Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

suggestions-complete 6" lift under $700?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fry, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

suggestions-complete 6\" lift under $700?

I have a friend who just bought a K5 and wants to lift it 6" and keep it under $700.
    I need to know everything that needs to be included with his lift, if I missed anything
    Steering arm
    Brake lines
    Shocks
    Steering stabilizer

His truck is really straight so he doesn't want to cut into it and will be running 36s.

I was thinking Echobit 5.5" $83
    Tuff Country 6" front $225
    Shocks-$130
    Brakelines-$90
    steering arm-$60
    for a total of $588

Anybody else have an idea for a cheap complete good 6" lift? it a 88 K5. What springs would he have 52 or 56"?
    Thanks for the help

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: suggestions-complete 6\" lift under $700?

6" lift will more than likely need to have both driveshafts extended too.

3. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

yeah I was thinking that aswell, what are the odds that he'd get away with a T-case drop. Heard of alot of people on here like that?
    What the price usually to lenghten both shafts?
    Why wouldn't someone just sell an 1" or 2 longer slipyoke for the driveshaft? I had to pick up a stock one for my blazer when I lost my driveshaft and it was only about $40.
    BTW shaggy I love those testing the 42s pics, awesome wallpaper /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a stock front shaft with 6-7" of lift with no issues. I run a swaybar up front though.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    BTW shaggy I love those testing the 42s pics, awesome wallpaper /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I'm humbled, I don't think anyone has used pics of my junk as wallpaper before. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

6. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I think this is also intended as a street truck mostly with some minor trail riding.
    Any other opinions on how he should lift for cheap?

7. aj_tatted

aj_tatted 1/2 ton status

if ot's mostly for mall crawlin,...then get a procomp off of ebay for 200.00 buy some brakelines for 30.00,..get a raised steering arm here for 25.00 and shocks for 100.00, he can get away with not extending right away but he will need to get it done rear should be around 100.00-150.00,...front should be o.k if he's not doin a bunch of wheeling.
    thisa is how i got started, however i'm slowly changing it now do to a need to be in the rocks!! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    altogether you can do this for under 500.00 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Home made rear shakle flip would be free to lift the rear. I have been wanting to buy a shacle flip for my rear and get rid of my blocks He could just make me an ofer for them it would get the back up and give me an exuse to get a shakle flip kit for my truck. for the front I would get four in springs with lift shakles.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

He should keep in mind that after lifting and adding new tires, any flaws in the steering system are going to be much more apparant. If his tie rod and drag link ends are worn out, the truck will be a bear to drive, same goes for the ball joints. If the finds are there I would suggest doing a rebuild on these parts at the same time.

10. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I may have a steering arm to next week if I get around to putting the D60 in.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    6" lift will more than likely need to have both driveshafts extended too.

[/ QUOTE ] I had new driveshafts made for my 76 K5 after we installed the 6" suspension lift. The front was too short to hook up at all, and the rear barely fit. I was afraid it'd come apart on a big bump driving down the street, but I made it to the driveshaft shop. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Go with a body lift and suspension lift

13. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info so far. I think Pro Comp is junk personally, from when my bud had it and kept breaking leaf springs, also it rode like crap.
    Hes a little concerned with the Echobit flip because he is planning on towing and boat and some other stuff every now and them.
    I was thinking body/suspension lift so he could get away with keeping the driveshafts and maybe doing a ORD shackle flip in the rear or a homemade flip.
    Anybody have a homemade flip picture? I have one at work but not here at home and searched but it yielded nothing but lots of dead links.
    Hes stepping from a lifted 2000 chevy to this 89 blazer so is probably looking for a pretty decent ride and handling.
    Where to get a cheap steering arm, brake lines and steering stabilizer. What are some cheap good riding shocks?
    Thanks for the help.

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a pro comp 6" and it is really tall for a 6" lift because the front springs are so stiff. running 7" in the back and it sits level. The down side to procomps are that they ride like an empty dump truck and don't flex well at all. They seem to be pretty strong but I wouldn't recommend my lift because they are more expensive and ride rough.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I really like my 6" Superlift sortrides up front with ORD 4" shackle flip + 3" Tuff Country springs in the rear. Rides good in my opinion. We'll see how it rides after the Ground Hawgs go on.