Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Summit headers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77crewcab, Aug 15, 2005.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Has anyone used the Summit long tube brand headers. I know they are cheapos about $75-80 but I am thinking about trying them. I think they are made by Dynomax or similar. Just wondering if anyone has any experience. Will be going on a 2wd 454. Part #SUM-G9011

2. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

had a set for a 350 before. loved them. price is definately right :waytogo:

3. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

how was the durability? How long did they last? Any fit problems etc?

4. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

5. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

6. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Sorry, dont have any info about the Summit brand headers. Im gonna be using Doug Thorley fell length headers, ceramic coated pretty soon. Yeah, they're pretty expensive, but I dont want to deal with the cheap stuff, plus I wanna keep my emission equipment. A search will bring up plenty of info on them. Just a thought.

7. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

was great set of headers. bouyght them originally for a 2wd pickup and put them on a 4x4 k5 instead lol :waytogo: also the 2.5" dual exhaust and turbo mufflers are great. i also got pipe and mufflers from summit.

bought some thrush?? turbos from a local vip auto part store and that went on dad's (was my 82 dd crew dual) truckw/ mr goodwrench 350 and headers. the summit sounded way better and also think they freed up more ponies.

8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

and another related note. i will be getting a set of bbc headers, h-pipe kit, 3" pipe, dual turbo mufflers all from summit when i get around to rebuilding the 454. :waytogo: summit has proven to me they make good stuff and i like them.

9. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Thanks that helps to have some first hand reviews. I am looking at the headers, 2 1/2 pipe, H pipe, Summit turbos

10. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:saweet: i am planning on 3" and h-pipe as i already know what a 350 sounds w/o h-pipe and with 2.5" duals dumped after mufflers :D and i am hoping that the sound will be even sweeter when i get the 454 rebuilt and dual 3" H and all :D am still considering sidepipes and dual flamethrower kit though.... just would make the crew dual even meaner. know what i mean? :D

11. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

You could just go with stacks at the front of the bed. Might have to be careful filling up if you go on the outside of the bed though. One little splash of gas could causse some big problems! I have thought of the stacks though :thinking:

12. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

will most likely end up with dumps right behind the cab :waytogo:

13. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

but i just think sidepipes with dual flame thrower kit would look real mean :D lol as for practical use, probably not. but they make varrying lengths too so i could potentially have sidepipes that end before the filler door too. it is a crew dual after all :D

14. hero

hero Registered Member

One thing I noticed when I was looking at the summit headers, is the tube was made out of a thinner material than the other brands. That's the only thing that made my decision between a set of hooker headers and the summit ones.

15. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

#3 spark plug wouldn't fit with summit headers,had to put a dent in the tube to clear it(there goes you're flow) will not buy them again.Spend the money on a name brand...Hooker.....

16. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have a bud who has a set of Summit Truck headers on his 91 k2500. They are holding up good and been on over 3 years. I have a summit H pipe on my 5.0 Mustang. Been on a few yeras and stil looks new. Also running summit mufflers. Have no complaints. :thumb:

17. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

From what I can tell the majority of experiences listed have been good. I feel like it is worth it to try them out. Not looking for massive power or anything just simple and cheap. Thanks for the replies!

18. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

did u try using header plugs?

19. BIGBAMA74K5

BIGBAMA74K5 Newbie

I have a set of them on my '74. They are very good for the price, just make sure you strip off the paint that is on them when they are shipped before you paint them with the high-temp. That way you will not have to take them off, clean them, and then repaint them. Don't ask me how I know.

Rush