Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sulfur out of diesel...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 79k20350, May 10, 2006.

1. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

How do yuo guys think this will affect older diesels like th 6.2 when they take sulfur out of diesel by the end of the year?

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Up here in Canada we've been usinglow-sulphur diesel for years. I use a quality additive like Red Line or Stanadyne at every fill up, and haven't had a problem. I've got over 100K on this injection pump.

3. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

I have heard from several people that just the new low sulfur diesel without any additives, that it reduces the lubricity of the diesel and seems to chew up parts, but havent used it personally.

Regards,
    Remington

4. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

paul.. if my research is correct, your low sulfur diesel is 500ppm sulfur, which is what our on road sulfur level is now.. that would account for the longevity of your injector pump.

Experince here with ultra low sulfur 15ppm has shown shorter injector pump life, increased bacteria, fungus and yeast, ( sulfur controls their growth), and harder starting when hot,due to the fuels volatility. ( it's made from #1, not #2.)

Starting next month, US refineries can produce diesel with no more than 4-5 ppm sulfur, or be shut down by the EPA. the fuel is expected to pick up sulfur that's left in the pipeline..users have the option of trusting that the sulfur amounts will be correct, or pay extra for lubricity additives that are petroleum based, and turn to a nice goo under combustion temps.

food for thought.. stanadyne makes diesel fuel injection systems for companies like international.. warranties don't cover parts that die from lack of lubrication.. what incentive does stanadyne have to produce an additive that protects a part, when they can make more money selling you a replacement for that part?

Tom

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

how much is the additive? and do you have a link?

6. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

the situation I'm describing really pertains to a fleets bulk fueling operations, so the price is going to be determined by the fuel distributor who will do the additizing, and the cost is generally "folded into" the per gallon price.

Tom

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'll use...

Marvel Mystery Oil is touted to work well to replace the lubricity lost when low sulpher fuel is used...I'll just add a swig or two to every tankfull....its always kept my gas engines running smooth,especially the air cooled ones..nothing frees sticky valves better..:crazy: