Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Summit Racing.....bad service.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Jun 29, 2005.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Not bad....HORRIBLE.

For several years I've preferred Summit over Jegs...fast shipping, good selection etc. Well that day may have come to an end.
    I ordered a set of Hedman hedders and installed them. Turns out the drivers side is warped and won't seal. It looked a little off before installation but who(me) wants to believe that.
    I called Summit Racing to request a replacement for the defect. They refused to send me a replacement drivers side. "Can't split up a box, sorry". They did offer me a solution.....buy another set! Are you kidding me?
    "Sir, we can send you a new set that we will charge you for, then you can box up the old set and when we get back the other set, we will credit you back". NOT.

Not sure where they went to school for Customer service, but they must have played hooky alot. I spoke to the supervisor. Same answer. Well as the customer, I refused to have this be MY PROBLEM. If Summit is having a problem backing there product, that is THERE PROBLEM. They also offered for me to take them off my truck, box them up and send them in then they would replace. NOT.

SOOOO.....I called HEDMAN HEDDERS directly. The customer service was EXCELLENT. They back their product so I will continue to use them. The guy could not believe SUMMIT was not helping me. He even offered to send me a
    replacement, but did not have the one I needed in stock(CA smog). He said they warranty "half" sets all the time and Summit should be able to send me even half a set for replacement. I thanked him and ....

.....called Summit Racing back. Different cust serv rep. Same answer. At this point I'm done talking to these "lower" level guys who are reading script.
    I ask for someone that can fix this(anyone other than those I've spoken too).

The next guy answers and gets my story(I'm upset). He then says he will send out a set (no charge) and I can send back the defective part. WHAT? THEY AGREED TO TAKE CARE OF A CUSTOMER, NOT MAKE THE CUSTOMER TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM THEMSELVES?!?!?!? PRAISE THE LORD!

Closing to review:
    I can understand policy that limits liability and "shrink"(retail loss), but I just received these and was easily within a credible story time window if one was to exist. Anyways, HEDMAN gets a thumbs up for a no questions asked approach to fix the problem. Hedman, again, could not believe that Summit would not send me a part since they(hedman) has a great warranty program. Summit Racing needs to review there handling of this problem. DEFECTIVE PARTS ARE NOT THE CUSTOMERS PROBLEM. NEVER. If there is risk to sending out a replacement, its not the customers risk, its SUMMITS.

Sorry, been in retail to long to know that I'm right here.

later.

2. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I had that something like that happen to me. I bought a surp belt kit from them and the alternator that came in the kit was defective. So i call and they tell me to send them the alt. and they will send me one. Then the proced to tell me they are out of stock and it may be 4 wks till the have the right part. I told them that i cant wait 4 wks till i get the part and that i would not be doing anymore buisness with them in the future and the guy was just quiet on the phone till i said something not even a mention of let me see if.... Nothing I have yet to buy anything from them since then.

I ended up going to the local chevy dealer and they replaced the ac delco alternator for me at no charge. Said it had a lift time warrenty. And i didnt even buy the parts for this guy.

Thats customer service!!!!!

hopefully this doesnt happen to everybody.

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I had a Jegs rep hang up on me!!!!!!!!!

I ordered a set of headers which were supposed to come w/ an O2 bung... and of course, it didn't.... I called Jegs and the guy just quoted me a price for another 02 bung... I told him, “no... I don't need to buy ANOTHER one, just needed the one I was supposed to get in the first place...” …then, he just hung up...:mad: Guess since I wasn’t gonna be another sale for him, he didn’t want anything to do w/ me.

Once I calmed down... I called the Jegs and asked to speak w/ a manager... the manager said there was nothing he could do since he didn't have his name... he also sent out my 02 bung... but, needing my exhaust done ASAP, I just bought a nut the size of the sensor and used it instead....

I don't think any of the online brokers care about customer service... in fact, the people you talk to on the phone are probably in Singapore or somewhere else out of the country.... sad to say, but I think it is now just about moving as many parts as possible and worrying about getting it right later....

In contrast though... I've only had good dealings w/ Summit....

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have been dealing with Summit ever since I was able to work on things.. My fater has delat wiht them since the used to sell chrome wheels out of a garage...

In the beginning I never had a problem in the store or over the phone. But over the last 5 years or so I can see things going downhill and I am to the poitn where I wont order from them unless I am at the sotre or no one else has it...

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

wow
    I have always liked Jegs, I started to buy from them in the first place because i liked the story of a drag racing family that started a bisness from a little tiny store.
    I called them so set up some parts for my Mini, and the guy was super helpful, considering that my car is one that most people have never heard of.

6. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

ALL US local's that live near summit...refer to them as SLUMMIT!!!
    The owner doesn't run the place...so it's gone to hell. ;)

A good friend of mine is in customer service at slummit...
    I had a problem with a TCI convertor 2 years ago...
    the customer service dept. told me I was basically screwed.

A year later I met the person I now know from slummit..
    she took care of the whole problem..no questions asked...
    2 years after the incident.

When It comes down to customer service....slummit has been bad for 10 years...unless YOU actually know someone in customer service.

I'm glad you put them on the spot. :cool1: :cool1:

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have bought a lot of parts from Summit Racing, and have had no problems so far, but I would not rule out the possibility of having problem with them. I would like for someone that owns a retail business to explain to me why a company has to put up so many barriers to resolving a customer problem, when it would be so easy just to exchange the item or refund their money. Out of the Thousands or even Millions of dollars in sales they do each year, what is the logic behind pissing a customer off just to save a few dollars?

90% of the transactions I do through Internet and mail order go just fine, even if there is a problem, but it is the other 10% that just have to keep your money that you gave them no matter how many customers it costs them not to return it.

8. icer97

icer97 1/2 ton status

Ive had good service with summit. But now they have started shipping from another warehouse out of Nevada I believe. Everything I have ordered in the past only took 2 days to get to me through UPS. That was great! But the last 2 times ive ordered, half the parts show up in 2 days, and the other half has taken up to a week. All just because they had to open another warehouse. It blows. And what used to come UPS might now come USPS. :mad:

9. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yeah, but the flipside is that those of us on the other coast get their stuff quicker. My stuff usually ships from Reno, and I get it the next day :pimp:

-- A

10. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I'm not really suprised that they required the 1st set back before they'd sent the replacements. I've just dealt with that last week with a 100 foot pool vacuum hose. It was cracked at the end, but before they'd send me the replacement- I had to send back the defective one.

Is it normal for companies to NOT require the 1st set back? Just curious cause I'm sure they'd get screwed by people keeping the 1st set if it wasn't really defective and they called and said it was?

I've ordered from summitt and never had a problem, but I dont think you'll find a company that has a 100% customer satisfaction rating anywhere.

Brandy

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I just had to do the same thing about 2 months ago with Summit. A Ventshade broke on me during installation... They wanted the broken one back before they would send a replacement. I think that is the "norm" anymore.

Suprizingly I had a good customer service rep when I called Summit about it. Maybe it was Jerry's friend... :thumb:

12. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Thats why I shop local or JEGS :D

13. 1-ton

That is true. When it comes to doing custom projects on a vehicle be prepaired for things not to go 100% perfect. When you take on custom projects with your DD, with only a short window of down time, then you are just asking for trouble.

14. icer97

icer97 1/2 ton status

UHHH yea........but im more important!LOL :grin:

15. 1-ton

One of the problems with shipping items out of the Sparks Nevada warehouse for me is that I live in the state of Nevada, and I have to pay sales tax. That is why I check Jegs first before I buy from Summit.

16. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

You saying you have "been in retail" is fine and dandy but have you been in the mail/phone order retail side or the store retail side? When your only dealing with people is NOT face to face there is a certain amount of trust. That is trust on your side that the company your dealing with will take care of things. What protects the company from you? I'm sure they have been ripped off by more than one person with a scam. I think asking for the parts to be returned or bought before they send out the replacements is just and correct. I have recently dealt with one of the afore menchened companies and after damaging the part myself called and told them the story. It was not their fault and I expected no satisfaction. I did buy a new part and sent my old one back when the new one showed. I was reimburst for the part and the shipping in the end.

One point I would like to make is your not going to make the majority happy. But making this as big a deal is quite frankly waistful. You bought from them in the first place because you didn't want to pay the local or other internet price for the parts. Just like everyone else, no one buys from mail order companies for the customer service. If they did all the companies would be out of business. Instead the local stores WITH the customer service you expect (like the GM dealer stated before) go out of business, while the mail order companies thrive and grow so big the margin for error increases. Have I been burned by the big bad mail order man........YES have I gone back to them.....YES. Will I continue to give them my money? Most likely yes. Point is if you buy mail order and something goes wrong get ready for the worst, you are at their mercy and must follow their rules. There are becomming few and far between GOOD companies as the people are expecting more for less these days. Good help costs money and discount wherehouses will not be getting that help as long as everyone buys from them at those prices.

17. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Been buying from summit for 11 years now, and all my dealings with their CS have been excellent. I have even had parts swapped at no charge that were my fault due to ordering the wrong part. So they wanted the broken stuff back before sending you new? Doesn't sound unreasonable to me. If I sold you something and you said it arrived broken and wanted a new one I would like to see the broken one first. I don't know you from Adam. Why should I trust that you either won't send the broken piece back, or worse the piece wasn't broken and you just claimed it was. Or it was broken due to incorrect installation. In any case it is SOP not to cross ship items for most mail order houses. If you don't have the time for it buy at a local parts house and pay more. But I can guarantee if you got a defective part from a local parts house they would want it back before giving you a new one too. And if the part was special order they would have to ship it back to get a replacement.

18. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

the first time i have bought from Summit was around 1994 or so.
    ive been a loyal customer ever since.

i even bought my GM 454 crate motor from them.
    the f'ed up the order and sent me a GM goodwrench 350 instead, i refused the order, and the next day i had my Big Block.

they just told me they had to get ahold of Roadway who talked to the driver to make sure it was on the truck before they would send it out.
    i dont have a problem with that.

i just placed a $600 order thru them on sunday nite and received it today, except for my exhaust which is coming from Sparks, Nevada.
    that will be here tomorrow.

19. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

I like summit racing I will NOT order anything from any one othet then Napa, or summit. I just ordered a pair of headers, oil cooler, and tranny cooler.

20. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

I just got all of my order but my oil cooler...which is coming from Sparks, Nevada. That kinda made me mad but no big deal.
    Thanks
    Adam