Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Summit brand timing set?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dogdaysunrise, Oct 14, 2005.

1. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

The cheapie summit brand timing set, is it a p.o.s? or would it be more worth ones while to get a set from craneor cloyes?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

name brands better..

USUALLY name brands are better,like Cloyes or Republic..I bought a 3 pc. timing set at Autozone for 19.99 +tax!--I figured the guy would bring out a "Valuecraft" hecho en mexico box for that price,but I was suprised to see it was a Cloyes!.. :D --cheaper sets are made in mexico or tiwan out of powdered metal,and have cheesy timing chains..

The gears and chain had Cloyes stamped on them too-(and the Cam gear was steel.not nylon!)-no gaurantee it was USA made,but all I wanted was a stock setup for my DD 305 motor,nothing fancy..so I bought it..I got the timing gears and chain,a new stock Melling oil pump for 12.99,(old one swallowed some nylon cam gear teeth!) and the steel collar and driveshaft for the pump for 8.99,and a pan gasket (one peice rubber ,fel-pro "cheapie") for 18.99.,and timing cover gasket set for 8 bucks,..about 65 bucks all together!. I scored a stock new oil pan for 35 bucks to replace the leaky rotted one while I was at it too.... :crazy:

3. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

considering how long they last I usually spend a bit more for a name and one I can advance or retard. But even a cheapie is probably good for 50000 miles.( 85000 kilometers ?) P.S. I'm a old winnipeger, I read the sun online every day. God bless the Jets... R.I.P.

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Any steel timing chain and gear set is going to be just fine for a DD. The only reason you would need to get somthing better is if the engine is going to see 5000 RPM or higher on a regular basis.

5. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

its a DD that sees the occasional mud bath. I will call around the local shops and see what they have availible. This motor isnt going to be screaming at all, actually it will probably throw a rod if it does :haha: :haha: :haha:

I miss the Jets a ton, but the Moose are the Canucks farm team and they can put on one hell of a show in our new arena. If you come back to the peg for any reason I strongly suggest checking it out. The one thing it lacks are the urinal troffs and the line ups tend to get large inbetween periods. Power 97 one of the local radio stations auctioned off 6 feet of it for charity though! :bow:

If you are comin back to the peg make sure to bring a rig, there are some decent muddy rocky trails. The rock trails arent real full size friendly though.