Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sued 4wp story its long but a good read

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rdn2blazer, May 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

So i sued the owner and store manager of 4wheel parts in aug. of 2003 at the main headquarters store in compton ca. i live very near there. this is going to be a very long story, but i hope you find it interesting. also i dont care whether anyone thinks its wrong or disagrees with the reason why i did. they asked for it so i abliged. so it started with 4wp first ding and dent sale at there compton store. i told a buddy of mine about it, he said lets go. it was on a saturday. my buddy has a bussiness account with 4wp through his streetrod shop where they do custom rods and trucks, lowering and lifting and such, so he gets a good deal on things anyways. we were the first ones there at the gate by 7:30 am. i thought for sure there would be a mile long line. i have never been first at an event ever in my life.

I was going to hopefully find whatever for my truck, it didnt realy matter, just a good deal on something. so when the gates opened at 9:00 am, several hundred people filed on in to the parking lot where they had all there junk laid out for people to look at. people were scrambling to get to stuff. i was too, but it only took one trip through the parking lot to see that, thats what this stuff was,.... junk. all there cheap lame crap that nobody buys anyways. my buddy actually found two bfg tires that would be good front tires for a street car and got in line to pay. they had out side registers setup for the sale.

the store was also open that day. since i didnt find anything of intrest i just walked around abit waiting for my bud in this 150 person deep line. talk about feelin jipped. at the back of the lot they had a pro comp booth set up with parts on display and i thought for sale. i saw some seats that had a tag that said 99.00 a set taped to it. there was a young kid checking the seat out when i walked up, i looked at the seat , said to him are they comfortable cause he had sat in one, he said yea try it out. so i did and they were comfortable. i said damn that a good deal, and he agreed. just then a salesmen walked up to both of us and asked if he could help. i said is that right, 99 a set, he said yep, so i said ile take a set. the kid next to me said ile take a set too.

The salesmen wrote each of us up a ticket and said you have to wait in the line and pay at the outside register for the sale stuff. i asked about model spacific seat brackets, sales person said you have to go into the showroom for that and purchase those inside. i found my buddy still way back in line, told him i was going inside for brackets. went in, took a number waited forever for my number just to find out they only have brackets for jeeps for those seats. so i checked price on a delux tuffy box for a blazer, best price he could give me was 235.99, i passed on that. i didnt want to spend that much on one of those.

So i went outside to wait in this freckin long line, then i thought screw this and went to find my bud to get inline with him. i looked down the whole line to the front, couldnt find him. im like damit where the hell is he. there was people everywhere. as i said i was right at the front of the line when a register girl says, "can i help the next person", nobody moved. so i spoke up an said im next, i figured what the hell if know one is paying attention, then you snooze you looze. so i handed her my ticket for the seats, she looks at it and says whats this. im like huh? i said its for the seats you guys have on sale. well they also had a whole row of crappy seats on sale too. she pointed to them and said those? i said no the seats by the pro comp display. then she says well theres no price on this ticket only a seat number, and i dont think those are for sale. i said the sales guy gave me and some other dude a ticket for those seats. she said let me get a manager.

She calls this dude over explaines the problem to him. he asks me and i tell him i guess there pro comp seats im not sure. he says show me the seats. this guy turns out to be the head store manager for 4wp. so we go to the pro comp display and wouldnt ya know it, the seats that were there before were gone!. ofcourse i think this guy thinks im lieing about the seats. i said they were right there, one on the ground and one on a frame so people could sit in it. he says those wernt pro comp seats and i cant sell those seats to you even if i wanted to for that price cause he would get in trouble. he said i will show you what seats you were looking at, and show you why i couldnt sell them at that price.

So he takes me into 4wp showroom, into the back office area and says he will find a catalog and show me the seats. as we are walking around the office area this old guy looks at me funny with a skowll and asks the manager if everything is allright, he say oh yea where just trying to find a catalog. so we find one, he says lets go in my office, so we go in and sit down. he finds the seat he thought it was, asks if thats it? i say no it was that one. it ended up being a $188.99 doller a seat retail price. i think a steel horse or something. he said our price, what 4wp pays for it is more than $99.00 a piece. he said here is my price what we pay, he pulls up his computer and shows me a screen that has four rows next to the item. the first row is what they pay the second row is what retail is, and the third row is the markup in percent, and the forth row is the doller value of that percent.

He shows me the seat, his cost each was $129.00. again, retail was $188.99 each. he says we dont allway make a killing on everything. he say heres what i will do. i will sell you those seats at our cost. i said thanks but no thanks cause i could get a set of corbeau baja seats for 159.00 each. at the time. i said i would take them for 99.00 each but not the 129.00 he offered. he said is there anything else you wanted he said ile sell it to ya at cost.

So i thought about that tuffy box that the counter salesmen had told me i was getting a good deal at $235.00. so i said yes i wanted a delux tuffy box for a blazer. he pulled it up on his screen, it said cost $176.00. retail price was about 259.00 or something, i dont remember. so i thought to myself thats a good price. so i said i will take it so we went into the wherehouse and picked it out to take back to his office. on the way back to his office we were passing by will call and i saw the kid that i talked to about the seats. i said bob, theres that kid i told you also got a ticket for seats, lets go talk to him. the old guy in the office that looked at me strange walked up as we got to the kid and listened to what we were saying. when we got to him i said did you pay for your seats, he said yes. i said so your ticket had a price on it he said yes. i said how much did you pay, he said 99 bucks for a pair, so i turn to bob and said see so he gets his seats but i dont get mine, this sucks!. then the old guy chimes in and says to the kid, son you got a good deal since you allready paid for your seats. then he turns to me and says i cant sell you those seats since you didnt pay for them yet and we cought the mistake in time.

We go back to bobs office, then the old guy comes in and says well the seats that were out there was his fault and that he told the sales person to mark them at $99.00 and he had told a sales person to put those seats out there for sale. then he realized after about an hour that those were marked way too cheep so he told the salesguy to just bring them in. then the old guy says to just make him, meaning me happy, and to sell me ANYTHING I WANT, AS MUCH MONEY AS I WANT TO SPEND AT COST!.

Bob the store manager said no problem! the old guy shook my hand and said will that work for you, i said thats great, thank you very much. so the old guy left, them bob said, do you know who that is? i said no. he said that is George Apler, the owner of 4 WP. he is the top dog, so what ever he says goes. so however much you want to spend you will get it at cost. he said is there anything else besides the tuffy box you want? he then said this is a once in a life time deal and you wont get a chance like this again. this is a one time offer so you should take advantage of it. ofcourse i was thinking hell yes!. so i said i will take the tuffy box, 2 sets of 4:88 gears for my 2 14ff axles, 1 set of 4:88s for my d60, master install kits for all three, 1 carrier for d60 which i dont even know if i need now, 1 detroit locker, like a jack ass i should have gotten more. then he asked if i wanted rims and tires. i said can you get dirt grips, i know you guys dont sell them. bob said we can get them. so i said if you can, i will take 5 of them and 5 weld ss 2's. he said what size i said 38 15.50 16's and 16 by 12 8 lug weld wheels.

I thought man my woman is gonna kill me for spending this much money. i better stop there. i figured i would still have a big total, even at cost. well when he was ringing it up he made the comment that i was even getting a tax break, i wasnt sure what he ment so i just said "cool". i assumed he ment cause i wasnt paying full retail like i normally would be, that the tax was a less. when he was done ringing it all up he gave me a grand total of $2982.33. i almost added a few mor items but i stoped myself before i did. he said we dont have everything in stock, but you can take what is in stock and come and order the rest when you want. the sheet of paper that he totaled everything up on he said was golden. he said he wasnt going to make a copy and if i lost it the deal was off. and he wrote right on it PRICE GARENTEED BY GEORGE APLER, OKED BY BOB CAMPINELLI. then he sighned it with his signuture.

The cost prices he wrote down go like this:
    2 sets gm 14ff 4:88s $113.40 each total $226.80 genuine gear
    1 set d60 4;88s $122.21 precision gear
    1 detroit locker $309.75
    1 d60 carrier $42.17
    1 delux tuffy box $176.40
    5 pj dirt grips $324.25 total $1297.00 (not totaled correct)38 15.50 16
    5 weld racing ss 2's $192.15 total $ 960.70 16 by 12 8 lug
    1 master install kit d60 $68.03
    2 master install kits 14ff $74.14
    tax 24.40

The grand total he wrote down was 2982.33, actual total of everything above totals 3625.85 thats with the incorect tax of 24.40.

the tax that was written down was 24.40. earlier in the story i said that bob said i was getting a tax break, but when i saw 24.40 for tax i thought damn that is a tax break. when i walked out of there that day i took what they had in stock which was all the gear sets, detroit locker, tuffy box, and the d60 carrier. i paid cost price plus 8.25 percent tax, which didnt jive with what was written on my sheet but i didnt complain cauce i knew 24.40 couldnt be right. so i went home with the parts i had. when i got home i told my woman she blew a gasket, then was over it. she looked at the sheet and found the mistake with the tires not being totaled right. he totaled for 4 tires, i wanted 5. thats what was written down. so i went back on monday to order the rest of the parts my ballence to my calculations was 2982.33 minus the 817.42 for the parts i took that day would be 2164.91 plus 8.25 % tax, for a total of 2343.51.

When i went back in on monday a asked to speek to bob campinelli the manager. he wasnt in. so i told the cleark the story, and that george the owner could varify it. he said let me get him. when he came out he said hi, real freindly and said yes, that he and bob ok this and that what was on paper was correct, all good. now mind you i knew about the tire mispriceing, i just figured i would play dumb and hopefully they wouldnt catch there mistake. so i told the sales clerk that i had allready picked up some of the items on that sheet and that i just wanted to order thr rest of the parts remaining. he said ok i will just total everything up then subtract what you paid. so as he totals it he gets a funny look on his face. then he says, i know you guys agreed to this but im not getting the same total as the 2982.33. i said what are you getting, he said he was getting 3625.85. he said they totaled the tires wrong, i said ok i will pay for the 5th tire, but that was there mistake. he said yes your right. then he says and the tax of 24.40 was not right. i said i know that looked funny to me too but bob said i was getting a tax break but i didnt know what he ment.

I told the cleark i paid regular 8.25 % on the stuff i had allready picked up, so i figured my ballence to be 2343.51. he said let me get george, so he did. when he came over they went back behind a wall so i couldnt here them, but i still could abit. i herd the clerk say something about the tax and the total. then george left to go double check the total or whatever. when he came back he said it all looks good except for the tax. so in order for you to get the rest of these parts you still owe us 3800.00 someodd bucks.

I had never totaled the entire order up, as i said i just knew of the tire mistake on there part. so i did not know the total was incorrect. and here i have george the owner saying everything looks correct but if i want the rest of the stuff i have to give him way more money then i have calculated. so i say bull**** we had an agreement, you and bob sighned it price garenteed. he said you have to pay more then 24.40 it tax. i said im not disputing that, but the tax and the ballence i have figured is alot less then what your saying though. so he says let me talk to you in private.

so he takes me back in to an office, and insted of trying to figure where the problem or mistake is he just says look im given you a good deal, i dont need you making a seen in front of my customers, if you dont like the deal im given you, you can just take me to court. so i say if thats what you want, i can do that. he said you go right ahead. so i grabbed my one and only sheet and left. when i got home i sat down and tried to figure out what was the problem and why they said i owed so much more. well the 2982.33 was way wrong, the sales clerk was right it should have been 3625.85 less the 24.40 incorect tax, plus proper tax of 8.25%. well i figured the owner is an A hole and i have it in writeing, and its not my "F" up so screw um i filed a suit in small clames court. when we got to court i had celculated what i owed based on the 2982.33 documented total, minus the 817.42 i allready paid, plus the aditional tire and tax at 8.25%.not the incorect 24.40 tax amount. so i felt i was being fair, by paying the corract tax, and the extra tire they screwed up on but still working from the incorrect total i had in writing.

We go in front of the judge she heres my side then his side. he keeps going on and on about how i dont want to pay the tax, i say no, he keeps saying i owe more than what it says here on my paper. the judge says the three of you, the owner, the manager, and myself go out in the hallway and try to come to an agreement, if you cant then the judge would make a decision. we argued abit then the manager all the sudden says i know what happend. when you came in to order the rest of the parts Wally the sales clerk rang up your total twice than subtracted your 817.42 you allreary paid. thats how we were comming up with such a high total. so he did some figuring and came up with far less then i was even willing to pay. they short changed themselfs even more.

So we agreed on a value that i would pay to get the rest of the parts. went back in the courtroom. i let bob explain the situation. he even apoligized to me in court about the whole problem and that it was the sales clerks mistake. all i asked the judge to do was document our agreement and if it wasnt honered that i could come back to her court and she would judge in my fovor,...she agreed. so all in all i paid there cost on the tuffy box, d60 carrier, detroit locker, 2 gear sets for 14ff's, d60 gear set, 5 dirt grip tires, but the price was droped to 300.00 even per tire, so 1500.00 total for the tires, and tire tax on 5 tires of 89.70, AND NO ADITIONAL TAX. i got the master install kit for the d60 free and the weld ss 2 16 by 12's were free too. so i actully ended up paying 2615.31 for all those parts. if you take the true total and add the correct tax its about 4000.00. then add the retail markup, even conseritivly of 33%, theres over 5200.00 in parts for 2600 bucks. thats how it went down, hate it or love it. all i can say is i love free parts. :D

2. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Holy **** I took 2 smoke breaks.

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Good for you! I am very glad you stuck to it and made them honor their deal.

4. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Glad to see you won the case and made out in the end. :D

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Glad you got the win on that one, big stores like that need to fess up to their mistakes. It just sucks that it had to go that far. So have you been back there yet and do they hate up or do they suck up to you?
    I'm glad you were close enough to do that. I had a place called International parts warehouse rip me off for $300 but they are out of Florida so sueing them would have been a total pain. I hate it but I ended up taking the loss.
    It just pisses me off that they got away with it. I should dig up the story just to re-warn all the new people around here about them.
    Nice deal. My wife would have shot me if I spent $3,000 :grin:

6. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Wow!!!! Congrats on the outcome....

7. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Good job man, way to stick to your guns...

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I say good work. Make them stick to the deal they offered, you didn't con them out of it, they did it to themselves.

9. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Congrats! Way to force them into standing behind their word. I don't know why anyone wouldn't agree with you, since you just forced them to keep their promises. WAY TO GO!!

10. Jew Pimpin

Jew Pimpin Registered Member

Congrats on the deal! My eyes are sore.

11. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me like that store is run by a bunch of jackasses and you made out well because of it. It amazes me how stores can stay in business running like that. Enjoy your goodies, I know I would.

12. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I wonder if this Bob Campinelli guy is going to get the axe for this. When the owner says take care of somebody, you do not just walk off and let a rank and file sales rep screw up a $3898.65 deal. He should have double checked and signed off on all the numbers before taking one penny of your money, instead of being a lazy dumb a$$.

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

nice very nice, glad it worked out.

ha ha they should have just given you the seats dumb asses!!

YEAHif i when and maxed the card out on parts the wife would kill me, she would apreseate the deal but i would hear about it lol.

cool, stuff, should have seen what there cost was on a 60 air locker!

man them there things cost!!!

14. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

THey should have just given you the frikin' seats for the $99, that they obviously knew they marked wrong. 4WP tried to screw me a few years back, and I've never shopped there since. I got a $500 gift certificate for xmas for them, it did not have an expiration date. For wahtever reason, I forgot about, until my boss said I needed to take a trip to fix some crap at a customer in LA. (I live in MI, no 4WP stores here) So about a year and month later, I find myself on a business trip to LA, I take the opportunity to walk into 4wp and buy some crap to use my certificate, and prooced to the checkout and the cashier says, "I'm sorry, this is expired". I'm like, excuse me, there is no expiration on it. It's a full color thick plastic real certificate, not some printer internet thing. SHe like, well the computer won't let me redeem it. I'm like, I don't give a rip, computers or not, this certificate is good. what the hell is that, you take someones' money and then don't let them get any merchandise. The manager comes and takes me in back, they sit there and try to explain to me that all retailers certificates expire because they can't claim the money on the books until it's redeemed and they can't have extra money just sitting in limbo out there, and what not. I said, but if you can't have extra money sitting out there, then where the heck is the $500 my family spent here last year!. I'm like, I don't care, then you should have printed an expiration date on it, otherwise I would have order some crap over the web. They're like, well If I let you reddem it, basically from our perspecitve, we're giving you that merchandise. I'm like, uhh..nooo, because you took in $500 last year!! They're like, well, that's already off the books, we'd be taking a hit, at $500, we can't let you redeem it, sorry, nothing we can do. I proceed to make a scene, and they keep saying that there's nothing they can do. So later that night I called my sister in law, who's a lawyer, and had her give them a ring. She calls me back the next day and says to go back and ask for, now that I think about it, the guys name was bob. I go back in, find bob, bob apologizes for the "other" managers decision, and proceeds to let me spend my $500.
    Frikin losers...

Last edited: May 14, 2005
  15. raptorparts

raptorparts Registered Member

Having spent numerous years in the motorcycle industry, I can tell you that people are the tightest with a buck when it comes to their toys. I've had customers mail order and or drive 50 miles to save 10 bucks and in the end, it forces the really qualified people who actually give a damn out of industries like this because people are so tight with their desposible income. What your left with is people who can't count and people who don't know how to react to problems, ie, being smart enough to sell the man the sets for $99 in the first place after he was able to produce the kid who had documentation to support his claims.

Work with a discounter, you get discounted customer service - you get what you pay for. You lucked out in the end but it sounds like to me, you earned your money by the leg work and time needed to go back to the store and then to court.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.