Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suggestions on 700r4 pump?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr.smartass, Sep 18, 2006.

1. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

getting my 700r4 rebuilt, just wondering what pump to go with and who to order it from... any suggestions?

2. mr.smartass

nothing? i hear get a 10 vain pump... just don't know to much about them.

3. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

4. Teamstatic2001

Teamstatic2001 Registered Member

I believe the stock pump is 19 vane so not really an upgrade there, ask a local tranny shop they will help you choose a pump. Ebay has alot of upgrades for trannys.

5. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Stock is 10 I am pretty sure.

6. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

7, 10, and 13 vane pumps all came stock in different years. If you have a 7 upgrade to a 10 or 13. Mine came with a 10 and that is what I used. I didn't think the upgrade to a 13 was worth it.

I don't think 19s exist for a 700.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Talk to a rebuild place, probably see what others have recommended for 700R4 parts on other forums.

TYPICALLY performance pumps are modified in more ways than just the rotor/vanes (bigger boost valves, enlarged fluid pathways, etc) so it's worth shopping around IMO.

I recommend these guys: http://www.700r4l60e.com/ they did me right with a bunch of 2004R parts awhile back, and speaking with the guy on the phone at the time, it was obvious he knew what he was talking about and not just hocking parts.

8. Teamstatic2001

Teamstatic2001 Registered Member

Oops sorry about that I got a new laptop and the keyboard is small and the 9 is next to 0 I ment to say 10

9. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I'd skip the 13 vane pump. When I rebuilt my 700, which was just a stock rebuild with some upgrades, I talked to several different 700 guys. The reason they went to a 13 vane pump was for more flow to control all of the solenoids and whatnot in the 4l60e's and 65e's.

Said it would be way overkill unless you are running a transbrake or a full manual valve body in a competition rig. I spent my money elsewhere as I already had a 10 vane pump. Things like a servo, shift kit, boost valve, and an upgraded sun shell.

10. mr.smartass

thanks for the replies guys, yeah i was trying to get through this without putting to much into it... broke college student sob story... so i'm just ordering a stock rebuild kit and TC from the local parts store, but all this talk of upgrades has got me interested... like the corvette servo, the boost valve, shift kit and sun shell. what brands do yall suggest, especially on the shift kit, is b&m a decent kit?

11. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Stuff you get from the local supply houses is the same quality as b&m.

Usually you can piece together a shift kit if you know what you are doing, if not, or can't get the right guidance from your local supplier/rebuilder, buy a b&m. Lots cheaper for the off brand stuff. Not alot of parts in the shift kit, and a competent shop/rebuild can duplicate a shift kit without buying a kit.

In all, I spent about $450-500 in parts for all of the above mentioned upgrades including the rebuild kit and a rebuilt converter, minus the deep b&m pan.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd suggest a TransGo shift kit over the B&M stuff, just based on my previous (now years ago) B&M experiences.

13. Myke

Myke Registered Member

Transgo
    TCI
    B&M

Are my top 3 in that order.

14. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

The pump in my 700 is taking a dump....would one of the mentioned pumps above be a good replacement? Also, can you replace these without much trouble....like a pull and replace type thing or do you need special tools?

15. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm currious as to how you know the pump is taking a dump? My 700 is super slippery and probably only has another 1,000 miles or so in her (just added Lucas stop slip and it helped a ton but it's only a band aid) and was just wondering how you knew.

-Avery

16. mr.smartass

I think i'm gonna go with parts from monster transmissions, pump, servo, shift kit, boost valve, and sun gear shell for $295.00 free shipping, only thing is the pump is a reman and it doesn't specify on vanes... maybe i should give them a call... any other good mods while i'm having the work done?

17. mr.smartass

bumping it back to the top just because i don't want to junk up the forum with another one of my threads... just making sure no one has any more suggestions...

18. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

The pump seal keeps leaking after several gasket changes. I've been told by several people that if the seal continues to leak that there is a bushing in the pump that has gone bad which makes the pump housing not seal up in the tranny.