Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suggestions for repairs and improvements

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bear Creek, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Bear Creek

Bear Creek Registered Member

Just bought my '79. 350 with 4 bolt main, dual exhaust, Quadrajet, and plenty of rust. Got some work to do. Any suggestion?
    1) rusted out behind the wheel wells, rocker panels and top of the cab over the roll bar where the back cap attachs.
    2) The 4 bbl Quadrajet needs to be rebuilt or replaced. It smells rich when you get into it. It is not responsive until you get over 20 MPH. What is my best/cheapest choice ?
    3) The front springs don't have any arch. Do they need to be replaced? Where can I get parts?
    4) I am going to install K&N filter. Anything else to help the MPG. Currently it is between 8 and 9?

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

1) look for some replacement panels, jcwhitney, lmc truck, others may carry them.
    2) try a rebuild kit, if that helps you are set. if not, many people have suggested the edelbrock carbs, there are the 1400series and the 1900series. i just put in a 1900 in mine. cost a bit more but, then agian i got some very good coments from ck5 members.
    3) springs can wait, unless they are broken. skyjacker, rancho, etc.
    4) go easy on the pedal and drive a little slower. there was a post here about driving 60 instead of 70. i too myself have proven it, i can get up to 15mpg at 55-60 compared to 9-10 at 70-75.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Theres nothing wrong with your springs...the stock springs are generally flat if not slightly negatively arched.

Brian
    <a target="_blank" href=http://84k5.coloradok5.com>84k5.coloradok5.com</a>

4. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Also do a basic tune up to it such as cap, rotor, plugs, and plug wires, that is if they look as if they have seen better days. There are also mods you can do to the HEI distributor that are supposed to make it have more sparking power to improve combustion and therefore fuel economy

Check out my 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm>http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm</a>

5. Bear Creek

Bear Creek Registered Member

Cap and rotor were in good shape. Wires don't look old either. I installed platinum plugs and checked/ tightened the bolts on the carb. It was getting 10 highway and 8 around town. Now I'm getting 9 around town. I don't run it above 60 mph and try to stay out of the back barrels. I don't exspect it to get as good as a smaller vehicle but I would like to get 15 on the highway. As soon as I can afford it the carb will be rebuilt or replaced. I am still open to other suggestions.

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'd say that once you get that carb rebuilt, you will get some decent MPG. Mine was getting around 7-8 anywhere until a rebuild kit and now it's back up to 13-15 on the highway and I have no idea what the in town mileage and I don't care to know [​IMG] and yes your front springs are fine.

~~'84 K5~~
    Check it out at:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>www.k5.rockcrawler.com</a>