Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Summer time, what would you do next?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Jun 6, 2006.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

ya its summer adn im gonna be gettin more hours, therefore more money.:D So im thinking my truck needs to be modified. Id like some help with the decision. :rolleyes:

Alright i mostly mud, well only mud, I've already got an 84 k5, 350 carb, th400, 208 and stock 10bs.

Ive already done exhaust, and a new intake/carb. I cant decide between stereo system, regearing the truck, soft top (which would be your choice), or ??????

any suggestions?:ears:

2. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

my input...knock the stereo system off your list for a while...

3. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I will probably get $hit for this, but i say mild stereo system. Although my truck still is mostly stock, and i hardly ever wheel it anymore due to a dieing tranny, i've gotten more enjoyment out of my stereo system than anything else.

Music is the soundtrack to my life......and having good tunes in your ride makes those miles fly by.

I commute a lot, travel a lot, and have never regretted the money spent on a stereo.

Mine is all low power, with a Sony cd deck, front/underseat/rear speakers, 4 channel 360 watt amp, and a 12" sub. 2 channels of the amp power the front speakers, other 2 channels are bridged to a JL W0 12 sub. Sounds pretty good, and will play LOUD on the battery for 8-9 hrs before needing a jump.

Anyways......if you drive your truck a lot....start with the stereo. I put a pretty kick ass stereo in my sister's grand cherokee wiht MP3 deck/speakers/sub/amp for just under $500 in a day.

Good luck!

4. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well to be honest...i got a decent system too...i just wish i didnt get it....yet:D

5. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Suggest going for regearing to save that slush box (auto tranny)

6. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Well out of those, I would do the soft top, but really, I would invest in a larger rear axle. just my .02

7. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

I would save up your money and get ready for something to break when you are in the mud, possibly rear end.
    -Kell-

8. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I'd go fishing!

9. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

10 bolts will probably be alright for the mud. If you need the gears then that is the way to go as it is a performance issue.

If performance isn't an issue, and you already have some music (even factory setup) then a ragtop will increase the fun factor big time! Only problem is you will probably be waiting for it all summer.

If you don't have any music at all, then holy crap that sucks! Get a stereo! A real nice sound system will only get ripped off though so wait until you can afford the security measures (ie, Tuffy).

My two cents...

10. broncoman6524

I've got the money to get a soft top, but im leaning more towards the gears. and ive already got a stereo...stock. lol

11. shockline

shockline Registered Member

I am gonna go fishin, drink beer, put in the 502, i replaced the old sides in the back with ply wood and put in 4 pioneer 6X9's with a 1200 watt amp and a kenwood disk player, stuff was cheap on ebay and i got fresh speakers. Sound is excellent and the best part is I can share it with anyone within 200 yards - man I am a generous guy. The stereo can also be a friend when your broke down on the trail and a loud one might save your life some time.
    I wish everyone an excellent summer.

12. shockline

shockline Registered Member

if you can get out to virginia I highly recommend
    http://www.geocities.com/od4wdc/
    its a truck rally on private property and more fun and camping than you can stand. I hope to see some other K5's there.

13. bigfancyname

bigfancyname Registered Member

If your gonna regear, compare the cost of a 3/4 ton swap then you have no worries of breaking a the rear. Stock 10 bolts are a dime a dozen but if you get it regeared if it does break its that much more $$ and most 3/4s are 4.10 you could get them both at once.

14. broncoman6524

the thing is, i would love to swap out axles and go bigger. but my parents are telling me i dont need to and its a waste, and that i couldnt afford it. Also that for my driving style itd be a wast and i wouldnt even notice a difference.

Off topic but...is it true that a th400 uses up 80hp just to make it work?

15. bigfancyname

bigfancyname Registered Member

Ive been wondering that too I have one in the burb behind my 6.5 and banks sidewinder and I think when the $$ allows I'm going with a built 700r4 or if I can find the stuff on the cheap maybe a 4l80e. But with that I need a $$1000 tranny controller from what I understand thats why Im leaning towards a 700r4.

16. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Regearing a set of 10-bolts will cost you more than buying a set of 3/4-ton axles with the right gears already in them. I paid $175 for a set of axles. The front didn't have any outers (the guy sold them separately to somebody else) but even buying the new parts (hub/rotors and backing plates) was only another $250. The rest of the stuff from the 10b swaps over.

Granted, I'm going a little overboard and replacing all the seals and having the housing powder-coated but that's just the way I roll, booyyeee. :D

I didn't have to spend any money for the 14bff. Didn't even pull the drums to look at the brakes. :wink1:
    Wait, I take that back. I had to spend $85 to get the driveshaft shortened and $28 for a conversion u-joint.

17. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

What gears are in your current axles? If you have some decent gears already (3.42, 3.73) the I would wait till you get bigger tires to get lower gears and bigger axles.

Put on a stacked plate tranny cooler and even with crappy gears and 31" tires I seriously doubt you will burn up a TH400 unless there is already something wrong with it.

The best question would be what is your budget?

Harley

18. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Re gear, you'll appreciate it. I've been living with a stereo that sounds like a fart machine..CD player died. But it's on my list. Got bumped for 4 new Bilsteins though.

19. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't need a radio, I like to listen to the sound of my truck.

Particularly when it is at full throttle :D

20. berserker

berserker 1/2 ton status

hmmm

i think i would go with a 3" body lift if you dont already have one. its a 100. lift but how can you not use it. and if you do it smart you could prob get a sweet radio/amp/speakers off ebay for cheap.