Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suggestions on new tires for my Daily Driver!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Jan 14, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]
    Ok, my daily driver on the right --> is in need of tires.
    I'm running Goodyear Wrangler AT/S 32x11.5x15 on factory rallyes. I like the looks, ride and preformance on the Highway (has two large channels for water, with solid outter sections to cut out noise) but I just called in to get a price on new tires and I'm looking at around 7 bills for new ones. Other than the price the only thing I DON'T like about the tires is at 70 on the highway it wonders a little. I run about 650 miles a week in the truck so a good solid hi-mile tire as well as a good offroad tire with agressive look is what I'm wanting, Any ideas?
    I've got about 48K on these, no problems what so ever, great in sand and mud as well as snow. I may end up forking over the money for new ones /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

blazer on 32's

[​IMG] <---AT/S closeup
    goodyear site

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Do a little research on the General tire brand. They make tires that I think would suit your needs and would be a bit easier on your wallet... Rene has them. Think he even had them on for his famous world tour...

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I like how my BFG AT's perform. They are great on road tires and work fairly well offroad unless you are muddin alot. They are supposed to be one of the best winter tires, and with a plow on your other truck I would assume that you do alot of that. I like the new looks of the BFG AT KO version. I have 2 original and 3 Ko's and the KO's are way better looking aggresive wise then the original. They also last for awhile. The only drawback is price. 32's are $130 each or so at Discount.

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I had a set of BFG All-Terrain K/O's on a 98 Blazer (32's), and I put about 65,000 miles on them before I replaced them. They rode good, wore like iron (obviously), and did great in snow, and on ice/wet pavement. I only replaced them because they wore poorly due to bad ball joints on the truck.

5. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Just curious, but did you check on tires at Sam's Club? The last time I was "just looking", they were the place to beat for most anything. It might make it worth the membership fee. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I've run about every brand over the years and found many good ones but have always ended up back with Kelly Safari AWR's. Great performance all the way around. Have used 2 sets of 12.50 x 33's and on my first set of 315 x 16's (35") with great ride and tire wear so far. They work great in snow, sand and are quiet as well. Priced reasonable @ $675 for the latest ones. Side view

7. bluboti

bluboti Registered Member

I put 32x11.50 geolander AT II on my 90k5,i get a lot of hey whered you get those tires at?

8. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

well i have found on my everyday driver the 87 i run a set of micky thompson 32/12.50/15 baja belted, and on my 76 blazer i run the same tire but in a 35/17.5/15 and on pavement, and in snow, which is all i have played in they do really good, rotate them every 3-5000 miles and you can get up to 60, i know it sounds crazy but i have a set to prove it, real nice tire, im a dealer i can get you a good deal on them, jsut get ahold of me /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd personally opt for the BFG AT's....the same tire with a little harder compound is the Sport King AT...I've had several sets of those over the years and they wear like Iron, balance up well, and have good road manners....the BFG AT's are a Great snow tire....The Sport Kings are about $115 ea last I saw.....

10. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Everyone has their own opinion, but I have liked the Firestone FireHawks. I have the 32x11.50 on my K5. The handle really well. I am not totally sure what kind of mileage you could get out of them.

My preference would be to have a set of Big O XT's or AT's

just my .02

11. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

hey, y dont ya swing by sometime and look at mine. i got em for $108 each from my uncle. they are 35"s and u can get smaller if ya want. let me know

NITRO

12. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Another vote here for the BFG AT's. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I might get shot on here for saying this, but Michelin LTX M/S tires are about the best all out tire I have ever seen and had the chance to ride on. I've even seen them in action in the clay trails of Uhwarrie, NC. They're fairly cheap, ride well, and wear good as well.

14. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I had the Michlen LTX on my 97 K2500 they worked great. I've been real happy with the Pro-Comp A/T's Ive got on my DD they are 33/12.5/15 I havent tried them in serious mud but they've done great on job sites and in the snow.

15. jjlaughner

I've been through there a few times and I saw the goodyears but I didn't see the AT/S style, maybe I'll swing back through this weekend! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. jjlaughner

Cool, I like the looks but I done some research on them
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Pros
    This tire starts out with 16/32nds of tread depth, and has exceptional traction capabilities.

Cons
    Tire is discontinued by the manufacturer

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'll still check around though

17. jjlaughner

I had Firestone Firehawk R4S 31x10.5x15 on my old dodge pickup and I really liked them. I hit one curb at the mall in the log-wagon and the sidewall ripped up. Still held air but it flapped around till sears replaced it!

18. jjlaughner

Wow, its amazing NO ONE said Goodyears! I've always been a Goodyear and Valvoline guy. What type tires do you have? This weekend is kind of full till Sunday. Firday night we are bar hopping in Indy and Saturday is the gun show! Man I need to move to Indy and then I won't have to buy new tires! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I got a price of $575 from Big O tires for the goodyear AT/S tires just like what on the truck now, but I might do some more research just to see! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. jjlaughner

I would love to have some mickey MTX's but I would have to go ahead and spring for the Challenger wheels too and they are twice what the wheels are /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

20. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The Michelin LTX's are a good tire. I went wheeling with a guy that had them on his Blazer and his LTX's did better in the mud then my BFG AT's or my buddies BFG AT KO's did. They cleaned themselves really well compared to the BFG's. He got the LTX's because he couldn't afford the BFG's so I am assuing that they are cheaper then the BFG's. I really do like my BFG's though. I have never had a problem with them and they wear very well.