Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

suggested method of removing t400/np205

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBucketRacing, Sep 28, 2003.

1. RustBucketRacing

RustBucketRacing Registered Member

Hoping not to drop on my head, any suggestions will help. The transmission case is broken so I think it has to come down in two peices.

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just did this the other day cept with a 203 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif If ya can take out the t-case first it's easier, but hard to get to the bolts to take it off the tranny. If ya drop them together 2 floor jacks works pretty good have a friend help ya lower the rear first to get the tranny off the block then just go slowly...oh yeah don't forget a 2x4 between the floor jack and the tranny pan /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Good luck.

3. RustBucketRacing

thanks MTBLAZER89 not looking forward to this

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

You can use a cherry picker attached to the tranny/tcase adapter through the shifter hole from in the cab, helps to lower the whole assembly down without worry of dropping it.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yes, a cherry picker through the floor is the best way I've found. We just did my doubler + Th350 that way and my son's Th400/205 as well... It's more trouble in the K5 since you can't keep it ballanced as well, but it's doable. I used a ratchet strap to manage fore-aft angle and another on the 205 front output to manage rotational angle. On my truggy it is SO easy because my trans tunnel is completely removeable front to rear.

6. RustBucketRacing

I like the idea of dropping it thru the floor. Do you think I could drop it down with rope wrapped around my cage? I have that dash bar thats right over the hole. The whole assembly can't weigh more than 300 lbs, right?

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You don't drop it through the floor. You pull it up or drop it down by dropping a line/chain through the hole and using a chery picker or come along. I put my complet trans/doubler combo on the legs of the cherry picker by using a piece of plywood as a table. Rolled that under, dropped the straps to the trans, and pulled it right in hardly breaking a sweat. I'm sure you could work out some way to hook a come along or block-n-tackle to the roll cage, and it should be strong enough if it's a "real" cage that would protect you in a roll...

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hoping not to drop on my head, any suggestions will help. The transmission case is broken so I think it has to come down in two peices.

[/ QUOTE ]
    its VERY simple....
    remove the bolts from underneith. drop TH400/NP205 on chest. scream in pain. have a beer.
    get out from under truck. have another beer and a shot.
    go to hospital. get laughed at by all the people who know you.

NO??
    ok, yeah, the cherry picker way is nice. but i like a cradle on a nice 3 ton floor jack. do the 205 then do the th400. since you will be putting them back in might as well make a specific cradle for each out of wood. this way they line right up and shoulg go back n easy.
    Grant

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm not so sure about the rope but a couple wraps around the dash bar, some gloves, and a good way to keep it from slipping might work if you really carefull. A come along might be too long to work but if you used it as a means to lower or raise the rope... that might work. a cherry picker is still best!