Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Summit Racing Headers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Dec 18, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

my dad informed me that he ordered me headers for christmas, and told me to check the part number and confirm they'd fit. he got summit racing headers SUM-G9006. anyone heard anything about these? I hope they sound good- i'm not overly worried about leaks, because i generally run open exhaust, and that means no backpressure essentially, and things tend not to leak without much pressure. i think i will eventually got 3" exhaust into 40s, but until then, open headers. so, anyone know anything about them? i'd never seen that 3 pipe design before?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

here is a link headers
    i have never seen these before. wonder how much better they are than the 4 tube /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. BowtieRed

probably none, seeing how cheap they are /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i apid $5 less for mine from autozone /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I would bet they are not a 3 tube design. They usually only save that for Pontiac motors.

If they fit, they should work fine. While not a top of the line set, they will do the job. Make them last longer by sanding off the coating they come in, then use some high temp paint on them.

I have never tried it, but Eastwood sells some hi temp paint that I wouldn't mind trying someday....

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

something about this post seems so full of deja vu its not funny.... Did you and your dad talk headers christmas time last year?

7. BowtieRed

8. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I wonder what size primarys and secondarys /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My friend had a set for ~3 months. He abuses things. The exhaust flopped around one time and it broke the tubes away from the flange. They also dented when he dropped them. Like I said, he abuses things.

Hooker makes headers for $144. I recommend them. I like mine. They're on their second winter and I think they'll last through summer at this rate. They see about 7 months of snow/salt/sand and I never painted them.

10. BowtieRed

if you didn't look it's 1½" primaries into a 3" collector.

11. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have never tried it, but Eastwood sells some hi temp paint that I wouldn't mind trying someday....

[/ QUOTE ]

It burns off. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

First hand experience.. Oh well

John

12. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

back in 2001 summit had them on sale for $49.99 so i bought them- worked my a ss off putting them on and about every 2 weeks there was a new leak-the welds were crappy-poor quality.took them off and put manifolds back on-worst mod i ever did was summit headers-hopefully you will have better luck

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

the magazine Corvette Fever had an article on header painting not that long ago, and I *think* it may have been Eastwoods stuff.

Basically the article stated that like any paint project, prep and follow through are as important as the paint itself. Whatever they used required some kind of "baking" process, and if that wasn't done, it came off pretty quickly.

14. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Dorian-

I followed the directions to the "T". I sandblasted, cleaned with the proper solvent, recommended on the can, applied per directions, then baked as per directions.

Still burnt off. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I mean its ok, it lasted about a month but not much longer. Unfortunatly, the only thing that really lasts is that Ceramic coating applied by professionals.

Anywho, thats my .02,

John

15. jwglover

jwglover Registered Member

i had a set on my blazer,454, they lasted about 6 months,
    i bought a set of hedmans, 7 years ago!!, still on with out any tightning, leaks or cracks, and they were only $20 more. money well spent ,

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My buddy painted his headers with some stove paint (black) and it actually lasts a couple of years. Still tends to burn off at the head, but it burns off instead of flaking or peeling.

Then again, up here, they don't use salt, so even if it gets a little surface rust, it doesn't hurt anything for a few years.

17. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

No I will tell you what lasts forever, a nice layer of mud burnt onto your headers over a nice ceramic coating. That crap dont ever come off. I got the Thorleys off my 350 that have that custom coating on em, (well the pass side does have some burnt on oil from the engine going boom) but that stuff is bullet proof. I mean i tried to clean em up to try to sell em, but i cant get it off, and they still sit here.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Damn straight! I had mine in the bathtub and that mud sure is cooked over the ceramic coating pretty good.

19. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

One thing I noticed is that in their description they write:
    [ QUOTE ]
    manufactured in the U.S.A. from heavy gauge .049 tubing,

[/ QUOTE ]
    while all of the other headers in their catalog have the actual gauge of the tubing listed. So I looked it up and .049 tubing is 18 gauge, which is the thinnest wall tubing that is ever found in headers. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Any thinner and you could just about bend the tubing by hand. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif