Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shanemcg45, Mar 8, 2005.

1. shanemcg45

shanemcg45 Registered Member

Ok I've done the tires and wheels then the 1" body lift and new body mounts. I don't know if I should start putting back money for the 383 (stock 305 is still running) or go ahead and do the suspension. What would y'all suggest? By the way, everything except above mentioned is stock. What's my next step???:confused:

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

what size tires? what % do you drive streets as opposed to off road? how old are you? (younger usually wants the bigger motor)

3. shanemcg45

33x12.50's. It's a daily driver, so I'm on-road about 95% of the time. I'm going to have to swap out the motor sooner or later and figured for a little bit more I might as well go with the 383. 29 and this is my first project truck. I've had newer vehicles up till now that required little maintenance. So I'm really learning as I go with the K5.

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i'd say go with the engine, but its always hard for me to save money for big projects when i can spend it on smaller ones. Since you dont off road much, the engine would benifit you more I think, plus it should be more reliable than the stock engine.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd probley go ahead and do the suspension now if the 305 is running good. Heck, a 4 to 6 inch suspension lift won't cost a arm and a leg anyways. What are your plans for the suspension anyways ??

6. shanemcg45

That's how I am, if I've got $500 saved I'll usually find something I want instead of continuing to save it. Branndon, I took a look at your profile and I'm planning on the same suspension set-up you have. The 4" shackle flip and 4" springs up front. Did you have to modify anything with just a 4" lift? Hope y'all don't mind me asking all these questions..

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  7. shanemcg45

When I go in and do the lift, should I go ahead and replace all the steering components as well?

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i went from 6 to 4 inches, so i dont know all whats required for your lift, but a steering block or dropped pitman arm, longer brake lines, and maybe drive shafts are what all come to mind. as far as replacing the whole system. if its stock parts, i would just fot piece of mind and maybe it will save you down the road.