Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sumertime Oil (20w 50)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieBlazer, May 11, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Anyone think 20w 50 is too thick to run in a 350 where the temperatures during the summer get above 90 daily? I run 10w40 during the winter and usually run 20w 50 during the summer time. Someone once told me oil that thick is only ment for big blocks adn I was doing more harm than good. Any suggestions? Comments?

2. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

I can't tell you if it is the best weight, but it won't hurt anything. I use 10W-30 or 10W-40 year-round here in central Texas. I'd assume that since you haven't gotten tons of posts saying, "Don't do that!" then it's ok by others, too.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I used to have an '81 K10 with a 250 inline 6 and it smoked a little. I put in the 20W50 oil and it quit smoking. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I ran that weight year round, too. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I think I'm gonna try that on my '85 K30 with the 454 and see what it does..... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

THAT IS ALL I RUN IN MY K5 AND SUB. YEAR AROUND.

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I'd like to run it year round but come winter time its a bit too thick for the old carb to keep a chuggin....summer time it turns fine, idles fine and runs great...besides a few telling me not to run it... I have heard nothing but good things from mechanics who swear running all v-8's on it to preserve engine life especially in towing and 4x4 situations. I've been runing it with no downfalls...just curious

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I live in a colder climate than you, but in the summer I run 15w40 in my tired ol' 305. I find that the thicker oil keeps the oil pressure up without really affecting mileage at all.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've ran 20/50 in alot of my motors. Sure, they're alittle harder to start in the cold, but I really like the thicker oil. My motors seem to last longer on the 20/50. I use Valvaline ( Misspelled ) .

8. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

I run 20w50 in the summer time in New York and 10w40 in the winter and haven't yet had a problem yet