Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

suddenly sloppy steering??? (thats a lot os SSS'S)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RESTORE89, Jun 21, 2001.

1. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

suddenly sloppy steering??? (thats a lot os SSS\'S)

all of a sudden in the last few days my steerung has become very "squirrely" on the highway.
    not dangerously so, just real annoying, since after i did all the work listed below it drove
    soooo goood. in the last 3 months i have
    replaced my oem stabilizer with a trailblazer
    replaced my tierod ends
    replaced the bushings on my 1 1/4 inch swaybar with poly
    replaced the shocks with trailblazers
    installed new 33/12.50 same size as old ones
    had new 4.11's and lock right installed in front
    had a front end alignment(thats high dollar on a solid front axle [$200] and hard to find a shop to do it
    this truck is as exspensive as offshore fishing, problem is i like them both
    i did notice some play where the steering column comes through the fire wall, you can
    move the shaft inside the housing about a 1/4 inch, will this cause my problem, and how do i fix it?????????????????????????
    thanks
    chris

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: suddenly sloppy steering??? (thats a lot os SSS\'S)

Look very closely at the frame around the steering box. Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while you're looking underneath. Sounds like your truck has the infamous GM frame crack. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Uh oh!! Frame crack!!! That's a possibility. But, check everything. Have someone turn the wheel while you look stuff. (ie, drag, pitman, tierod, etc) Anything loose or damage, replace it. Look at the frame where the gear box is mounted to, while the wheels are turning, see if you notice it pulling the frame.
    btw, why did your front end alignment cost $200? Mine cost me $60 and I did all kinds of mods to my steering (crossover/ram).
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

4. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

error in math, the bill was 200, 55 for a muffler total for allign was 145, still way higher
    than 60. shop said they had to use some special shim behind something because the wheel was leaning out at the top. lots of evidence that the truck was rolled over before i bought it. i think
    that is where a lot of my cost is coming from.
    i have spent about 4000 in the last 6 months on this beast, and have done no interior
    paint or body work, and i still need a valve job, rear axle bearings, and a new bearing at
    at the rear of the xfer case, and brakes front and rear
    wil it ever end???????????????
    at what point do you quit and start with another truck?
    chris
    ps i do not see any movement in the steering box, and everything appears tight, i even
    greased all the ball joists and checked for tightness, couldnot budge anything.

5. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

they gave you a special shim alright!!!!!!!!!!!!! right in the ass

6. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i checked with several other front end shops and the price was similiar, and i also saw the shim, it has 6 holes in it and it goes behind the wheel and is some what wedge shaped, and depending on how they rotate the wedge it adjusts the tilt of the wheel. I also talked to a good friend who owns a 4x4 shop and he said the same thing.
    but i thought that was high
    chris

7. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

$145 isn't out of line to do a front end alignment and install a camber shim on one of the wheels. My alignment cost me $60 but all they did was set the toe and center the steering. I told them not to worry about the camber, it was only out a small amount.
    Does the gearbox itself have a lot of play? What about draglink ends and ball joints? Make sure the alignment shop got your wheel bearings tightened back up after putting the shim in.
    CB

1973 K5, 400TPI,TH350, 203/205, Dana60/Detroit/5.38 front and rear, 38" TSL's on steel wheels
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.azk5.coloradok5.com>http://www.azk5.coloradok5.com</A>

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

try the joint at the back of the stering box that goes to the shaft. They can crack and break.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

9. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

90k5, are you talking about the joint with the conveyor belt looking material in it, if so that is tight, the only place i can fin any thing loose is where the column comes out of the firewall, and the gear shift connects. should there be play in this area???
    chris