Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suggestions....?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Jan 7, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Alright, here's the deal, I have a D60 with a trac-lok and a 14bff with a detroit, both with 4.56 gears. I'm looking for an 87-91 K5 but since I live in Minnesota, all the trucks around here are rusted out, so I figured while I was waiting for one to come along I would start buying lift components. I'd like to run an ORD 4" shackle flip with 2"-3" springs in the rear and an extended shackle and 4" springs in the front. I read somewhere that factory D60 spring perches sit almost 1" further above the axleshaft centerline than factory 10 bolt spring perches. So, the truck would be lifted 6" in the front and 6"-7" in the rear. First off, are there any glaring flaws with this setup that I'm overlooking? I'd like to run 18x39.5" boggers, has anyone done a similar setup? (6" of lift and 39's I mean) I'm prepared to do a good bit of fender trimming so that's not a problem. There was someone who fit 39.5" TSL's with 4" of lift that looked pretty good. Also, if you're running a similar setup, what kind of backspacing are you running. I would appreciate pictures too if you have any. Sorry, this turned into kind of a long post but I'd appreciate opinions and help.

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you are planning on getting an inch or two of lift from extended shackles on the front.......not really a good idea. For just 1" of lift the shackles would have to be 2" longer, and in the front that is enough to cause issues with alignment and driveshaft angles.

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Brad(6.2blazer) is right. And actually, I think the ORD shackles only give about 3/4" lift. Mine were not even noticable(lift wise)...

Sounds like a good set-up.. If you want, go to the Member Rides gallery(or forums) and search for JK5.. He is running 6" springs and 44's... Also look for tRustyK5. He is running around a 6" lift and 39.5's....

:thumb:

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the ORD shackles are 1/2" longer than stock, so they give you 1/4" lift.

personally, i would not buy parts till i have the vehicle, unless you are looking for a specific year or two and model. stuff like axles and stuff you could, but you might find a truck that has the axles you are looking for/already bought.

5. mikey_d05

I was planning on using a Hill 4WD extended shackle but that shounds like it's not such a good idea. Should I run a taller spring or try a 1" Zero-Rate? (Please say taller spring because I really don't like the idea of any sort of block in the front) Thanks for your help.

6. mikey_d05

...and yes, I'm looking for very specific vehicles. Like I said, the main problem around here is rust. The rockers on these trucks go very quickly with all the salt on our roads, and while I'm planning on replacing them anyways, I'd like to have something left to weld to.

7. Emmettology 101

From what everyone says, a zero rate isn't llike a block. It attaches into your spring pack and is like another leaf. So they are safe in the front. Just like having you overload in, but cutting it down in length.

What about the ORD shackles and 4" springs? Or maybe even 6"....

8. mikey_d05

I'm probably going to go to an ORD shackle now no matter what, but I believe they're the same length as the stock shackles on 88-91's. Would something like a 6" BDS spring flex and ride pretty well? I would try and do a 4" lift and run 39.5's but I need my inner fenders for winter and mud. It's not going to be a DD but I will have to drive it occasionally during the winter.

9. Emmettology 101

What about 52" rears up front with some added leafs? I think cost wise, thats the best bet right now...

I never had BDS.. Always ran Superlift and I was very happy with their 6" Supperide springs!

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

not just rockers but quarters, floors front and rear, and rear leaf mounting brackets on the frame rot out and break, and doors and fenders too, lower 8" or so of bodies go bad late 80s early 90s, major rot out

i think you guys up thjere get more snow and ice but use lots less salt and cinders
    youre only 6 or 7 hours from here
    i know three ppl who live up there, they come back and forth often, as recently as this week

good luck

11. mikey_d05

I don't have much experience with K5's, how much work would 52's up front entail? They'd provide more flex correct? I'm a high school student with a small garage and no shop so I can't really do a whole lot of custom work. I generally use friend's shops for working on my current vehicle ('93 Fullsize Blazer 4" lift and 33's) since it doesn't fit in my garage and neither will the upcoming one once I have it lifted. I put a Superlift 2" spring lift on my dad's '91 GMC Suburban and it rides like a covered wagon. I've ridden in leaf sprung trucks lifted 6" (with springs) that are smoother. No offense, but I wouldn't go with Superlift again. And about the rust, you're right, everything goes quickly, but the rockers are generally the first sign of major trouble. I'd never heard about the rear spring mounts though, I'll have to watch out for that. Minnesota as a whole doesn't use much salt and sand, but it's enough to accelerate rust in this climate, and the town I live in prefers sand over plowing.

12. Emmettology 101

No offense taken. I dont own Superlift. :D But to get the nice ride and flex, you need to get their Superride springs.