Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suggestions???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shanemcg45, Feb 28, 2005.

1. shanemcg45

shanemcg45 Registered Member

After being on CK5 for a couple of weeks now, I've learned quite a bit. Mainly that the majority of y'all could tear down a blazer, tell me what every part and piece is, where it goes, what it does and what would be a better part. So after having made about 4 pages of notes and lists of what I want to do to my K5, I'm wondering if I could get some of y'alls input and suggestions. First off, it's a DD (just figured out what that meant last week). It's an 85 K5. So far I've put some 33x12.50's on steel 15x10's. I've got ORD's 1" body lift and new body mounts on order. For the suspension I'm thinking the 2-1/2" shackle flip for the rear and the 3" Tuff Country EZ Ride for the front. I'm planning on a 383 crate to go with the stock 700 tranny. As far as gearing goes, I've been told that 4.10's would probably be ideal. I live in west Texas, so I don't have a whole lot of hills. And like I said, It's a DD. Other than the highways it'll see some trails, back roads and mud. But nothing too serious. Just let me know what y'all think and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd go with a 4" shackle flip instead of a 2.5". Our trucks tend too sag in the rear, and the 4" would help keep it level.

3. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Ditto. I'm running 3inch front and 4inch rear springs. No more saggy-butt.

4. shanemcg45

So, 3" set up in the front and the 4" shackle flip in the rear with stock springs should do the trick? Will I have to make any angle changes or lengthen anything for a 4" lift?

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You'll probably have to shim the rear diff to correct the pinion angle. You may also have to lower the transfer case/tanny some to help the angle some.

If you're going to regear I'd seriously look at 4.56's. Still only 2275 rpm at 70 mph, but will allow you to upgrade to 35's or 36's later without another gear change. Very few people ever stay with 33's and never decide a little bigger wouldn't be cool. Might as well plan for it now.

i would also do a search on 3/4 ton swaps, it gets talked about a lot and is an alternative you should at least consider.

Rene

6. shanemcg45

Rene when you say "3/4 ton swaps", you're talking about the axles correct? I was told I have 10b stock. They'll be fine for the time being with 33's right? Fixing up a K5 is worse than having an ex wife and 3 children. Good thing I'm not married or have any kids so I can afford all this.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah I mean the axles.

The smartest thing you can do is try to plan ahead whenever you can, because it can save you a ton of money. Regearing 10 bolts versus swapping in 3/4 ton diff's will cost about the same money...but the 3/4 ton stuff is stronger. 10 bolts in the rear are not known for their strength or ability to take a lot of abuse, whereas the 14 bolt rear will outlast the truck as long as there is gear oil in it.

Many people regret pouring money into 10 bolts. It may have seemed like a good idea at the time, yet eventually they want to go bigger and they start breaking them.

The 3/4 ton diff's also get you bigger brakes, and larger lugs which are both good things. Also easy and inexpensive to swap rear disc's with a 14 bolt rear.

I would strongly suggest research and planning before anything. All the info is here. If you plan it well you can save a lot of money and limit redundancies.

Rene

8. shanemcg45

I see what you're saying. Because now I'm regretting the new wheels that aren't going to work with 3/4 ton axles. Only $80 a piece, but still. Oh well. You live and you learn.