Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Summit cams? Mine came in. . . any experience?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Aug 22, 2004.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Well, I ordered a Summit cam and lifter kit, maybe cheap, but it should only see a few months of use. It's a 282/282 with .465 valve lift and 224/224 duration @ 0.050" pretty decent size i guess, can't wait to put it in with the carb and intake i got /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif thought i'd let ya'll know- has anyone ever had any experience with summit cams?

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine has one in his 454 that runs racing fuel and he has had no problems, his motor is built up quite a bit.

3. BowtieRed

i believe they are manufactured by crane cams, but i just saw that one place, i forget where, so i guess they are probably decent.

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I have run several of them and have always been pleased.

Marv

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I do not know what all this talk about buying a cheap cam that will only be run for a few months because the camshaft is so cheap it will only last that long. I guarantee that if the engine is broken in properly on it initial start up, that your cheap Summit camshaft will last a couple of 100,000 miles.

The main reason people have camshafts that only last a few months is because they screwed up something on the engine during its initial start up and break in period. Most people screw up their new engine by not putting the distributor in correctly, and they sit there cranking the engine with the starter motor over, and over, and over, and over, and over...popping and banging the engine, until the engine is completely scarred up from the pistons to the main bearings.

This is what happens when an inexperienced "shade tree" mechanic tries to put a new engine in their vehicle.

6. BowtieRed

The reason it will only see a few months' use is because i am going full roller later on and just wanted to see some gains now. I am going to follow all instructions EXACTLY and keep it above 1500rpm and change rpm for the first 15 minutes and everything /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif