Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suggestions for driveline vibration fix?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nvrenuf, Apr 14, 2003.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

As some of you saw when I posted pictures, I have recently installed a 6" lift on my crew cab. I drove it on the interstate for the first time this weekend and now it has a small vibration around 65~70 mph. It's not bad but I want to fix it.

The lift is a Rough Country 6" kit with the rear lift consisting of a 4" tapered block and an add-a-leaf. My truck has a 2 piece driveshaft so the usual t-case drop or cv joint add on wont work. Any ideas?

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Maybe shim the Axle's? And then have the shaft's balanced? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, shims. Either that or have HAD make ya one of them cv shafts that has 1410s on both ends. 1410 isnt any stronger than 1350, but it can operate at greater angles.

j

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

2 piece driveshaft: Lower the center carrier bearing (bearing that supports the junction of the two rear shafts). It will help alleviate the rear (rear) shaft angle. It will increase the operating angle of the front (rear) shaft angle, but not by much. Try an inch at first, then go to two if needed. One advantage of a two piece shaft. In cases of extreme lifts, some guys lower the t-case an inch, and then lower the carrier bearing two inches or so. Just some things to try and see if it helps.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I had thought about dropping the center bearing a little but I wasn't sure if the leverage of an extension might cause unwanted movement. Have you seen it done? I'm just wondering about the movement. I do like that better than trying to shim the axle, since it already has tapered blocks I don't want to screw up and amplify the problem.