Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Summer Camp Ideas?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LKJR, May 29, 2003.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

OK Guys, I"m working at a Boy Scout Camp again this summer and Myself along with two others are more or less the unspoken head of the staff due to seniority and experience. I'm looking for ideas to help bring the staff together and crazy things to do durning the week to make the campers see how much fun we have as a team. The past two years our staff hasn't bonded until the last week or so and being out there 6 weeks that isn't a good thing.
    i.e. one summer when I was a camper the staff would do the "survey says" thing off of family fued after some dumb skit.
    Or coming to lunch with some staffmember on a surfboard playing beachboys music.

you get the idea, I'm headed out there saturday morning so..... help me out here with some ideas.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Drunken orgy /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I worked at a camp or two... best way to bond, play stupid games together. Ones where you have to use team work the best. If you need any games, let me know. I have tons of them!

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

well where talking a staff of over 20 people so shoot me some ideas here steph if you would.

maybe some kind of team building excersize that's constructive in a way as well.

5. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Camp fire Ghost storie's, will bring em in, swimming, fishing, hiking, and the all important wood gathering, is a bonding experience. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

I'm a third year staffer starting this saturday!!! im so excited. im also the lodge chief of our lodge (waguli 318) so im kinda important. and i know what situation you are talking about.

my friends at camp that i really know well are the ones i worked with ast year and the ones from OA. those people will always be friends, but the rest, always go out of you way to meet them and be kind. dont be mean.

cope games- the single best way to get people working together. "the blob" as we call it works great. one person starts out as "it" and has to tag people. the catch is that as the blob tags people, they have to be holding hands while they tag more people. it is really fun and teaches teamwork well. if they think it is booring, play on a hill, then it gets interesting.

if people dont even learn names, divide into two teams and have them stand on two sides. put up a sheet in the middle. each team selects one person to stand in front of the sheet. the sheet is dropped, and the first person to say the other's name wins. both people go to the side of the winner. the object is to get all people on one side.

even just having everyone pair up and learn everything they can about their partner and having to tell it to the whole group helps. you learn many things about all the people. its also funny when you tell anotyher person some false fact about a person and see if they will say it. be like "his nickname at school is..." and jst have fun.

does your staff go and do something during your staff week?> if so, definatly hang as a group.

but always remember to be nice and just cool to everyone in general. it makes life easier in general with any facet of camp. bonding games could be found in the cope manual. consult your cope director for more games. if you have any questions, shoot me a PM. just make it before friday night and i will respond. otherwise it wil be a while. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Ok..... here's a few things for ya.....

This one, kinda self explanatory. You have to work as a team to get from point A to B. You can race other teams or just do it to build teamwork.

[​IMG]

This one, it's a wood block. You have to get everyone on your team off the ground onto the block at once. Doesn't matter if you do piggy back if it works, which usually doesn't because you pull everyone else off. We made em stay up for 5 seconds, then 10 seconds and so.... winning team was like 20 some odd seconds.... it's harder then it looks!

[​IMG]

This one is called "Acid Lake" You make little islands up. You have to get your whole team across the lake without someone touching it using the boards. If you touch it, even with a toe, yer out. The team who gets their whole team across fastest wins. We had 6 islands, and 2 boards, about 6-7 per team. Not more then one person on an island at once. Not more then one person on the board at a time. Fingers touching the lake when picking up the boards can be a tough call, we let it slip sometimes out of you have too to get the board, and when it's flat on the ground, you can't even lift it cuz it's awkward. You guys can make a call about that one.

[​IMG]

This one, you blindfold your team. Then move them apart, and spin em around. No talking at all. You can touch and try to communicate that way. Even stomping or clapping works. Have the team line up in different orders. By height is a good easy starter. Then you can try a hard one like by age/birthday.

[​IMG]

This one is just fun. It's dodgeball with marshmallows. This is the way we set it up. We used cheapy ropes and tent spikes to make the field so no cheaters would go across the line. We had a rule if someone threw a marshmallow and you caught it, they would be out. If you dropped it though, see ya, you are gone. Best part is when someone discovers you can lick em and stick em together...

[​IMG]

This really isn't a game, but it's funny. We wanted everyone on time to meals. If you were late, we made you stand up front and sing a really retarded song and do a dance. Our song of choice was "Brown Squirrel" Once you did it, you were not late again.

[​IMG]

This one is basically stupid, but fun. Everyone gets into a circle and someone gets in the middle. They will say a line from this song, everyone repeats it back. You start quiet, and get louder. Our song of choice was this:

Way down yonder not far away
    A blue jay died of a whoopin cough
    He whooped and he whooped and he whooped so hard
    That he blew his head and his tail right off
    Next verse, same as the first, little bit louder and whole lot worse

(Dunno why it comes up blurry, it scanned clear, oh well)
    [​IMG]

This one is called "Challenge Kickball" We were calling it "Retard Kickball" but someone got offended... but anyhow. You set up like normal kickball. But once you kick the ball you need to hop on one foot around the bases. Pitcher is blind folded (can have a helper by them to help direct, but they can't touch em) and the outfield team, their hands are all tied together with a bandana. It makes for some good laughs for sure...

[​IMG]

This one is one of the best games I have ever played for team building. It's the "The Web" You goal to get your whole team through it from one end to the other. You can give people handicaps. Like tie two people together, blindfold one person, someone can't speak etc... We gave the teams a certain amount of touches to the web they were allowed. We usually gave 10. If you went over it we'd add time for each one. You can also see the tennis balls. If you get those you get bonus points. We had 6 balls in there. But you could only have 3 turns to get them. How we did that was the teams were smart, they'd figure out if they picked up two balls at once, that counted as one turn/touch. You can also let them do that with the touches on the web. We did for some teams who were struggling. You can modify it to work best for you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyhow, hope this helps you out some. Do you guys teach first aid at the start, just a basic thing? We did, it wasn't very serious. Just enough for them to think about it. We did it to different themes each week. Like one time we did it to movie styles. Like Kung Fu, tape is stuck in fast forward, tape is stuck in slow mo, dramatic, comedy, etc... you can have fun with it. We'd act it out in that style, then the guy who was leading it, would yell cut, and then explain it the right way so they understood it.

You can take things there at the camp and make them part of the skit. Like we had a golf kart (made by Harley Davidson of all things) that was all over the place. It was our theme one night. We taught how to treat a burn, cuz the tail pipe burned someone when it ran over their leg. We taught bee sting treatment when the kart hit a hive and the bees got you etc... On this one, we always did it the wrong way at first, how to treat it. Then a guy would step in, say you guys are stoopid (and that was our number rule at camp, don't be stoopid!), and then show em how to do it right. Adds some humor to something that can otherwise be boring, but a good thing to learn.

I have tons of other games. Just let me know! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

thanx guys I remember the cope days back when it was games like the block and the web and such, cope now is all a ropes course at most the camps but ours wont have it till 05 I think. I'll think on these, thanx for the mental inspiration.

9. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Steph! Those are great! Where were you when my parents were dumping me off at Catholic Summer Camp every year. You can only imagine what kind of games they played there. Made me hate summer camp for life... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

high cope isnt really team building. try low cope stuff like what sheph described. all of those work great, esoecially the one about sending people through the holes. one really easy one is the trust fall. i know everyone does it and it really builds faith, especially if yall have any larger people.