Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suden Oil leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JayHornyak, Jan 22, 2003.

1. JayHornyak

JayHornyak Registered Member

Hey does this make any sence? It got really cold, IN the teens and low tweenty's plus wind chill, and all of the sudden I started leaking oil. My truck does not usually leak much of any thing. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

First of all, what is the fluid...is it engine oil? And, where is it coming from? Where's the puddle developing? It may not have anything to do with the cold, then again, it could. We need more info though.

3. JayHornyak

Definatly engine oil. Can't see where it is coming from other then the rear of the block modt of the drips seem to be on the front drive shaft starter area. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Hmmm...in order to get it on the starter/that area, I'm going to have to say check the valve cover. The gasket might have blown out near the rear of the cover. Possibly got too cold and brittle and crumbled to pieces /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. That's my first guess. I'm sure there are other opinions out there, but this is probably the easiest/cheapest to fix. Good luck.

By the way...is it a constant drip, or more of just a small puddle after parked for a while? Does the drip get faster/more frequent while the engine is on?

5. JayHornyak

NOt sure how constant it is just found it today. Noticed a small spot in my brand new garage earlier then noticed it dripping while running as I picked up my son from day care. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, I'm out of ideas...I'm going to stick with valve covers leaking. OOH, or maybe the rear seal of the intake manifold too. Give both of those a check. Others, feel free to ring in.

7. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

i think heavy4x4 is on the right track. i had a bad PCV valve (positive crankcase ventaltion) it sits on the drivers side valve cover. if its stuck the crankcase will develop enough pressure that in my situation blew out a chunk of the valve cover gasket right over my starter.

do you have a mechanical oil gauge? my poly line melted one day and tossed oil all over the place. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

OOH, yeah, there's an idea. Maybe the PCV froze up. Pull it out (located on the passenger side valve cover towards the front of the engine) and give it a shake. You should hear it rattle. If it DOES NOT rattle, go buy a new one for $3. That still won't solve the oil leak, though. It'll just prevent it from happening again once you replace the valve cover gasket /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif