Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suggestions for a 454 Hi-Performance Buildup

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zepplin, Feb 15, 2001.

1. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Through my work I get to go to a performance engine rebuilding class for a week. I get to rebuild my mid-70's 454 in this class. All machine work is free, most of the parts are free. We are only going to rebuild the short block. I guess my questions are what should I do to my Big Block. I kinda of want to make it a stroker but I am not sure what crank to use. I know Shawn has a sweet big block he is putting in but, I am keeping a carb on mine. Eventually it will be going in my 74 Blazer which will have 38" Super Swampers with a 14 bolt rear Dana 44 front. In my part of the woods is mostly mud, so it will be mud runner as well summer cruiser.

I guess what suggestions would you guys have. At this point the sky's the limit. The only parts that I would have to buy if needed would be a crank, camshaft, lifters, roller rockers and a pair of heads(if I don't rebuild my old ones for free).

I have so many options I don't know what to do. Suggestions??

74 Blazer
    Kashmir
    Zepplin

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: 454 Hi-Performance Buildup Questions

Since they say there is no replacement for displacement, bore the block out to .060 and keep your stock crank. This is a cheap way to get extra cubes. This would make your motor a 468. Unless you want more cubes, get a new crank and stroke it.

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Check out these pages to get some good ideas:

http://www.speedomotive.com/Building Tips.htm

Be sure you design your block for the future heads you will use (comp. ratio) and be sure to get the proper quench height. If you don't have heads yet, let me know since I have a fresh set of 049 heads. I'd also suggest a cam oiler from BC Engineering since BBC's are hard on cams.

If you're on a budget, then stay away from the stroker crank. Parts alone on my setup was close to $1000. I had to buy new rods and pistons with the crank but I didn't have to clearance a thing. Forged stroker crank was $400, KB pistons were $300 and forged i-beam rods were $250 just to give you an idea.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.off-road.com/chevy>http://www.off-road.com/chevy</A>

4. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Shawn,

I know that you mentioned before what kind of crank you used but, I couldn't find it in the search engine. I think you said yours was a 496 when it was all said and done. How much did you bore it out and how much h.p and torque are you putting out?

Thanks for the info from the edelbrock site that gives me a good baseline to work from. Most of the parts they used I can get for free. The real cost for me would be using a new crank as well as some decent heads. But, $1,000 isn't really out of my budget so I may go that route too.

Thanks for the help!

74 Blazer
    Kashmir
    Zepplin

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Zepplin on 02/15/01 10:59 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

5. Shawn

I bought my Triton crank, Triton rods and KB pistons from PME Racing. (www.pmeracing.com). Joe the owner seemed to be pretty knowledgable and had some good deals going. It lists on his page more than I bought it for. The crank was sold on Ebay new for $400 and I keep seing other new stroker BBC for the same price. I had to return the pistons and rings to PME since I had to go .060 over and they had no problem swapping parts. I was told recenly by Dyno-Flo (www.dyno-flo.com) that Triton Engineering and Cat are the same company. There's also Scat and Eagle cranks but they usually cost more.

You can see more about the crank here:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pmeracing.com/triton/engcomp/TE4130.htm>http://pmeracing.com/triton/engcomp/TE4130.htm</A>

Yes, after boring a 454 .060 over and using a 4.25" stroker crank, it becomes a 496ci. .030 over would make it a 489. There's a dyno on speedomotive.com of a 489 stroker. You can see my Dyno2000 results in a previous posts (think its called "BBC finally going in").

Hope this helps.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I would think if you were mudding it alot, RPM's would be high. No matter what, if you are talking free labor. Balance the rotating assembly. Balancing goes a long way to reducing wear on the motor. I guess an overbore is nice, but if its not necessary, you just went a long way towards making sure the block can never be rebuilt again. (granted you can sleeve blocks..but thats $ and risky) Thats my $.02

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

7. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Thank you so much for the info and the links. Building up an engine can get out of hand really fast! Now I won't be able to work anymore because I will be day dreaming about the outcome of my finished engine.

Thanks a ton!

74 Blazer
    Kashmir
    Zepplin

8. Shawn

I've been day dreaming for the past 6 months!!! [​IMG]

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.off-road.com/chevy>http://www.off-road.com/chevy</A>

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

DAMN. I cant believe how prices on this stuff has come down. 4 years ago I built a stroker nitrios engine. 484 big block. 1/4 stroke stock bore(brand new gm block) BRC forged crank, oliver rods, JE Pistons, Childs @alberts rings. billet main caps. balanced, clearanced block. UN-assembeld short block 5,152.50!!!! now top that with merlin heads, roller cam, and all related parts. stroker for 1,000? DAMN!!!!!

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

10. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

A guy I work with saw an ad for a 4.250 stroker crank for a little over $300, in one of his racing magazines. He said they are a new company and have some great deals on parts. He said he will bring the ad in on Monday. I don't know what the quality is on the crank but, its worth a look. I can't wait till we start to tear into my engine!

74 Blazer
    Kashmir
    Zepplin

11. bablazer73

look closely at some of these. I have found out some of these "economy" kits are welded and reground cast cranks. these are made for low horse and low rpm. any good machine shop can do this from a 25 scrapped core crank. they can also do this with forged cranks. I am always leary of "economy" parts. If your going to build a serious hp engine, I would stay very clear of some of these kit's.

12. bablazer73

look closely at some of these. I have found out some of these "economy" kits are welded and reground cast cranks. these are made for low horse and low rpm. any good machine shop can do this from a 25.00$ scrapped core crank. they can also do this with forged cranks. I am always leary of "economy" parts. If your going to build a serious hp engine, I would stay very clear of some of these kit's.