Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suggestons neede for install

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by unsane, Dec 3, 2002.

1. unsane

unsane Guest

I am having a hard time tightening the tranny to engine bolts on my 89. I just dropped the motor in and it is all lined up except I cant get the bolts all the way tight. like 3/8 inch gap between the tranny and engine. This has become a major PITA !! I cannot push the motor any farther back either. Yes I am using the correct bolts too. Any help? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
  2. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

Aug 1, 2002
    Sounds like the torque converter/flexplate/input shaft isn't lined up correctly or not pushed together all the way.
  3. Could it be that the torque converter isn't on all the way?
  4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Feb 17, 2000
    Pull them appart. I'm with the other guys and it sounds like the torque converter isn't seated. when you install a converter you have to spin it till it lines up and then it will slid in a good 3/4 of an inch as it engages. Then bolt the engine to the tranny and bolt the converter to the flex.
    If your tring to install the engine with the converter already bolted to the flex plate your not going to get it together and could damage the transmission and converter.