Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

suggestions on a good combo for a mild 350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fry, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

What would be a good combo for a 350, something nice and torquey but resemable mileage on the highway since most places I wheel are about 3hrs away. I'm wondering basically about the cam/carb/intake, don't think I could afford aftermarket heads, but maybe a set of cast iron. Would like to know some personal experiences with what works I'm not looking for something completely outrageous but probably 300-350hp/lbs-ft would be good, something I can move 36s with 4.10s easily in 4hi.
    Thanks

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I like my motor, its a fresh 355, edelbrock performer intake, RV Cam, headers, and Edelbrock Thunder AVS carb. Can't say mileage cause I parked it right after I put the carb on. Very torque and responsive, definetally making 350 or more ft lbs I think. If I had it to do again I think I would go with the Comp Cams 4x4 cams. The lowest one, I think that should get you some good mileage, great response and torque. Only thing I have left to do to my motor is heads and maybe someday a 383 setup but I doubt that, I'm very happy with how it is. I'd say get your factory heads freshened by a shop and maybe a polish job on the exhaust side, that will improve torque and response. I port matched my intake side to my intake, no idea if it helped.

3. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I am going to do the 355 with 305 heads. Then put a new quadra jet and am not sure on the intake manifold. I have a gm factory aluminum intake i think I will put on. And then either the lowest or second lowest 4x4 cam k kit. Flat top pistons and that should work for a while. I would like to eventually build a 383 with vortec 305 heads and tbi or corvette fuel injection (entire kit (intake and all)w/ computer online for 1500). What do you think?

4. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I like my motor, its a fresh 355, edelbrock performer intake, RV Cam, headers, and Edelbrock Thunder AVS carb. Can't say mileage cause I parked it right after I put the carb on. Very torque and responsive, definetally making 350 or more ft lbs I think. If I had it to do again I think I would go with the Comp Cams 4x4 cams. The lowest one, I think that should get you some good mileage, great response and torque. Only thing I have left to do to my motor is heads and maybe someday a 383 setup but I doubt that, I'm very happy with how it is. I'd say get your factory heads freshened by a shop and maybe a polish job on the exhaust side, that will improve torque and response. I port matched my intake side to my intake, no idea if it helped.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is close to what I have except no headers or exhaust. I also have a rochester q-jet. I LOVE my engine. The only thing that I will be changing is the cam. I will also be using the comp cams 4x4 extreme series. Probably the lowest one as it produces the torque right where I want it at 600rpm. I don't know for you though, you said that it's a 3 hr drive to go wheeling and you are concerned about mileage I would probably recommend their second lowest cam which produces the power starting at 1000. It would probably net you a bit better mileage at highway speeds. The lower one would net you the better mileage around town.

Oh and I had someone run my stats through a desktop dyno and the results came back at 305hp and 400ft/lbs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Oh and I also plan on 36's and 4.10's come spring and I think my engine will easily roast em if I wanted to /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I have 33's and 3.73's right now and it is perfect /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah desktop dyno says about 400 ft lbs for me and little over 300 horsepower.

7. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Places like summit offer nice crate motors for real good prices.you can choose what type of performance you want...

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Personally I wouldn't buy a crate motor but I have access to all the tools and help I need to rebuild a motor block up no problem. I can build a motor as good or better than those crates for less, though I can't beat the warranty.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I am going to do the 355 with 305 heads. Then put a new quadra jet and am not sure on the intake manifold. I have a gm factory aluminum intake i think I will put on. And then either the lowest or second lowest 4x4 cam k kit. Flat top pistons and that should work for a while. I would like to eventually build a 383 with vortec 305 heads and tbi or corvette fuel injection (entire kit (intake and all)w/ computer online for 1500). What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why you like 305 heads, but they absoultely suck for flow. Even a really crappy set of 350 heads still will outflow them. Sure, you'll get more compression, but you'll just have a more knock prone motor anyway.

305 heads with flat top pistons in a stock deck clearance 350 is going to net a ridculous compression ratio that will not run on pump gas anyway. It'd be over 10:1, and combine that with a torquey cam and you can just about forget it.

10. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

I just redid a 350. I put an RV cam, E-brock intake, roller rockers, and a set of Vortec Heads all topped off with a Holley 600 vac sec. Also running headers. Here is a pic of it on my run in stand.
    T.J.
    [​IMG]

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Nice, I should have gone with a better set of heads, balanced my rotating assembly, and put on roller rockers, oh well at this point its getting roller rockers and thats about it. SHe still tachs over 6k once in a while.

12. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

thanks for the replies everyone. What are your setups work? I want to keep the 4.10s so I can run 33 A/Ts in the winter and run 36s in the summer, should be a happy medium with a decent motor.

13. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Corporate blue???? Love that color.

Nice stand too....

14. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

We built a 350 with 3005 heads and it runs great. It has about a 10:1 compression and the thing is sweet. It has a holley 750 and a street avenger intake. It was just an idea. I havent decided. Ideas come and go.

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not trying hyjack or piss off any loyal 350 guys but... have you thought about building up a 400 if you can find one? I have a pumped 406 and can stomp on a 350 built rouphly the same way as mine. I have comp cams 268H cam,edel. performer intake, performer q-jet, 9.2:1 compression, basically stock 400 heads. DD2000 says 355HP@5KRPM's and a nice 446Ft/lbs of torque@3K RPM's. I plan on adding on AFR aluminum 195CC runner heads, 1.6 rockers(should have around 484" lift)9.5:1 compression, Edel Pro flo multi port injection, and doug thorley headers. I should be around around 430HP and in the neighborhood of 500ft/lbs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It takes a lot of building and money to match that with a 350. allthough I will have $6,500 in mine after I add the heads and FI. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Just an idea, if you already have the 350 core I would probably just go with that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I plugged your info into DD2000 and can't come up with much mroe than say 405ft lbs let alone 445.

17. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I have had a few friends with 400s they were always blowing something up. I like to get a 350 since its super cheap to start with and easy to make power. I am really am not going to spend 6000 on a motor, if I wanted to put 6gs into a motor it would be a big block then I'd use the rest of the money on rebuilding transmission and transfer case.