Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suggestions for spare tire carrier please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ancient4X4, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Ancient4X4

Ancient4X4 Registered Member

I normally carry my spare tire in the box, but I am planning on getting rid of the topper that has been on it for about twenty years now.

I would like to keep the spare tire in the box, preferably in front of the passenger side wheelwell. I would like something that padlocks and maybe has a U type bracket or something along those lines. Anybody know about anything like that? I could have sworn it had something like that years ago. I don't like the underbox solutions because the bolts rust and then you can't get the tire off.

I would appreciate comments or suggestions.

2. BlazerFarm

BlazerFarm Texagonian Premium Member

We need some more info about what you are wanting. By "box" are you talking about the bed of the truck? Is it a pickup or a K5 Blazer? On the Blazers (your profile says 1977) there is an inside the bed spare tire bracket that goes behind the back seat. It ends up being on the side/back of the passenger rear wheelwell. You can usually find those pretty cheap on CK5.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My '83 pick-up has the factory spare tire carrier at the passenger rear of the bed. You should be able to pick up the parts for similar here:

www.lmctruck.com

[​IMG]

The set-up in the upper left is what I have. I made my own hold down bolt using some all-thread, nuts and washers plus a round aluminum disc out of a seal driver kit that fits the rim hole perfectly.

Rene

4. Ancient4X4

Ancient4X4 Registered Member

It is a pickup. Hmm interesting, I wasn't considering one near the rear of the box, but that might work. I would like something that can be padlocked or something for a little extra security though. It sits on the street everynight.

I actually have a Summer 2000 copy of LMC Truck 73-87 Chevy sitting here on the chair, might thumb through that a little.

5. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Rene, does it look like the setup you have would work with a 35" tire. I tries that in my old K5 with a 33 and got close but the 35" forced me to modify the bracket a bit and then raise it up. I was thinking of something similar for the crewcab but can't decide if it would work.

Hijack over.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have a 235/75 tucked in there right now and there isn't much room between the tailgate and the wheelwell as it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see you need a wrench to remove the spare. You could leave the all thread a bit longer, drill a hole and use a small padlock too.

For a 35" tire I'd put the bracket at the front of the bed where there is more room for the tire.

[​IMG]

Hope that helps.

Rene

7. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thank you for the help.:wink1: