Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sulfur smell, cat going? :)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jun 12, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have been driving my 95 K2500 since I got it last night and enjoying it but I noticed once and a while when I really get on it and slow down it smells like someone lit a couple matches. The sulfur smell happening. Isn't that a sign the cat is clogged or getting there? Its not exactly a performance monster and a clogged cat would be a good excuse to lose it in favor of a high flow or straight pipe.

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Could be, different brand's of gasoline smell really bad too. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Is it Your normal brand of Gas? Or what was in it?

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

My 2001 GMC 1/2 ton and my buddy's 99 chevy 1/2 ton both do the same thing. When you get on it and really make the motor run, it smells like rotten eggs or sulfer. I think it might just be the fact that you are trying to push so much exhaust through the cats at once. Just a thought though. Does your truck constantly have that smell or just when you put your foot in it?

Kris

4. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I say pull it off and go strait pipe. Your truck will run better and sound good too. Just kidding. Does your state have inpections/emissions testing? If not dual flowmasters sound sweeet.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my old man's a research chemist, he says they will smell like sulfur the most when they are brand new... maybe the guy u got the rig from had a new one installed for some reason? in any case, it oughta go away in time.

j

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it has a new exhaust but I think its fromt he cat back. Muffler and piping do look brand new the cat is the big disk flat factory kind. I will be puting headers and full exhaust on it sometime. Need a little more pep for passing power and off the line. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif got to rationalize. I was considering just removing my muffler and running a 90 off the cat and just have that be my muffler. May do that since I Can't afford headers and exhaust right now.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I was considering just removing my muffler and running a 90 off the cat and just have that be my muffler.

[/ QUOTE ]

Previous owner of a friends '88 1/2 ton removed the muffler, leaving only the cat converter to reduce sound. I have nothing stock that year to compare it to, but it sounds really good IMO. Deep sound, not loud enough to get you a ticket. Actually still fairly quiet, but you can tell something isn't normal with it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

It would probably run better if you have an exaust shop make you a strait pipe to replace your cat. That way you can retain your muffler and tail pipe (less resonance in the cab). I had it done for me when I lived in FL it only cost like $25 and I bolted it in myself.