Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

suggestions please....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazin4th, Jun 8, 2005.

1. blazin4th

blazin4th Newbie

i have just bought my first 4x4 and have had a dream of building a good climber for a long time. i have no idea what a good lift and tire combination would be good for the type of truck i would like to build. if anyone has any suggestions as to what they would think best let me know please. i would like to go with either a 4" lift with some 32's or mayve a 6" lift with 33's. if anyone knows of a good combo let me know....

thanks...
    paul

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

congrats! year? model?

depends on how you want to use it... mud? trails? rocks? mall parking lot? ;) How a rig is going to be used is vital to inform how it should be designed...

j

3. blazin4th

blazin4th Newbie

its an 84' k5 blazer, 4x4. i am wanting to do more rock than anything else...thought the mall parking lot sparks some interest...wondering how many shopping carts and electric buggies one could jump. i have always had so much fun rock climbing with friends in their rigs and have wanted to do so myself but never had the chance. everyone around here just wants to build theirs to mud...don't get me wrong...nothing bad about mudding...just not for me.

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

you can fit 32x11.50 without lift :)

5. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the club sir... Here you will find all the information you could possibly want to find about Blazers, and some other Cheby products too... there are a handful of vendors who custom fab stuff just for Blazers, and there are general vendors who make stuff for 4 wheeling in general.

First thing we need though is your Truck's Specs.... I am going to assume that you have a 350 and some sort of automatic tranny, likely a TH350 just because of the year. I'll also assume 10 bolt axles front and rear, 6 lug 15 inch wheels, and 31 inch rubber currently. Stock quad shocks, and possibly a steering stabilizer depending on what problems it had before you got it...

Most people here start out simple with larger tires and a lift... of course, 10 bolt axles are not made for rock crawling, although many people do use them to this day for everything from mountain climbing to mudding. An upgrade to 14bolt Full Float in the rear, a Dana 60 in the front, 8 Lug wheels, rear disk brakes, and 35" tires with a 4 inch rear and 6 inch front Tough Country lift, rear Shackle Flip and 2 inch body lift should do you just fine... That will make your truck ride level, give you tons of articulation, and won't break your bank account... should be able to do everything mentioned for about $3000 including new tires and rims... but some people will disagree with me due to your location, or the going price of something in my list of upgrades. =)

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

oh, dude... you are about 60 miles away from me. Excellent :) 76blazerguy is in Wichita too, but his rig and mine are both down for the count right now.

He has a leaking rear main seal, and I blew up my pump seal on my tranny :( We should definately meet up sometime.

BTW if you have Yahoo, we have a group; ICTOffroad

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Welcome !
    Words for the wise - Read post's and use the search feature on this sight until you can not take it anymore . Than , and only than , decide on what you want and make a plan before you spend your hard earned money.
    So many of us have waisted time effort and money on build up parts that were not what exactly what we wanted in the long run.
    Chances are that you will change your mind once or twice before you decide on how hardcore your wheeling style will be but do some reading and leave your options open until you know what you want.
    Good luck !
    Tom

P.S. go mild with something like 4" lift and 33" tires at first - if you decide that more is for you than it will be easy to move those parts in used condition so that you can put some of that investment towards other parts when the time is right if you want more out of your truck.

8. blazin4th

blazin4th Newbie

that would be cool....i also have a yahoo account...deathbyfurbie. i use to go to the group rooms but found that there were people who were taking everything there too seriously. lol...kind of scared me.

9. blazin4th

blazin4th Newbie

thanks for the tips...i will keep them in mind while shopping about. and as far as a tranny goes...it has a three speed stick in it. i like sticks but i'm getting rid of it and switching to auto. don't want to have to worry about shifting while riding up a hill.

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

well, we don't chat in the chat room, we just started the group so we can get some 'local' people to talk 4x4 and get info about other mud holes in the area

11. blazin4th

blazin4th Newbie

cool...i haven't heard of any good holes around here. someone once said there was a hole out by my farm but i haven't found it. i think maybe they were drunk or something.