Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

suggestions.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ducati-cooter, Mar 10, 2002.

1. ducati-cooter

ducati-cooter Registered Member

I am looking for suggestions for my rig. I have a 90 k5 jimmy with a 350/700r4 10 bolts front and rear both open, warn premium hubs, and everything else stock. I drive the rig to and from work every day roughly 50-60 miles round trip. I also own a motorcycle for summer for the gas. I am wondering what would be teh best upgrades and what sould I go through and replace as far as reliability or preventative maintnence. the truck is taken off road 1-3 a month depending on hte work scedule. PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

put in a 14ff rear and a dana 60 front and lock both ends /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

how many miles are on the rig?
    changing axles is great, but may be a little more than you need.
    what size tires, and gears, is it lifted?

4. ducati-cooter

ducati-cooter Registered Member

it is bone stock 103k miles no lift and running 31 pos tires htey were new when I got the rig and they are the worst tires I have ever owned, I don't know the gearing ahve been to busy fixing all of the pidly cap to checkl

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

what kinda wheeling do you do? or do you want to do?

6. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

some good All-terrain tires, and maybe a lockrite upfront, with that low mileage, you should only need routine maitenance (oil tranny fluid/filter, maybe time to change the differential fluid etc) a set of 1 1/2" wheel spacers on the rear will set teh rear tire out from under teh truck, and even them up with the front. it is really more for looks than any wheeling puposes, and it only cost like $150

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I would compression test the engine and get an idea of how its wearing, take care of regular maintentance items first (oil and coolant can tell you a lot on the condition of the motor). After the engine, examine and take action with the tranny (new ATF, filtes etc look for excessive metalic particles) this is just insure daily driving. Take care of all that piddly stuff like bad seals, ball joints, steering play, etc). You might consider a small lift, 4 inches or so and some slightly larger tires as the short wheel bases makes great use of it and judge your needs from there. Most people are happy with this combo for at least a couple of years before getting the itch to do more. This is also a good entry level as lifts or tires in excess will usually require more of an investment into longer drivesahfts, new gears, etc. I would suggest getting a steering brace right of the bat as this will eventually break without it.