Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Summits starter heat shield...installation?'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Jun 1, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Summits starter heat shield...installation?\'s

Just got mine today from Summit. No instructions as I expected, but I also expected it to be very self expanatory. Nope. Anybody know where to mount it and how to keep it there?

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Re: Summits starter heat shield...installation?\'s

I have one. Just line up the tabs on the bracket and don't be afraid to turn it around until it makes sense how it is.
    Seriously just get under your truck and hold it up to it.

-- Mike

3. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

what are the symptoms of a starter getting hot from the headers? I think i might need one of those shields.

4. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

it has trouble starting when it gets hot....I had this and i just installed a remote solenoid. it was like $30 from summit and it worx perfect. while i was at it, i also just put on a new mean green starter. problem solved

NITRO

5. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Okay guys, I'm not that mechanically inclined I guess. I see absolutely no place to mount it. Does it attach to the starter itself? Or the frame? Do I have to remove the starter to install it. I was under my truck for about 20 minutes just trying to figure out the whole thing. Just a little piece of metal giving me a heckuva lotta trouble

6. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

dude, dont feel bad, i bought one from jc whitney and never could get it to fit either. im thinking different bolt patterns for different years ? maybe after market starters also, different ?
    there are foil covered insulation type material ones out there also, i bought one, fasted by velcro fasteners, easy to install, solved problem.

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Yes, it physically bolts to the starter.
    You see the part of it that is curved? That part is curved the same as the starter. It should use the existing starter bolts (or the bolts that attach the soleniod to the starter or one of the other unknown bolts that you can see on a starter) to attach to the starter.
    When installed, mine is about 3/4" away from touching the starter.
    Here's a pic of mine. I hate the goldish color, but it was like $20 so WTF at least it's not chrome and it is functional.

<a target="_blank" href=http://users3.ev1.net/~mattell/frame/heatshield.jpg>http://users3.ev1.net/~mattell/frame/heatshield.jpg</a>

It also uses another bolt hole on top (you can't see it in the pic because of the angle.)

-- Mike