Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suggestion about the site/forums.....

Discussion in 'Feedback | Site Announcements' started by Emmettology 101, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

First off, I dont want anyone taking this the wrong way just posting an opinion. I hate starting posts off with that, but anymore you seem to have to!

Anyhow, what is with all the new forums? I think it is getting a little out of control. Why not go back to the basics and start over?

Laketex and I were talking and both agree that the site is getting a little overwhelming with all the new forums and duplicates. Why do we need so many? Who needs two for sale forums? Why do we need/have a memebers only forum?

We were both talking that it would be nice to go back to the way it was before and thus eliminate confusion and clutter.

Here's what we were thinking:

Keep -
    Feedback
    Site News
    Land Use
    Blazin Trails
    Test
    The sectioned off model and year forums(69-72, 73-91, etc)
    Non- 4x4
    1 for sale
    1 wanted
    ORD
    Diesel
    Audio/Communication(combine the two)

Get rid of -

Club forums. If you want someplace to talk, make your own site or use PM's, e-mail lists, etc. It is free to start one on Yahoo or similar and have a message board!

Other rides. Doesn't this fit under non 4x4?

Bloody Knuckle. Why do we need this?

All the categorized for sale forums. Make one for sale forum and one wanted. Simple as that, no need to have it sectioned into different things. And have it open to everyone.

Free Classifieds

and maybe the Garage to since you would just be covering the same things in the other Blazer/truck forums...

Then change it so the paying members get to post pics, use search, have albums in the gallery, get discounts, get freebies, ect.

Non paying members would be allowed to post and make topics, but thats it, no pics, no freebies, no discounts...

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I agree /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Overall I think they are good suggestions.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Count me in...I'm wearing out the scroll wheel with all the new forums popping up. We went through this at CTS and the site Admin eliminated 4 or 5 forums and blended them into the more 'busy' ones. It's much nicer to navigate and find new posts there now.

Good suggestions Mike (and Bryan!)

Rene

5. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I'm relatively new here, so I don't know what it used to be like back in the day, but why can't you just add the forums that you frequent to your favorites on your My Home page?/forums/images/icons/confused.gif

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

the only problem i see with that is that then more people are going to bitch about it and we would spend a few weeks with ongoing posts about why he should not have done that /forums/images/icons/frown.gif not everyone is going to be totaly happy with anything so no matter what someone is always going to be whineing /forums/images/icons/frown.gif just like the forsale forums lots of people bitched about the change so steve made a generic on for the free whiners and now people are bitching why do we need the new one /forums/images/icons/frown.gif hell he was just trying to stop all the bitching and whineing and satisfy everyone and people are still whining /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

(not saying any of you are just making a point and this is not directed at anyone just MY opinion)

7. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    hell he was just trying to stop all the bitching and whineing and satisfy everyone and people are still whining

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, that's where Steve goes wrong. There's a point where you realize that someone is not going to be happy. All you do, is make sure your heart isn't on your sleeve and say, "Tough noogies...this is the way it's going to be"

*waits for someone to call me a bitch*

8. Emmettology 101

I understand that and I am offering a suggestion to help lower the whinning and keep everyone happy... Before when it was similar to what we are suggesting, there wasn't as much whinning and people seemed to be happy.

9. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Agree. Get rid of the new free classifides and turn the for sale back so everyone can post. So many places to find one thing. Confusing.

10. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

*waits for someone to call me a bitch*

[/ QUOTE ] Oh.....yeah.....OK.....SUUURE!

Oh wait a minute, your headers are prob still packed up. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif (Im still not taking that chance.) /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

11. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i think the site is just fine, and why get rid of anything, some of those things you listed to trash help out people and don't even hurt anyone, so i say why change it so as it can be a negative thing to people?

12. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Well I think Joel Walsh said it best in his song : well ya see ya cant please everyone so ya got please your self da da da

13. Emmettology 101

Why keep things that are duplicates of another forum? Especially when it is expensive to keep up with the bandwidth, it is just adding to the bandwidth problem. I see people posting their questions and ideas muliptle times on the site trying to get it answered and people to see it.

Your are pretty new to the site and dont know how it was a year or so ago. There were less forums and less confusion. If you had a K5 question or general 4x4 question you went to the Blazer forum, if you had a Burb question you go to the burb forum. Now you have, like I said before, people posting the same question in a few forums. This is adding the the bandwidth costs and somethign Steve was trying to keep to a minimum before.
    And as for th club forums, why not start a small e-mail list or a community where it is free? Here it is somewhat free to the starters(other than having to buy a membership) , but Steve has to pick up the bill for the bandwidth. Once thse forums start growing, the memberships will probably start goign up in price as well as other things!

14. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I dont mind the extra forums but the multiple forum posting is a very good point. Its somewhat annoying to see the same post in four different areas.

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

And as for th club forums, why not start a small e-mail list or a community where it is free? Here it is somewhat free to the starters(other than having to buy a membership) , but Steve has to pick up the bill for the bandwidth. Once thse forums start growing, the memberships will probably start goign up in price as well as other things!

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the club forums. It's a chance for some newbie coming in finding there's a club of K5 crazies in there area. And I wouldn't mind paying Steve a fee for the forum either.

16. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

I think that some of the new forums like the bloody knuckle seem a bit excessive, but more regional forums for clubs and for users in those areas should be encouraged to make the site grow. Remember, we want more 4x4 enthusiasts here so that they can learn from each other and if there is no forum or way for the people to get to know each otherwise it makes everything seem really distant which is the farthest thing from the truth about the people here as a community goes. As for multiple postings, that can be handled by the moderator of the forums. I know it gets old but multiply or very similar posts are bound to happen just as we're bound to have more newbies. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

17. Emmettology 101

I agree we need to track more enthusiats, but everyone got along fine before for a couple years without the club forums! This site offers other ways of contacting each other like Private messages or if you are forming a trailride in your area or even the non 4x4 area. If the club forums keep growign then so will the amount of money that needs to go into the site and once Steve gets tired of paying for it, up goes our memeberships. Which I see nothing wrong with paying more, but why should the people that dont use them pay for them? There should be a fee paid by the club starter and a yearly dues or something similar.

There are plenty of other ways on this site for others to stay in touch and I dont feel the club forums are needed! Take POR for example! There are numerous clubs over there and they get along just fine without club forums. ANd ya wanna know why? They have their own sites and other venues to keep in touch! Those clubs are hounding Lance to add club forums.

People need to sit back and see the big picture rather than see what they want( not pointing fingers or single you out Mercercadet, just saying in general and this post is also not pointed directly at you). There are 31 forums on this site and many are not needed and some are duplicates. Next thing you know, if everyone had there way, will have hundreds of forums and crap like "The knitting club" and "The Newbie forum"....

People bitch now because they cant have access to all the forums and are not fronting the cash to get access. If things keep goign the way they are and the site keeps growing in size by the forums which in turn makes the post count grow, none of the site will be free! ANd then people will really start bitchin!

We need to get back to basics and have a lower number of forums and cut down on posts and bandwidth to help out Steve and the site. Not create more problems and add to the work that Steve and the mopderators have to handle.

18. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I plan on taking a hard look at the current layout over the next several weeks.

19. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Ok my .02... A lot of the members of Nor-Cal Big Dawgs were already paying members.. But at least 6 paid when the club forums went to paynig members only. And we have more joining all the time.. We do do our best not to post our stuff twice.. But it does happen..But for the most part our club forum is used just for the club.. Now if all the club forums had at least 6 people sign up and pay CK5. That is a lot of money..I don't now if that is what has happened I can only speek for our club. Wy would you want to get rid of the club forums.. Also we do have a club board.. But we don't use it that much.. But if the club forum was gone then we would have to.. And that is a lot less time on here helping other members..

20. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ok here goes...
    Anyhow, what is with all the new forums? I think it is getting a little out of control. Why not go back to the basics and start over?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you said it best..And that is that CK5 is growing,So why not have the club forums..There are many other forums that should/could be deleted...

the site is getting a little overwhelming with all the new forums

[/ QUOTE ]

See above...

and duplicates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the duplicate post's do need to stop that has been a problem for awhile....So any thoughts on how to avoid that... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Why do we need so many?

[/ QUOTE ]

If any of the forums needs to be gone then it would be the less used ones like...GM Diesel , 1936-Present Suburban , 88-Present (Truck) and 92-Present Blazer/Tahoe/Yukon/Avalanche/Suburban , S-Series Blazer/Jimmy/Truck ..Most of these ???'s that are asked in these forums are also asked in the main forums too.... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Who needs two for sale forums? Why do we need/have a memebers only forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve was trying to please all that use this site and he took MAJOR crap from those that have and have not paid to be a member...I still think those that want to sell still need to be paying members but It is not my site and I don't make the rules ..I/ along with everyone else can offer there 2 cents but steve is the final say....

We were both talking that it would be nice to go back to the way it was before and thus eliminate confusion and clutter

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that not mean taking a step backwards....CK5 is going to have an X amount of users no matter what and it will continue to get bigger...

Club forums. If you want someplace to talk, make your own site or use PM's, e-mail lists, etc. It is free to start one on Yahoo or similar and have a message board!

[/ QUOTE ]

The last time I looked the club's where all paying members just like everyone else...Our 25$$ looks the same as anyone else's.If steve wanted to give us a place to chat/plan events/work on others rigs/ that was his choice...But to say that the club forums "take" bandwidth away is not true ..because if we were not posting in here under the club forums then we would just be posting in the other forums(trail forum)(general forum) so How does that free up bandwidth...JMO. /forums/images/icons/smile.gifIf you want to see bandwidth use that is out of hand.. bandwidth use

Bloody Knuckle. Why do we need this?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember right steve made this forum for the members as a place that was just for us...

All the categorized for sale forums. Make one for sale forum and one wanted. Simple as that, no need to have it sectioned into different things. And have it open to everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we have all had a say in this before and I don't want to open a can of worms on this one so I will stay away from this one... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Non paying members would be allowed to post and make topics, but thats it, no pics, no freebies, no discounts...

[/ QUOTE ]

So if he did that what would the incentive to join and help keep the site going be.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif