also my daily. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Bryan

15. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I would not use floor mats either. Mats are prob worse IMO. They have the same padding under them but at least the carpet will breath and allow for some evaporation. The mats will just hold moisture in. Rhino line, Linex, or Herculine it.

16. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i seen someones elses post on here about the tailpan rust and how he fixed it tuffer than original.do a search and see what turns up.maybe you were the one that asked the question about the floor repair before too.

17. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Is this what your talking about? tail pan

18. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ive read that i dont know how many times and i just dont under stand it a bit! lol

Bryan