Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suggestions for a 700R4 Transmission Rebulid Kit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WhiteOut, Feb 7, 2001.

1. WhiteOut

WhiteOut Newbie

I have a '85 - 350 - with the 700R4 that blew up this past weekend. I am going to rebuild the tranny
    but I was looking for some suggestions for a good rebulid kit. I mainly use the Blazer for commuting
    to work, but I do some off roading and occasionaly tow a small boat.

Thanks

2. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I would call Rossler Transmissions.. They build trannies for such people like John Lingenfelter, and the guy who owns, The Fastest Street Car in America. They are located in Girard, OH... I believe they use Trans-Go kits in their trannies.
    They also ship nationwide.

Here is their website: EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Emmettology 101 on 02/07/01 07:21 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

5. My uncle builds alot of trannies for some of the roundy round drivers and local drag cars and he uses Trans Go parts.

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

I wanted to beef mine up a little bit and get rid of sloppy shifting so I went with the B&M rebuild and the B&M shift kit. It has a corvetter servo in it and the valve body was bored out a bit. It shifts hard now and is running good.
    I would also recommend running a cooler on it when you get it back in the truck. 700's dont like heat at all. I have lost one to 100 degree summers at the beach.

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you even mildly beat on the truck, do NOT skimp on cost on a rebuild of a 700 (as in have every single updated part installed in it, new converter, etc) especially an older one like yours, and put in a LARGE tranny cooler.

I paid $1500 at Aamco(woulda done it myself had I not been stuck in a small town) almost 4 years ago to have my 700 rebuilt. Immediately I put on a tranny cooler. Being extra gentle to that thing after that, (although it did go off road...specs were 305/208/3.08's and 31's) I had no problems for 3 years. Guy buys it off me, puts big tires on, 3/4 ton axles on it, beats it off road, tranny lasted about 6 months for him.

The corvette servo is one of the "necessary" in my mind mods, as well as getting the 3/4 problem fixed (also a Corvette part, goes in the valve body, either a valve, "sleeve" for the valve, or both) that keeps it from kicking down into 3rd gear at high throttle positions. Of course the 3/4 mod is if you like to go fast in OD.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Either B&M or Trans GO are good rebuild kits. Both supply the heavy duty parts you will need to up grade the 700 r4. Get a new converter and a cooler rated for over 18000 gvw.
    Also you may want to look into a Traveler series 700r4 from B&M. They build them just for trucks and RVs. I think Summit sells them for around 1400 bucks.

9. WhiteOut

WhiteOut Newbie

I made a few calls to some local parts shops, a few had B&M Transkit part Number 70230 or 70232 in stock.
    The prices are pretty close to what I found on the net, so I will probably go with one of these kits.

Will this kit take care of the 3/4 problem? Where do I find a Corvette servo?

Thanks for all the suggestions!

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I used a B&M Super TransKit on mine. It sells for over $250. Get the updated sprags, a new 10-vane pump and replace the converter as well. You don't have to buy a "Corvette Servo". All you have to do is replace two parts in your existing servo (2nd apply piston and the piston housing) and then you have one. It just applies more force to the band, but also releases slower, so DON'T use it unless your shift kit recalibrates your valve body to account for that. Otherwise you will get binding on the 2-3 upshift and it will roast the clutches fast.

Most shift kits do not address the 4-3 downshift problem. It is almost always a seperate piece. Just make you ask so that you know what you're getting.

<font color=blue>5-lugs: The sign of true weakness.</font color=blue>