Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

suggestions for axles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Gary 86 K5, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Gary 86 K5

Gary 86 K5 1/2 ton status

I would like to get a few opinions on what I should do about the axles on my Blazer. I currently have stock 10 bolts with 3.42 gears and a 700r4. I would like to run 36's but if I could run 35s with my stock axles I'll do that. Otherwise I would like to get a 14ff with 4.10s for the rear. I've been searching for info on what to do for the front but I haven't found any cheap ways to do it. Can someone tell me what I should do about the front. I want keep the same bolt patterns as the rear so a dana44 would be out of the question right? Thanks for any help. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

they make 8 lug D44's so they are not out of the question.

You could add a 14BSF instead of a 14BFF, as the SF is a 6 lug. but that would leave you with a 10B front.

You could step up to a D44 8-lug and a 14BFF. this is a 3/4 ton set up and can be run and wheeled pretty hard with 35-37" tires, if set up correctly.

3. Gary 86 K5

How much would an 8 lug d44 normally go for? I've seen 14ff for the rear all over the place that are right around $200. Thanks for the help! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Best way to get them is to buy a matching set (from same truck). I just bought a pair of 3/4 axles from a 78 3/4 Ton pick up (14 Bolt FF, Dana 44 8 lug) with 373 gears for a whooping $250.00 Call your local (smaller) salvage yards and see what they want for some midlate 70's 3/4 Ton chevy axles.

5. Gary 86 K5

Damn! Thats definetly the way to go!!! What years should I look for, I'm going to call a few tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i got 3/4 ton axles 4.10, th350, and np203 along with alot of misc. parts for $150. beat that

NITRO

7. Gary 86 K5

Or would I be able to run 35s with my 700 and 3.42's??? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

If you only drive flat interstate you might be able to get away with it. The problem with bigger tires is that it actually reduces your gear ratio. There has to be a formula for it some where.

With 3.42's and 35's I would think it would act like 2.73's and stock tires if not worse.

The other thing to look at, is how health is your tranny? It would be really easy to burn it up with 35's and 3.42's.

9. Gary 86 K5

thats what i thought, im just gonna keep on the lookout for some new axles /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. Gary 86 K5

I'm a little puzzled here, I just got off the phone with a junkyard and the guy is telling me that theres no way I could put 3/4 or 1 ton axles on my k5 because of the frame design. He says that I would have to redo the whole frame in order for them to fit because of the spring perches. Is this guy full of sh*t or what?? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

First rule of thumb, anyone at a junkyard, parts store, or 4wpw doesn't know jack about anything, least of all what you're doing. Rely on this board for that stuff. Do you really believe that? Do you know how axles work? You may have to move spring perches or shock mounts, but the frame? That dude is talking out his ass.

Second rule of thumb is to never tell them what you're doing. It'll just lead to a bunch of stupid questions that you dont have time to answer. Furthermore, you dont want to answer them, because if the small yards see a demand, the prices go up. And for custom stuff, the prices always go up.

Third rule of thumb, when junkyard shopping, put on a pair of old overalls and boots. Never wear nice clothes. If you look poor, you'll get the poor man price. Note: this does not work when you drive up in a brand new excursion. If you dont own a pair of overalls or ragged jeans, go to goodwill and buy you some. The price you'll save later will more than offset this in the future. And always haggle. No price is set in stone anywhere. If you're buying something big, haggle it down. Try to go on friday, when they need weekend beer money. And take cash.

The only reason I offer these points is because you're gullible and you need to be strong. Or else you'll get taken for a lot more than you have to.

And oh yeah to answer your previous question, yeah that guy is full of [censored]. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

actually the 3/4 ton axles are pretty much a bolt in affair, you will need a different ujoint for the rear, but it is readily available from napa, (do a search for more info), the one ton rear has the spring perches and shock mounts in the "wrong" position, but again is easily fixed with a torch, grinder and welder, well, maybe not so easily /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

laketex give out lots of good advice, know what you want and ask for that, otherwise they will tell you it will not work because the factory never offered it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

but we know better /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

He's incredibly full of $h!t. 3/4-ton axles from a '73-87 pickup will bolt right on. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I've already done it to my '75 K5 and am in the process of doing it to my '90 Suburban. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You'll need a crossover U-joint to attach your driveshaft to the 14-bolt yoke. A rear axle from a 1-ton will require that you move the spring perches and shock mounts. A front Dana 60 is also a direct bolt on. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Don't even bother telling JY folks what you need the axles for. Many of 'em don't have a clue. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif It's about the same as dealing with parts counter folks. I've got a '75 K5 that has '74 3/4-ton axles, '80 Turbo 400 and NP205, and an '87 Corvette TPI setup on top of a 383. The fact that I have them installed in a '75 K5, that was never available with any of that stuff is completely irrelevant. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14. Gary 86 K5

Guys, thanks a ton!!! I knew he was full of it but I just wanted to make sure. So it looks like I'm going to go with 3/4 ton stuff because it looks to be the easiest to install. Is the front a direct bolt in too??? Thanks again guys!

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I do belive that the 3/4 Ton front is also a dirrect bolt it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

16. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

All fronts are same pad width, it's only in the rear that they change.

17. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I got the whole truck (minus engine) with a messed up cab for 200. 8Lug D44, 14FF, SM465, NP205. Between myself and a few friends, we ended up using all the springs, a gas tank, the flatbed and a fender off the thing.

18. Gary 86 K5

So what you're saying is that I could use a 1 ton front axle if I found one?

19. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    . A rear axle from a 1-ton will require that you move the spring perches and shock mounts

[/ QUOTE ]

OK guy's correct me if I'm wrong, but why does every one keep saying that you need to move spring perches. Isn't a single wheel 1 ton 14 bolt FF axle the same as a 3/4 ton 14 bolt FF axle. I know the dually axle is wrong if thats the 1ton your talking about. But you would not be getting that axle if

1- you bought a matching 3/4 ton set up or......

2- you bought a 1 ton single wheel set up, which would be the correct set up to get since a dually set up has the funky hubs.

And finally I do know from experience that the 3/4 ton 14 does bolt right up. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I have seen these responses in a few post rescently. I am just curious if I am wrong or, are not all the facts straight? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

20. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

The 1 ton SRW 14 bolt has narrower spring perches and shock mounts (the shocks are mounted inboard the frame). There is some dispute as to wether or not it is the actual frame on a 1 ton that is different, or just the leaf spring mounts, but one thing is correct; the 1 ton 14b has different spring perches and shock mounts.