Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Summerizing" Snowmobiles

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bross82, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

\"Summerizing\" Snowmobiles

My family bought a couple of snowmobiles last year and were told by some guy at the dealership all this different maintainance that you "should" do year round. one of the things he said was at the end of the season is to "summerize" them. in other words, i think it was, they loosen the main track belt, and some other things. but, the main question i have is (does this sound right?), they said to spray some stuff in the air box which and let the engine cut out. it fouls the plugs and supposedly coats the inside of the chambers to protect them while they arent being used....does this seem like something that should be done? i've never heard of wanting to do something like this whether it be with a truck or a snowmobile or whatever type of vehicle and engine..... plus, as far as fouling the plugs, if i remember right a plug has to be replaced when fouled right?

thanks,
    matt

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Re: \"Summerizing\" Snowmobiles

Yeah I'm not sure on the exact procedure, but some maintenance should be done becuase it is gonna sit for over half the year. I know you need to keep the tracks off the ground so they don't rot. Basic stuff for the engine gas stabilizer or drain it new coolant so it doesn't corrode...etc. You have to do the same type stuff for boats and ski's "winterize" them for the down time /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Read the owners manual on reccomended procedures /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

thanks, i just thought intentionally fowling the plugs seemed strange

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

agree with jacking up the track. Only really neccessary if you are storing out doors. I also recommend puting a cap on the exhaust exit. Mice love to live in snowmobile exhausts. Never heard that fouling plugs thing and say most definetally don't do it. Put some fuel stabilizer in her(I drain fuel beginning of each season), and I like to start it up every couple weeks. Helps to keep the bees out of there and to keep fuel from sitting in the float bowls and messing stuff up. lastly, I hate you and I miss riding SO MUCH. too bad all the sleds I want are 8k plus, mmm the new Mach Z 1000 $10,000

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif Lifting the track off the ground? Gooing up the plugs? WTF? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif We have had snowmobiles longer than I have been alive (remember the phaser days? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif) and every spring we just leave them where we left off besides trying to leave them on empty so there isn't much gas in them. We have 4 machines, 2 arctic cat powder extreme triple 600's and two yamaha 600 long track Vmax's and we just leave them in the trailer for the summer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif We just start them about once a month and fill them up with fresh gas the next trip out for the new season.

Don't know about you guys out there in the North and East but here in Cali we don't even know what "track rot" is. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

6. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't know about you guys out there in the North and East but here in Cali we don't even know what "track rot" is

[/ QUOTE ]

this is why

[ QUOTE ]
    we just leave them in the trailer for the summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't specific to where it was stored at I was refering to storing iton the ground. No matter where you are if there is moisture it's not real good for the tracks to sit in the dirt /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    we just leave them in the trailer for the summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't specific to where it was stored at I was refering to storing iton the ground. No matter where you are if there is moisture it's not real good for the tracks to sit in the dirt /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    did I not mention if you store it outside?

8. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

For your question of spraying stuff in the engine, yes, I suggest you do it.

Well use it at the lawnmower shop. It's called Fogging Oil. Our's is made by Briggs & Stratton of course, but it does work.

However, the proper procedure doesn't foul out the plugs. You don't spray it until the engine cuts out. You simply spray a couple of short bursts in the intake, then cut the engine off by cutting the fuel off and letting it die itself. After that, you unhook the plug wires, then pull the spark plugs. Then you spray some of the oil into each cylinder while turning the engine over with the starter. It just keeps everything from getting rusted over from the moisture.

Oh yeah. The best way to store it with fuel in it is to pour in some fuel stabilizer and fill it up with a higher, say 89 or 93, grade of fuel. This keeps moisture from forming in the tank.

Hope this helps.

9. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Run a mixture of 16:1 through the motor before parking it.

Plug the exhaust with a rubber cork and tape off the air box.

Drain the gas tank.

Spray the chrome on the shocks with some silicone spray or WD40.