Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Summit converter's and Kicker shocks.....opinions please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, Mar 20, 2002.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

Summit converter\'s and Kicker shocks.....opinions please

Ok as much as I dont care for summit they have a 1500 stall for 90.00 and I am wondering if anyone has ran one on there K5 and or one similar, also Looking to find some kicker shocks that bolt to the leaf top plate and to the frame...where can I find some and will they help my wheel hop problem without hendering my travel to much?? THX everyone

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Re: Summit converter\'s and Kicker shocks.....opinions please

Kicker shocks - had them on my first 79 - no help with wheel hop or anything but looked cool /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif. Do you have blocks in the rear?

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Never been a fan of kicker shocks - I've been working on engineering something like Autofab's 2-link for Broncos <a target="_blank" href=http://www.autofab.com/16rear.htm>http://www.autofab.com/16rear.htm</a> - Puts an end to wheelhop and doesn't have a negative effect on travel. As for Summit's torque converters, I had great luck with one on my C10 - it survived (and I'm sure it's still running) a built 396 without a complaint.

4. twenty_below0

That looks good but i just want the tubing that runs to the frame not all the shocks, and dont want to pay 300.00 for those 2 pieces.........THX for the converter info, what rpm did it kick in at....if you can remeber.

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I dont know about the summit converters, but I blew up a hughes 2500 stall. I though it was my tranny, so I rebuilt it and it still happened, so now I need a converter. Buts thats with NOS and I have almost 700 ft/lbs at launch on the bottle /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

It kicked in right at 1900 RPM - More than enough for laying scratch in all 3 gears/forums/images/icons/wink.gif On the Autofab system I am/was planning to run just the bars - GM didn't leave us quite enough room for all the shock gadgetry. The whole thing's kind of moot for me at any rate right now, since I'll be sporting the ultra-groovy 67 F100 with green shag carpeting until the next project gets figured out.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you do a lot of crawling, the higher the stall speed of the converter, the harder it is going to be on your transmission. Higher stall=more heat generated, and you don't want your converter "slipping" constantly...if you spend a lot of time at low speeds, (non mud wheeling) a high stall converter is a bad idea.

8. twenty_below0

I will occasionally do some crawling but usually it's in the mud and or sand the river bottoms here are miles wide kind of fun to just cruise around out there looking for places to get stuck...LOL I will try the converter but will run a cooler and a fan on the cooler...our climate is fairly mild also. Still looking for the Kicker shocks ...where to buy them?? THX for all info