Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Summer Run in Northern AZ *Need More Input*

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by Greenblazer-AZ, May 1, 2002.

1. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

As some of you may know I won't be able to make the run in May, but I would like to start planning ahead for a camping required(because of distance from home) trip up north this summer. It's nice to get out of the Valley in the summertime, and I plan to escape the heat as much as possible by going up north. I do not know of any trails, but I'm sure they are there. Any suggestions? I'm thinking somewhere between the weekends of June 15th and July 20th. It should be planned as a three day trip. Meeting on Friday going up camping, wheeling all day Saturday, and camping then coming home on Sunday.

I'd like to see a firm meeting time so we can all caravan and stick together. I will have to plan this ahead of time so I can take time off work and the sooner we start planning the more people will be able to adjust their schedules to make it. I would like to avoid the weekend of the end of the month when most people have to pay bills and rent, and the further away from now the better for planning, so here are my suggestions:

June 14th-16th, June 21st-23rd, July 5th-6th, July 12th-14th, and July 19th-21st.

Post what weekend would work the best for you and we'll see which weekend will have the best turnout. If you know of any trails or have resource information to find some that none of us have done let us know. I'd like to go north of Payson or as far north as the Flagstaff area. I've never been to the White Mountains part of the State, and would like to explore up there. Anyone else interested?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Re: Summer Run in Northern AZ

I have been to the White Mountains many times, but couldn't tell you of any "trails" up there. I am sure there are, but I don't know them. It is a great place to go if you got a week off work and wanted to relax, but a 3 day trip would be alot of driving. It is about a 5-6 hour drive to Big Lake from Phx.

As far as weekends go, I think I could fit in anything, but a word to the wise, don't schedule jack for July 4th weekend. The state becomes overrun with minivan campers, drunk drivers, and just plain idiots. Everyone and there brother with all his illegitamate kids want to go "camping" on July 4th. They will park 10 feet of the highway and "camp".

3. Greenblazer-AZ

Good point so lets nix that weekend. I would also say that tough trails are not necesarily a requirement for this trip. We could enjoy some of the scenic off highway forest roads, and enjoy the trees and cooler weather. I'm sure we could find something to play around on though.

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Kind of hard to make any plans for right now - Payson and Pine/Strawberry are a little questionable based on the current drought, if we don't get some rain pretty soon they're usually one of the first areas on the Tonto to burn - or get shut down for safety. As for the White Mountains, most of it is reservation, and WMAT access permits can get costly. My recommendations? Either up around Young/Pleasant Valley, or take a cruise out to some of the backroad lakes on the San Carlos reservation - Phillips Park, Gimme Tank and Dry Lake to name a few are all a pretty cool trip, and a little more centrally located for those of us coming out of the south. $7.50 a day per person for rec. permits, and some killer fishing for those of us who pursue that format of recreation.

5. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

That would be cool if it could be around the payson/rim area because I will be living up there in a few weeks. Should be able to take off any of those weekends.

6. FWP

FWP CRS

Don't forget about the cinders OHV park near Flag- 13,000 acres to play on/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I grew up riding dirt bikes at the Cinders OHV. It is much fun especially at night. I also played around up there when I went to NAU. I've been to a couple of 4x4 runs up there they are alway super fun. Every year the the Salt River Project offroad club, together with Empire Machinery hold a run called the Peaks Rally. It is a blast. I would vote for the Cinders OHV and also I'd try to get someone to lead a night run (that person must know the area well enough to navigate at night)

8. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Yeah, and the San Carlos Apache Rez sounds cool too. I fished at a place called Black River up there. Totally in the middle of nowhere. It was spectacular and many opportunities to wheel. I'm not sure on the pricing for permits though.

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My parents and I used to spend a week on vacation on the Black River every year. Excpet we would stay on the fork that wasn't on the Res. It is a really beautiful area. The only problem is that they stopped all camping along the Black River some years back. (non-res, I don't know about the res.) There are established camp grounds at Big Lake, and other places, and many non-established camping areas too. The only thing is it is a long drive.

Also, is anyone familiar with the area in and around Williams, AZ? I have done some Elk hunting up there, and there is a nice mix of possible wheeling in that area. You can be in the high pines and then be in the the high desert in a fairly short amount of time. Or possibly around Drake or Jerome.

Hey Prescott guys, is there any good trails you know of in and around the Big Bug Mesa region? I deer hunt in there alot, and you can also be in the pines, or in the high desert quickly. I image there is some good wheeling off the Senator Highway, around Arasta Creek, off the Big or Little Sandy Wash (behind Mayer), maybe off Bull Road behind mayer also. There is supposed to be a trail (that used to be a road) off Bull Road to Crown King. Or the area in and around Crown King. Also I have been told that the road to the Old Dandrea Ranch is washed out pretty bad, and is a very tight fit for a Heep. Is there anything around there? Also do you guys know of any good wheeling off the road from Wagner to Crown King.

Also do the Tucson guys know of any good wheeling in the Chirachaua (sp) Mountains by Wilcox. I hunted there a few years ago, and there was a road (357) that I saw some pretty nasty trucks go down, and come back the same way they went in. (couldn't make it past a large washout) That is in the high pines, and there is good camping at the abandon boyscout camp up there. The only problem with this is the long drive.

Also, if anyone knows of anything in or around the Snowflake/ Taylor area my Dad owns 40 acres of land we could camp on. The drive to Show Low from there is only about 45 min.

Sorry for being so long and rambling so much. I just kept thinking or places other people might know, and just kept throwing out ideas.

10. Greenblazer-AZ

Ideas are good! The park in Flag sounds neat. Got any more info?

11. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

San Carlos access runs $7.50 person/day for pretty unlimited use of the land. I know a few ways into Black River that would give some of the most hardcore 'wheelers second thoughts - especially in a fullsize/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Up around Snowflake could be a good run - Some pretty rude old logging roads to cruise. Another fun just drive is Workman Falls in the Sierra Anchas - I'll have to check with a buddy in the area if there's water there currently, but there's a pretty wild trail leading off of the Sierra Ancha wilderness to the back side of Roosevelt lake, where basically you have your own private cove.

12. ript

ript Registered Member

i'm just comin over the damn chicken pox (27 freakin years old, go figure) and i'm dying to get outta the house! nice up north run with some fishin thrown in is definately in order! my daily driver is sort of limited as to what trails it can run (haha, but i'm an idiot and i'll try anything) so let's put this together! water is definately a plus near the campground in my opinion!

13. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Sounds great!!! Let's get some planning in place - Only trouble is that I'm going to have the K5 down for most of the summer undergoing some major bodywork (cab's separating from the rest of the body) so I'll be the redheaded stepchild in toy #2 (87 Bronco/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif)

14. Greenblazer-AZ

OK guys, let's have some more input. Fred got any more information about the park? Is there water there? Eli find out about some trails in your area. Remote sounds cool, long drives are what I had in mind. I agree that some kind of water is a big plus. The Black River sounds interesting.

How about start thinking about dates. Are any of the dates I mentioned out for you for sure? If so let us Know. The sooner we pick a date the sooner we can start making arrangements to get off work. The more time we have to plan the better this run will be. All of those dates are good for me so if no one has plans then I'll just pick one. I'm leaning towards July 12th-14th myself. That gives us more than 2 months to plan, notify bosses, wives, kids, ect. If that weekend is bad for anyone let me know. If it's good then we can shoot for that weekend.

15. Greenblazer-AZ

TTT... Wassup guys? Let's get to planning. Anybody, anybody?

16. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I have been doing some scouting around Payson this past week and ran into a few snaggs about that part of the state. First I can't seem to find any good trails (my stock truck makes them easily). I talked to friends and even a 4x4 tours company and was told basicly that most of the hard ones have been closed by the forest service. I will contiune looking for other areas though. Second, a lot of the Tonto Nat. Forest was closed this past week because of extreame fire danger and I suspect more of it to be closing soon unless we get some rain. This almost rules out the Payson area completly! I will also try looking at areas on top of the rim here soon. As far as what weekend for my vote on the run...it is really too far away for me to pick one in particular. My life usualy lends itself to more speratic planning because I never really know what might happen with work or family. If someone picks a date though, I will be more than happy to shoot for it also. Hope more input will be added about other areas. Some sound promising.

17. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I shot a quick call to a buddy of mine at Payson Helitack, and the current contingency plan involves most of the upper Tonto being closed effective immediately. Apache Sitgreaves, Coconino and Prescott are developing similar restrictions as well, so barring some serious monsoon moisture and soon, I'd venture that any trail runs will be out of the question. Again I post my vote for the San Carlos Reservation - the roads are by no means tame enough to consider pleasant, but a stock rig can make it through with little difficulty.

18. Crusarius

Crusarius 1/2 ton status

Cinders!!!! great camping and high speed wheeling /forums/images/icons/smile.gif you v8 guys should like it there

19. Greenblazer-AZ

OK Keith, Tell me more about Cinders. What is the terrain like ist it dirt or rocks or what. Is there a river or other body of water? Are there trees or just scrub like down here? Got any pics?

20. Crusarius

Crusarius 1/2 ton status

cinders is real similar to sand dunes but instead of sand it is more like alot of pea gravel it mostly consists of big hill climbs there are ponderosa pines everywhere no water but fun and the top of the cinders is above 10,000 feet so it is nice and cool up there also only about a 2 hour drive give or take always a nice breeze at the top

http://www.cinders.alloffroad.com/images/Cinders17.jpg
    http://www.cinders.alloffroad.com/images/Cinders32.jpg
    http://www.cinders.alloffroad.com/images/Cinders31.jpg