Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suggestions/Recommendations on Buying a Crate Engine

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rob_b8, Jan 30, 2006.

1. rob_b8

rob_b8 Registered Member

I have a 1989 full size Silverado Blazer. I want to redo the bosy and drop in a new engine. Right now there is a 5.7 Litre 350 with about 198,000 km's.
    I have never put a new engine in before and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on which one's I should look at...

I have been on the GM Performance Parts site and looked at all of teh engines but right now I have minimal knowledge on which one would be best to look into...

2. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

first, set a budget here and we can help you better. otherwise there is an unlimited amount of possibilities

3. rob_b8

rob_b8 Registered Member

I'm hoping to spend anywhere from 2 -4 thousand...

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I'd recommend getting a GM crate motor.

I went through this same routine 3 years back. I went with the internet site that advertises a 7 year warranty. I had a rod knock develop after 2 1/2 years. The "7 year" warranty is a ruse. It's actually a 2 year which becomes pro-rated over time. They only cover mechanic's repair expenses at the rate of 38.00 an hour. They do not cover parts after the initial 2 year period and don't even cover all the parts in the 1st two. The engine was subcontracted through an outfit in Washington called S&S Engine. So I got hosed.

Be careful when you choose.

5. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

You need to decide what you want to do with this rig first off. DD, light trail use, hardcore offroad... I got a GM Target Master 350. It came with good waranty when new and it was cheap because it was local and it was a bare engine. I had to use my accessaries. My rig is a DD with weekend trail abuse and it works fine. But if you want my opionion go Big Block.

6. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

get a gm crate 350,

add a eledbrock, cam/ intake combo

new alt, starter and ps pump

add an atractive set of valve covers, air cleaner and a new dist, new motor mounts and t-mount, flat black or clean up the engin bay and you will be in it for 3 grand, have warantees on everything and smile when you pop the hood!

while the motors out Id think about a frame brace, brake lines and checking your brake mc and booster condition

nothing like a clean enw engin bay :)

7. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Rob I'm doing the same thing right now.

Here are some of the choices I am considering and the prices quoted by the dealership, notice I am from Canada too so these are our prices. I'm at work right now so I can't give you much more description than the part numbers. I know the first one is the bare bones 350, the last one is bare bones 454. So far, I'm really leaning towards the 383. If you want me to list what engines these are I can do that tomorrow.

Part # List $$ Your price $$

12499529 2,647 2,250

12496968 5,878 4,750

24502609 6,176 4,995

12499120 7,652 6,250

12496769 6,897 5,575

12499101 6,714 5,500

12568774 8,385 6,900

All items are subject to GST & PST

8. rob_b8

rob_b8 Registered Member

Thanks for the info...
    I can look up those engine numbers from what I printed off of GM's site.

I was leaning towards a big block but I'm going to check the specs on the ones that you listed...

I'm think I'm going to get a dealership to do the install....and I assume that the prices that you listed are just for the engine..not the install

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Assuming you are still TBI, if you intend to keep it that way, going with anything other than a base 350 is going to cause additional headaches, if you hadn't contemplated that.

10. rob_b8

rob_b8 Registered Member

Sorry...I'm a bit new to this forum...what is TBI? I'd like to get at least 350 HP out of anything that I put in and I'd also like to go to a dual exhaust from what I have now....
    The 383 that is listed on GM's site looks to be close to what I am looking for....but I'd say that I'm an amateur in this field so I do appreciate the responses....

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Ok TBI= throttle Body Injection. It is the fuel injection system GM used on 87-91 Blazers. Unless you plan on switching your fuel system over to a Carbeurator. You will have to stick with an engine designed for TBI Fuel Injection. That leaves your choices pretty limited
    You wont see 350 HP with TBI without extencive mods and computer chip programing. The 383 GM crate engine wont work withTBI without a reprogremed Chip and lots of Fuel system mods.
    I dont think you will find a GM dealer that will put a 350 hp engine in a 89 Blazer because of emmision issues.At least not in the US. Maby Canada is diferent. But I dont know how they work things in the great white north.
    Your best bet to get a good performance engine installed it to go to a local performance shop and have them do the work. I think with a 4k budget you can get a nice respectibale fuel injected engine installed. If you will settle for around 300 HP. That extra 50 HP you want will really cost you $$$$$$.

If you want to convert your Blazer to a Carb than go with the GMPP crate 383. But you will loose all the benifits of fuel Injection.

12. caleb22

caleb22 1/2 ton status

Since mine is not a DD, I thought about buying one from these folks

http://www.chevy-350-engines.com/chevy-350-engines.html

but then you have to ship back the core...not good for the $$$.

Summit sells crate engines also, and they offer no payments for 3 years with credit through them...just a thought.

I also checked Advance Auto...they have remanufactured ones for around $1,200 also.

I have a 89 K5 also that I need a new engine for, but since it's not a DD and since I want to learn more about assembly I plan to go the cheaper route with a remanufactured engine.

Just my $.02

13. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

stay away from remans from a-zone, checker ect!

the cost is only 200 bucks cheaper then a gm motor,

14. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Unless you go with Part # 12499120 That is the Ram Jet 350 with 350 HP 400 TQ. It is my second choice. "state of the art, electronically controlled port fuel injection system...latest generation MEFI 4 controller...pump gas"

15. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

GM crate, best deal right now + a warranty. Bought mine from Jeg's. Free ship.
    By the way, it is the best "open it" charge to unpack that baby. And of course you have gifts for the new arrival (CHROME).:haha:

<==== There's one right now.

16. rob_b8

rob_b8 Registered Member

Thanks Thunder...

That info is very helpful....

I'm pretty sure that up here we aren't restricted with emissions the same as the US...but I'm not 100% sure...I'll look into that...

I'll look into the RamJet as well, but that might be over the high end of what I was budgeting for this job...
    It looks like I have a few options...thanks for all the info everyone...it was very helpful..

17. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

We have it in Ontario.

18. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

http://www.sdpc2000.com/
    try here and then look at these.http://www.sunsetracecraft.com/
    Notice they are both in Lubbock. Anything aftermarket peices put on or in one of scoggin dickeys motors are done at Sunset. Take a look through the Sunset site and you wont be disappointed. I worked there for a few years and still love to go up there and drool. Best machine shop I have ever entered. Scoggin has hundreds of combinations so check them out. Only thing is shipping now lol.

19. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i have the GMPP 454 HO, the one you stated as bare bones.
    Hot Rod had an engine special issue out, from the crate with headers, dizzy, and a carb it made 467 hp & 576 lb ft, its the one i have in my 88 K5.
    i bought it from Summit Racing for $5000 shipped.

though i dont know if they ship to Canada.

20. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Wow, out of the box they claim 425/500. How bad is the fuel consumption? I've never driven a 454 but is it that much worse then a healthy 350?