Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

suggestion on shock measuring and mounting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by readymix, Jan 15, 2005.

1. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

On the front, i have the quad shock setup. I am going to get the ford towers and mount them. Will the stock hanger on the D60 be in a good location? or should i weld on a new set in a differnet location

On the rear. I plan on moving the shock mounts to the top of the axle tube and building a crossmember to mount the upper shock to. Like what is seen on MOO.

Where can i get the shock mounts for the axle?
    What direction should the shock bolts go. Left/Right - or - Fwd/Back? Looking for the rear and front axle.

Here is the kicker. I don't have an RTI ramp in my pocket or access to anythning like that. If i try to use a loading ramp on the base they will surely have my A$$ in chains.:) Is there any other trick for measuring that i have not thought of.

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

You could use an engine hoist to lift a corner of the truck.:)

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

The only thing i have that could lift one corner of teh truck would be my floor jack. Don't think it will get high enough.

I might just go buy a Hi-Lift jack and run a strap through the rim to lift it. It should go high enough but might not.

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm lucky enough to know a farmer with a forklift :) As for the direction of the bolts and shock mounts, most people I've seen running Ford towers run the factory lower shock mount. Also, on the rear axle, all of the setups I've seen have the bolts running forward and back. If you think about the way the axle moves when your suspension cycles, it makes sense.

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I saw that a long time ago...but had completly forgotten about it until now. I found the old stamped steel ones local for $11.75 ea. I will have to call the dealership back on monday and get a quote for these.

Thanks for the info.

Do you think they will put the shocks too close to the steering shaft or am i just looking at my truck wrong?

8. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

You can put the towers any way you want. I moved mine around to keep them as close to the same angle as the stock shocks were and they don't have any issues with the steering shaft.